Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

******* women and cars

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Would you rather I stayed off here and slapped her around a bit so you didn't have to read this?

I realise that it's not what you were really trying to say, but this comes across as something quite nasty and you didn't need to say it to defend your position.

I had exactly this situation a couple of weeks ago, except it was my passenger side headlight bulb that had gone. I KNEW it would be an absolute pig to fit, because the battery is very close to the outer casing of the back bit of the headlight that you have to open, making it very awkward to unclip and refit. So as I paid for the bulb in Halfords, I idly enquired how much it would cost to have it fitted. Turned out it would be £7.99 (!!), and it would be about 10-15 minutes before "Katie" would be along to fit it for me. I simply couldn't bear the thought of sitting there like a lemon with the bonnet open while a GIRL fitted my headlight bulb for me, so I said "nah its alright", and made my way to my car, in the Halfords carpark.

It was dark
It was wet
It was windy
It took me 20 minutes
It took the skin off the back of my hand
I swore. A lot.

But in the end, I still felt like a MAN.

So did you drive off and find one???

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I see what you did there.

Couldn't be further from the truth dear boy. Good to see you stereotyping me though!

NSC at its finest.

I have been trying. Even using GIRL language. But it never sunk in obviously. I even tried using the analogy of not overfilling the washing machine as the middle of the load doesn't get washed properly as it's too full and that didn't work. How much simpler could I make it...:moo:

(and it's not a boy racer type car, I have a car that "boy racers" aspire to own. But that could be a whole different thread)

Do you not see the irony of this :laugh:
You accuse him of stereotyping you then explain to your good lady that its akin to filling a washing machine !!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpgStereotyping? Sorry you may have to explain.

I fully understand the point you are making on this thread , I realise you are trying to teach your girlfriend how to put oil in her car . But it would be far easier to put in the oil yourself or get her another car.

But here you go bragging again about your ' go faster stripe wagon ' and all the time she has an old Astra with an oil fault.
:wozza:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I see what you did there.

Couldn't be further from the truth dear boy. Good to see you stereotyping me though!

NSC at its finest.

I have been trying. Even using GIRL language. But it never sunk in obviously. I even tried using the analogy of not overfilling the washing machine as the middle of the load doesn't get washed properly as it's too full and that didn't work. How much simpler could I make it...:moo:

(and it's not a boy racer type car, I have a car that "boy racers" aspire to own. But that could be a whole different thread)

Do you realise how patronising you sound?

And please open a new thread about your car that boy racers aspire to own. I can't wait for the details.

D

Deleted member 22389

I had exactly this situation a couple of weeks ago, except it was my passenger side headlight bulb that had gone. I KNEW it would be an absolute pig to fit, because the battery is very close to the outer casing of the back bit of the headlight that you have to open, making it very awkward to unclip and refit. So as I paid for the bulb in Halfords, I idly enquired how much it would cost to have it fitted. Turned out it would be £7.99 (!!), and it would be about 10-15 minutes before "Katie" would be along to fit it for me. I simply couldn't bear the thought of sitting there like a lemon with the bonnet open while a GIRL fitted my headlight bulb for me, so I said "nah its alright", and made my way to my car, in the Halfords carpark.

It was dark
It was wet
It was windy
It took me 20 minutes
It took the skin off the back of my hand
I swore. A lot.

But in the end, I still felt like a MAN.

That does sound a bit silly lol. How would you feel if your wife or GF was the bread winner? This is the exact position I am in now, since I'm only earning a quarter of what I used to earn being self employed. My wife goes out to work full time and I look after our daughter, since the price of child care is absolutely ridiculous. I change my daughter, take her to groups where most of the time I am the only bloke. I have nothing to talk about to these women, and it was hard at first listening to women talking about baby's hair colour, pregnancy, but you know what I thought **** it. I'm doing a valuable job here, and I will never get these years back with my daughter. I don't feel less of man for doing it. There are still a few things I cannot do and my wife understands, that is getting her clothes ready in the morning.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I can do all the basic maintenance jobs on my car, unlike a male friend of mine who waits till he gets a warning light before filling up with petrol or oil.

I dont see any problem with that. That's what the warning lights are for, isn't it? Just for interest, here in South Africa there are no self-service garages and the pump attendants will always ask if you want oil, water and tyre pressures checked. Then they will pump the tyres and and fill oil and water if required. Plus, they will always clean the windscreen and rear window if needed. No charge except for oil, if needed. Best to tip them though, in case you ever go back there!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Because I'd like her to actually do something for herself for a change instead of relying on me?

I get quite a lot of phone calls from her along the lines of "what does it mean if......?" and "what happens when I do......?"

I've been trying to teach her the basics but nothing has sunken in obviously. So this should just be another thing to add to the already long list of stuff that I already do for her then?

Not trying to sound patronising in any way but it would be helpful if she even had just a little bit of enthusiasm to things and learn for herself rather than relying on me. Not too much to ask is it? I've got enough to look after without pandering to her all the time thanks.

My daughter got my mother's car, Astra, when she decided she was too old to drive any more (kept hitting stationary objects). On her first long trip the oil warning light came on when she was driving home but she didn't know what it was so she just kept driving until the engine seized up near Heathrow Airport. End of car.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm a bloke and have:

Overfilled the oil
Put Petrol in a Diesel
Locked my keys in the boot (with a virtually new born with me)
Reversed into a brand new Jag
Reversed into a Garage
Reversed into a post
Reversed a DB9 into a tree (that's expensive BTW)

Bloody women drivers, eh!

I've hit numerous stationary objects over the years; trees, bollards, kerbs, lampposts, rocks, a stationary truck, but I've never hit another moving vehicle in 40years. I think it's a concentration issue when driving at slow speed.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I dont see any problem with that. That's what the warning lights are for, isn't it? Just for interest, here in South Africa there are no self-service garages and the pump attendants will always ask if you want oil, water and tyre pressures checked. Then they will pump the tyres and and fill oil and water if required. Plus, they will always clean the windscreen and rear window if needed. No charge except for oil, if needed. Best to tip them though, in case you ever go back there!

Sounds like a good scheme. I only do it out of necessity.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've hit numerous stationary objects over the years; trees, bollards, kerbs, lampposts, rocks, a stationary truck, but I've never hit another moving vehicle in 40years. I think it's a concentration issue when driving at slow speed.

I'd agree with that, yes mine have all been silly issues. The DB9 however, was a tree growing at a 45 degree angle, and, like an idiot, I was waiting to hear the beep, beep, beep but all I heard was crunch!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen Edna contribute to this thread.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen Edna contribute to this thread.

And, as if by magic :wave:

I can check (and fill) the oil in cars, and all the other basic fluids that need checking & topping up. I've changed the wiper blades and light bulbs plenty of times (though car manufacturers are making this more and more difficult to do). I've also changed the wheel on my own car on several occasions, and quite regularly do it for other people while on duty.

I came across a car with a flat a while back, with two blokes in it, and both were standing around looking worried. "We've got a puncture", they said. "Fine", I told them, "I'll wait here behind you to give you a bit of protection while you change it" (it was by the side of the A23 at Bolney). I'd assumed the reason they were waiting rather than getting on with it was because they were worried about whether it was a safe place to do it.

"Erm...we don't know how to", said one of them. Men. Two men. Driving a car. And neither of them had the first clue how to change a wheel :ohmy:

I gave them the most condescending smile I could possibly manage, changed it for them, and sent them on their way.

Bloody MEN, eh? :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here