[Albion] Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread **

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Just pleased that Traore only played 20 minutes otherwise may have struggled to keep 11 men on the pitch and the result could have been very different

Totally agree. The most dangerous player on the pitch by a mile, always looked to go past players and always succeeded!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Decent performance and a very good point against a very good side (yes, these are a good side!) today. Downside is that it won't be long - long before we play Arsenal - before bad and lazy punters will be coming out with the only sound-bite they know: "Brighton, mmm yes, you know, they haven't won a single match this year!"

When will it first surface? What's the odds on MOTD tonight?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Not the first half (of the season) - that was some of the most enjoyable football I've seen us play. Disappointed with what's happened in 2020 really.

Fair enough, I agree with that to be honest. Is it fatigue? As the GP system is hard on the legs? That and we’ve needed to counteract certain things as we’ve been ‘watched.’ All credit to GP for forcing PL opponents to alter their game to try and beat us/avoid defeat. Rather different than last seasons nine men behind the ball antics. Hey ho.

Forward we go!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well earned point, Bissouma was the Daddy sadly our first pair of wingers poor

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Fair enough, I agree with that to be honest. Is it fatigue? As the GP system is hard on the legs? That and we’ve needed to counteract certain things as we’ve been ‘watched.’ All credit to GP for forcing PL opponents to alter their game to try and beat us/avoid defeat. Rather different than last seasons nine men behind the ball antics. Hey ho.

Forward we go!

I think it's a confidence thing. When we didn't 'need' the points as such, we could afford to try things out and play the way we did. But then after a few poor results, and we start actually needing points, it's harder, as your first instinct is 'don't lose - play it safe' - so we seem to be less confident in going forwards and a bit more ponderous. I still can't get over that winner against Everton when on 94 minutes we had about six players in their box - whereas recently, we've often had no-one in the box for anyone to aim at, so we go backwards.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Football is played more than one way.

Hughton’s team gave a defensive masterclass last year, to say anything else is changing history.

Today another great performance, but little threat.

Just really pleased with how it’s gone. Definitely the better team today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only the bottom 3 lost more games last season (20) and finished with a -25 goal difference and conceded 60 goals.
This season we've lost 12 games with 9 games left to play, have a -8 goal difference and condeded 40 goals.
We would have to concede 2.2 goals per game and lose all but 1 game to match this defensive masterclass of last season.

It's a tough run in and we could obviously concede a few goals against Liverpool, Leicester and Manchester United and City, but at the end of the season I actually don't think the defensive stats will look much different than last season. The biggest issue (still) is not finishing teams off and making the most of the chances created, which at this level means the difference between playing Premier League football or Championship football next season.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Good point at a good team.

If Brighton lose I don't drink on Saturday night.
If we have a good result, like we did today, I have a beer. Tonight will be much more fun than last Saturdays crap result.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Sky sports news and Paul Merson saying it was a poor game, but Brighton did the job that they came for ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Only the bottom 3 lost more games last season (20) and finished with a -25 goal difference and conceded 60 goals.
This season we've lost 12 games with 9 games left to play, have a -8 goal difference and condeded 40 goals.
We would have to concede 2.2 goals per game and lose all but 1 game to match this defensive masterclass of last season.

It's a tough run in and we could obviously concede a few goals against Liverpool, Leicester and Manchester United and City, but at the end of the season I actually don't think the defensive stats will look much different than last season. The biggest issue (still) is not finishing teams off and making the most of the chances created, which at this level means the difference between playing Premier League football or Championship football next season.

I really don’t care for stats [emoji2]
It’s the points and position which are important. City were brilliant last year and we concede 8 against them, Chelsea with Hazard were also better and we conceded quite a few against them. Not to mention the freak Bournemouth result which was when were absolutely terrible.

We stayed up last year and hopefully we will again. However, defensively there is no doubt in my mind that we look weaker.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I really don’t care for stats [emoji2]
It’s the points and position which are important. City were brilliant last year and we concede 8 against them, Chelsea with Hazard were also better and we conceded quite a few against them. Not to mention the freak Bournemouth result which was when were absolutely terrible.

We stayed up last year and hopefully we will again. However, defensively there is no doubt in my mind that we look weaker.

Factually we are not. Simple. Just because you don’t think 1 + 1 = 2 doesn’t mean you’re right.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Very different opinions from the Talksport commentary team then. They were full of praise for the Albion.

I was wondering if I'd gone mad after reading almost comprehensive praise on NSC, so I looked up the first 5 match reports for headlines and excerpts.
For what it's worth, Vs the Talksport commentary team:

BBC: 'dull goalless draw against out-of-form Brighton.'
Sky Sports: 'a game of few openings', 'The passing rarely managed to find its way into the final third of the pitch', 'That just about summed it up on a day when neither team did enough to score.'
ESPN: 'a dismal 0-0 draw at home'.
The Guardian: 'a largely uneventful Saturday afternoon'.
Birmingham Mail: 'lacklustre draw'.

That was largely how I saw it up to the 80th minute.
But I completely understand the general positivity on here, maybe due to the teams below us losing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports