Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Without our supporters we don't exist" Paul Beirne: from NHL, NBA and MLS to BHAFC

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So why does a 1/3 of the crowd leave early then?

You've already answered that. You can't look beyond it being a poor transport system, so that's the answer.

I think it's an pretty poor reason if you think it's the best, or even 'a pretty good one'.

Nothing to do with, say, the culture of people leaving early which has existed since the dawn of time. Well, at least as far back as the Goldstone.
Or maybe parents prefer to get children out of a busy situation
Or maybe people have convinced themselves that there is a bigger problem than there is
Or maybe people have to be elsewhere
Or maybe people prefer to feel that they have an entitlement to get home sooner than everyone else

It's OK - we'll stick with a 'poor transport system', as that's the only reason.

Me, I'm like most people and am fine with it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hopefully our major transport problems will one day also be Premier League Ready, like oh I don't know...

...Tottenham, for example.

Exactly!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
You've already answered that. You can't look beyond it being a poor transport system, so that's the answer.

I think it's an pretty poor reason if you think it's the best, or even 'a pretty good one'.

Nothing to do with, say, the culture of people leaving early which has existed since the dawn of time. Well, at least as far back as the Goldstone.
Or maybe parents prefer to get children out of a busy situation
Or maybe people have convinced themselves that there is a bigger problem than there is
Or maybe people have to be elsewhere
Or maybe people prefer to feel that they have an entitlement to get home sooner than everyone else

It's OK - we'll stick with a 'poor transport system', as that's the only reason.

Me, I'm like most people and am fine with it.

It would be interesting to ask the early leavers why then do leave early.

IMO the vast majority would say 'transport issues' and not any of the other reason you list.

I'm pretty sure you live in Brighton, can hang around for half an hour or so after the game, and then take the train back to Brighton.

Not everyone does or can.

Anyway, that's my final post on the subject, and having had exchanges with the club, it's clear that they don't see an issue (neither of those I questioned had ever used any of the Park and Rides) so nothing will change.

Shame, as there are a few simple things that could be done to improve things.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not everyone travels by train.

I meant to add, nor have I had issues when I've travelled by bus, bike, nor indeed aeroplane. I realise not everyone lives locally though.

I generally get the train now I live in Newhaven though tonight I'm going to walk from Woodingdean (where I work), then walk back after the game and drive home.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I meant to add, nor have I had issues when I've travelled by bus, bike, nor indeed aeroplane. I realise not everyone lives locally though.

I generally get the train now I live in Newhaven though tonight I'm going to walk from Woodingdean (where I work), then walk back after the game and drive home.

Excellent cycle path / footpath there now. We've used it a couple of times, but not yet for a night game.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Are you going tonight ? I shall be there as I will be on Saturday as I was at Withdean where we had Championship football too

I don't see how that's relevant. My point is that yes, results and success are important - but at the same time we need the infrastructure and revenue streams in order to help us compete. They're not mutually exclusive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anybody, Albion or Visting fans, who moan about getting away from The Amex should look at other clubs and their exit and getting away times. White Hart Lane last week was awful-we didn't go in a pub, stop for food or stop and chat. It was 10:30 before we got on the tube and that was after finally getting on a bus for part of the journey. By the time we got to Victoria the trains were full with people sitting on the floors.

That scenario is repeated at many clubs around the country. The Amex system means that most people don't have to walk for 45 minutes to get a bus or train to take them home. There might be a wait at Falmer station but it is only a couple of minutes away.

I park in Lewes and am usually back there within 20 mins of (hearing) the final whistle, sometimes quicker - the last couple of Saturday games I have walked straight onto a train just after 5pm. For recent examples of other grounds, at Bournemouth I waited 45 mins just to exit the car park, at Brentford I waited at least 30 mins for a train back to Clapham. Not sure why so many leave quickly - but think it's mostly perception of crap transport rather than actual crap transport, as it has improved significantly. Anyway, let 'em carry on, makes my trip home easier.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If you don't go you don't contribute to the revenue stream or need the infrastructure so your point of view is worthless

Wow. Just wow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, not at all. Two or three of our highest earning players will earn as much as all of the rest of the staff put together. It is solely ridiculous player wages that are to blame.
So what exactly do our highest earning players earn then? I thought we were supposed to be pretty frugal (relatively speaking) when it came to doling out the dosh. We know (or think we do!) that one of our none footballing employees is on 10 grand a week (£500K a year), and I'll wager there's quite a few on considerably over the average wage of £25 - £30K a year.

I'm sure that overall the players' wages bill is bigger than the admin./executive wages bill - and so it damned well should be; but is the bureaucracy, and the director of this, director of that type of mentality costing more than we should be paying out? I know where I'd prefer to see cuts made (even if PB MkII is a nice bloke!)

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So what exactly do our highest earning players earn then? I thought we were supposed to be pretty frugal (relatively speaking) when it came to doling out the dosh. We know (or think we do!) that one of our none footballing employees is on 10 grand a week (£500K a year), and I'll wager there's quite a few on considerably over the average wage of £25 - £30K a year.

I'm sure that overall the players' wages bill is bigger than the admin./executive wages bill - and so it damned well should be; but is the bureaucracy, and the director of this, director of that type of mentality costing more than we should be paying out? I know where I'd prefer to see cuts made (even if PB MkII is a nice bloke!)

Another suit to pay and how is his performance judged, increased crowds?
Tuesday's attendance must be a worry for him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Another suit to pay and how is his performance judged, increased crowds?
Tuesday's attendance must be a worry for him.
Yep it's attendance related, he now owes the club £80k. Another master stroke from Paul FFP Barber.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The piece states that Paul will be on The Albion Roar this weekend. Would be good if [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] could ask where the lines of management responsibility now sit, i.e. what are Paul Beirne's targets and what are Paul Barber's? My guess would be that this seems to be a sort of combination of Operations and Sales and Marketing type role allowing Paul Barber to run the club day by day on behalf of TB. However, that's not quite what others have stated in the past.

Have a read though, Not Worth That is a great blog and it's worth while making your own mind up.

It wont be asked as it would not fall into the category of questions the club would wish to answer, remember it is not Harty asking a controversial question.

Wrong again BG, you tiresome twerp.

Listen in for the answer, if that's not too complicated for you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wrong again BG, you tiresome twerp.

Listen in for the answer, if that's not too complicated for you.

I'll be downloading the podcast for one of my rarer trips to London tomorrow. Hope you got the initials in the right order ;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here