Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves have asked Brighton permission to speak to Gus Poyet

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
IF and im only saying IF Gus was to leave now, I would waste no time at all and get either Curbishley(ex player) or Billy Davies in asap...Davies done a great job at Preston, got Derby to the prem and Forest(look at them now) to the play offs last two seasons, cant believe he is out of work tbh.

Davies is to be avoided at all costs. That's why he hasn't got another job. Curbishley though, I totally agree. Another name for the mix - Dave Jones?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Failed at West Ham? I don`t think so.

I would say Curbs neither failed or succeeded at WHU. Kept them up in his first season (or arguably Tevez did) second season finished 10th and then resigned early into his third season. His reputation wasn't trashed but I dont think it was enhanced.

Not that I don't like him, just want better. Guess we beg to differ. Of course if Gus does ever leave, I would be happy for Curbs to take us up!

Interested to know who you think is better than a manager who is ex-Albion and been nothing but a complete success for years in the Premiership? I don`t think he will nor do I want Gus to go but if he did and Curbishley was to replace him, I would be very pleased.Poyet is a good manager who is still learning,he is great for the Albion and the Albion is great for him,but nonetheless,Curbishley is the real deal.There are other potentially good managers that may be available,but Curbishley already has a great pedigree.

Last edited:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I heard an interview with Wolves' chief executive last week and he said that the job was not for a novice. Surely Gus is a novice in the grand scheme of things?

Appointing GP, Lee Clark or Brian McDermott would be a massive gamble by Wolves at this stage of the season.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
So is this actually new?
The guy who tweeted it on Saturday seems to imply not, and the information about Bruce and Curbishley not going was available then too.

Gus has said repeatedly that it would take something special to get him to leave, and that he wants to work long term. Is Wolves enough of a step up to be worth risking what he's built so far here in terms of his philosophy, his relationship with Bloom and security of his position for a punt on keeping Wolves up or being in the same position as us (probably) in the summer, but with a chairman more likely to bin him off (probably) and a famously negative set of fans? I'm not sure.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Wolves though have money and are as big or bigger than us, and I suspect Gus's constant press whoring to talk himself up into a top job may require another stepping stone to get there. Keep Wolves up, get them mid table, then he can get the job he so publicly covets with a top ten team.

Wolves go down with parachute payment and he will have just as much chance if not more with them than us, hell he might even recall Vokes!!

Poyet joined us at just the right time. Will he get the same kind of freedom there as here? He would want a clear out and his people in, I doubt wolves would go along with it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ole Gunnar please,

Would make my life complete. I literally fell in love with him from his debut with Manchester United all those years ago.

Which of course would make him the IDEAL candidate for the hotseat at the Amex :facepalm:

f***ing hell.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Poyet joined us at just the right time. Will he get the same kind of freedom there as here? He would want a clear out and his people in, I doubt wolves would go along with it.

This - plus Gus is VERY clear that he wants 100% control....would he work for a chairman who actually turns up in the dressing room?! Would he abandon a project in which he is masterminding the academy, the development squad, etc, etc? Would he also go to the Midlands (which I believe has SOME nice spots) and give up life in God's own county??? All this in addition to the fact that Wolves are NOT a big club and are very likely to go down.

Personally I would be AMAZED if Gus went for this one. There are some very good reasons why other managers are apparently turning it down.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That depends on wolves staying up and us not going up. Wolves are a joke club, I can remember them tumbling down the league with 3 consecutive relegations They are not even biggest in the midlands, behind villa, birmigham and west brom in acheivement.

It would be a gamble and a bad one.

Don't know about Wolves being a joke club but have to question their Chairman prioritising the rebuilding of a perfectly ok ground over investing in Premiership quality players to increase the chance of consolidation rather than relegation. So any potential manager would have to question their priorities and judgement. Having said that Swanseas and Norwich haven't exactly broken the bank in achieving relative success, so it can be done but theirs is on the back of momentum from Championship campaigns, not fighting a rearguard action at the bottom of the Premiership as Wolves have to do. Either way if I were a Wolves fan I would be very p****d off.

Not sure that Gus is the right answer for Wolves, he would demand a new style of footie and they don't have enough games left to turn it around, unless the Chairman accepts relegation and a season in the Championship. In which case Gus might be tempted but is more likely to stay with us, especially as the Bloom/Poyet masterplan is only in its second full season. We don't have a divine right to keeping Poyet as manager and given his background suspect he would aim higher than Wolves ie Spurs, Chelsea or Zaragosa although I don't think he would be favourite for either of the former.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Wolves have a great tradition. There is no escaping that fact. Sunday came as a reality check in that whilst we are mixing it well with the Championship (albeit defensively), the Premiership is so far away and there is no realistic chance of us doing that successfully without 'funny money'. Brighton is legit (relatively) so how much further can Brighton go ? Not too far perhaps but perhaps with more style. Managers have a shelf life and Gus needs to consider his.

I reckon the bookmakers' odds are about right. Forget Gus's past words, they are just that. This is now. We wait.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wolves want a coach to keep them to save them losing £30 millions next year. And he he has got to be bloody fantastic with their fixture list. The only thing that can keep Wolves up is the other drowning clubs being even more inept than Wolves. No chance of any permanent signings before the dreaded drop.

They don't a Manager they need a Miracle!

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2011-2012 Home - statto.com

They need three wins out of five in March, or two wins and two away draws (29 or 30 pts). And then they might still have to beat Wigan away in May in the last game of the season.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here