Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Without our supporters we don't exist" Paul Beirne: from NHL, NBA and MLS to BHAFC

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It wont be asked as it would not fall into the category of questions the club would wish to answer, remember it is not Harty asking a controversial question.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Some surprisingly cynical responses above. All I can say is that I had a drink with our newest Paul B shortly after he arrived in the UK and he seems to be a really decent chap, well grounded and well qualified to try and make improvements in the areas he has responsibility for. I'd almost expect him to be a generally positive influence on the areas he doesn't have direct responsibility for.

It's a tough task filling the empty Amex seats though, particularly when faced with the current run of results.

I'd say all too predictably cynical responses.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
PB : First – the transport program fascinates me. I think we have a system that is best in the world,Here at the Amex you can be off the site and on your way in 15-20 minutes.

"can be"

Only if you leave before the end of the match.

On the NWSS coach you must be back home before 6 on a Saturday. That's not too bad, is it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It wont be asked as it would not fall into the category of questions the club would wish to answer, remember it is not Harty asking a controversial question.

Really? Sounds like just the sort of question that would get asked.

Exactly. Though how it would be phrased is the key. You really can ask the same question numerous ways. For example I doubt Al (or Aidy) would say "aren't you just doing the same job as Paul Barber?". It would be more along the lines of "Tell us about your role at the Albion and what your responsiblities are" with a follow up if necessary. Not that I have to tell the two gents that as they're pretty good at what they do but it seems others still need it pointing out.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tonight I'm going to have a quick pint after and fully expect to be on the next timetabled train to Brighton.

The piece states that Paul will be on The Albion Roar this weekend. Would be good if [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] could ask where the lines of management responsibility now sit, i.e. what are Paul Beirne's targets and what are Paul Barber's? My guess would be that this seems to be a sort of combination of Operations and Sales and Marketing type role allowing Paul Barber to run the club day by day on behalf of TB. However, that's not quite what others have stated in the past.

Have a read though, Not Worth That is a great blog and it's worth while making your own mind up.

Good question. Would be interested to hear the answer.

Indeed. I'm confused as to who does what, and who sits where in the hierarchy, and would like to know myself.

Of course I can ask that. What's controversial about asking about the management structure of the football club?

Brian, you get odder and odder every day.

Some surprisingly cynical responses above. All I can say is that I had a drink with our newest Paul B shortly after he arrived in the UK and he seems to be a really decent chap, well grounded and well qualified to try and make improvements in the areas he has responsibility for. I'd also expect him to be a generally positive influence on the areas he doesn't have direct responsibility for.

It's a tough task filling the empty Amex seats though, particularly when faced with the current run of results.

Unless the 1901 water slide is up and running i'm a bit baffled by the 15/20 minute heading away on transport comes from,very difficult when leaving 5 minutes early tbh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We park in the Uni car park. I never leave before the end. It takes 10 minutes to walk to the car and never queue for more than ten before we are on th A27.
Hopefully our major transport problems will one day also be Premier League Ready, like oh I don't know...

...Tottenham, for example.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Everything else is pointless, a decent team playing decent football is all supporters care about the rest is insignificant FLUFF

Would that have been the case if we had won L1 back in 2011, but not had the Amex waiting for us? Championship football at the Withdean?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Needlessly negative opinions. Our transport system is incredibly efficient. Fans have a number of choices but all involve getting away from the stadium with relative ease.

Not needlessly negative IMO.

I questioned the match day ticket sales and transport.

(1) We have c22,000 STH? So when we have attendances of 24,300 like for Rotherham, we have sold approx. 2,300 match day tickets including the away fans. Pretty poor IMO

(2) If the transport system is so wonderful, why have a third of fans already left before the final whistle?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Needlessly negative opinions. Our transport system is incredibly efficient. Fans have a number of choices but all involve getting away from the stadium with relative ease.

Anybody, Albion or Visting fans, who moan about getting away from The Amex should look at other clubs and their exit and getting away times. White Hart Lane last week was awful-we didn't go in a pub, stop for food or stop and chat. It was 10:30 before we got on the tube and that was after finally getting on a bus for part of the journey. By the time we got to Victoria the trains were full with people sitting on the floors.

That scenario is repeated at many clubs around the country. The Amex system means that most people don't have to walk for 45 minutes to get a bus or train to take them home. There might be a wait at Falmer station but it is only a couple of minutes away.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Anybody, Albion or Visting fans, who moans about getting away from The Amex should look at other clubs and their exit and getting away times. White Hart Lane last week was awful-we didn't go in a pub, stop for food or stop and chat. It was 10:30 before we got on the tube and that was after finally getting on a bus for part of the journey.

That scenario is repeated at many clubs around the country. The Amex system means that most people don't have to walk for 45 minutes to get a bus or train to take them home. There might be a wait at Falmer station but it is only a couple of minutes away.

So why does a 1/3 of the crowd leave early then?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So why does a 1/3 of the crowd leave early then?

You tell me!

People used to leave Withdean 10 minutes early-there will always be people who leave early and blame 'poor transport' as their excuse.

Compared to most other clubs The Albion's transport efforts are one of the best. Try getting away from most London clubs where despite having the most comprehensive transportation in the UK it can be a frigging nightmare. The Amex is a doddle compared to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here