Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

******* women and cars

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I got a oil pump that sucks the oil out through the dipstick hole if of use?
Designed for the likes of smart cars that do not have a sump plug and is designed to have the oil removed form the the dipstick hole and boat engines that are so far down in the bottom of the boat you can't access the sump with out taking the engine out, it you local to Brighton you welcome to use it as it sale the grief of disturbing the sump plug.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i can understand the anger, because you should have kept an eye on the oil and jolly well know this. :whistle:

unlikely to do the rings by overfilling the oil, that would blow a gasket or seal. the damage while the oil was too low is the question...

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I really hope they're not. I'm seriously hoping that the oil that has got through into the combustion chambers is enough so it has released enough pressure to save it. She drove about 5 miles.

Here is a list of the most common symptoms for bad piston rings:

White or gray exhaust smoke
Excessive oil consumption
Low power for acceleration
Overall loss of power or poor performance

Think your O/P mentioned three of those.

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/symptoms-of-fried-piston-rings

I really hope that I'm wrong and you caught it early enough. Good luck.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
No you pay them to repair and service it, not look after it on a day to day basis.
Meh. Why do I need to check anything? It tells me when to put fuel or screenwash in it or if the tyre pressure is out. If anything else needed doing it would be the dealer's problem.

I'm good with DIY or IT jobs at home but for me cars are for driving and that's it. I get people who like to tinker with them but if that's your bag then don't slag off those who don't. Especially if they're your bird and you probably should have been doing that job for her.....

[emoji6]

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Meh. Why do I need to check anything?

Because you have a legal duty to maybe,
As a driver you are responsible to check, lighting, tyres, condition, and pressures, and safety of the car before you drive each time, or course we don't all do it but you have a responsibility to do it.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
On the oil subject, recently bought an Audi A5, it's oil consumption is ridiculous, I reckon I will have gone through 5 litres in barely 1000 miles. That can't be right surely. It's in my garage most of the time but no sign of an oil leak

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Because you have a legal duty to maybe,
As a driver you are responsible to check, lighting, tyres, condition, and pressures, and safety of the car before you drive each time, or course we don't all do it but you have a responsibility to do it.
Er, I already said that the car tells me if anything isn't working or if the tyre pressure is wrong.

Are you suggesting that I should check everything manually every time I drive it and if so what's the point of the system that does it automatically?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She was on her way to the childminder to pick up our daughter so I've told her to take mine to get her and I'll try and limp hers to home so I can drain the excess out. I got about a mile
You did what!

Is there a thread yet saying '******* men and cars, stupid boyfriend drove my car after he knew there was a problem with the oil'?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Women Eh? Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

You should know better to let them anywhere under the hood.

Of course I'm generalising here, there are a few that are ok but not many.*

*awaits castigation

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So what? What's the point of looking under the bonnet anyway? With modern cars you need one of those ££££££ computer analysing thingies before you can do naff all.

I bought my car about twelve years ago, a rebuilt right-off with 20 or 30K on the clock. I think I put oil in it once - apart from that I only lift the bonnet to put in screen washer; don't bother with the radiator, 'cos the radiator cap ain't on the top of the radiator any more - f*** knows where it is. I've had it serviced maybe half a dozen times now, and it recently clocked up 160K miles. Its little 998cc engine probably won't do the ton any more, but sails down the motorway at 80 quite happily, and would probably still go to 90 if pushed. What's the sump - and who the f*** cares? Get over it - the car broke down! Nowt to do with women drivers!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Letting cars out at junctions? Never a woman letting you out and heaven forbid you try to let a woman out they just sit there staring ahead:moo:
Always let them pass, never get into a situation where they have to reverse[emoji35]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Meh. Why do I need to check anything? It tells me when to put fuel or screenwash in it or if the tyre pressure is out. If anything else needed doing it would be the dealer's problem.

I'm good with DIY or IT jobs at home but for me cars are for driving and that's it. I get people who like to tinker with them but if that's your bag then don't slag off those who don't. Especially if they're your bird and you probably should have been doing that job for her.....

[emoji6]

However clever your car is with warning lights etc. you still need to be able to read and understand the word MAX on a dipstick.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here