Without Googling - what does Albion mean?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
"perfidious Albion" has long been a pejorative phrase used by other countries to describe treacherous and duplicitous acts by British governments. I've always thought it had a nice ring to it.
I expect we'll hear it used again in the coming months in the context of Cameron trying to find ways of getting special treatment for the UK in the EU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfidious_Albion

My girlfriend is Spanish and i think when i first told her about the one true Albion she used that term - or more specifically the "perfidious sons of Albion". Ok she was at university for about 10 years finishing off with a PhD in archaeology so perhaps her knowledge is not that of the average jose, but she declares that that's what we're generally known as.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Albion means 'Of England'. Why are there teams in Scotland who have Albion in their name?

Because it refers to the whole island and the notion of Albion pre-dates that of England. The Gaelic Alba is from the same root (likewise the Welsh Yr Alban). I think there's a theory that it's from albus for white but that could be a backwards derivation, I don't think anyone knows where the word "Albion" is from.

The whole notion of names in the British Isles is an interesting one. Lloegr, Welsh for England, originally referred to the mid, eastern and southern parts of the country. Wales means foreigners, ironically, given they were the originally inhabitants. Why is it Scotland and not Pictland? And why is it England and not Saxonland (although the Welsh still call the English, Saxons)

A group of states/countries/separately ruled kingdoms (like in the olden days of South Saxons). Alternatively a large imposin pub on the Northern outskirts of Edenbridge that I went in once - long closed and converted to flats.

Looked it up - sort of vaguely in the right area but I would say that!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And why is it England and not Saxonland (although the Welsh still call the English, Saxons)

I seem to remember reading that a possible derivation of England wasn't from 'Angle' but from 'ing' meaning 'people of' as in Worthing, Lancing etc. England could possibly come from Ing-land = Land of the people.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Here's a nice easy one, without googling:-

What does the Sussex word bostal mean?:

Pretty sure that bostal is a mispronunciation of the world borstal, which itself is the correct word for an improvised weapon made from putting a couple of pool balls in a sock but commonly mistakenly used to refer to the building in which this weapon was typically used.

What do I win?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The Kingdom Of Albion often mentioned in King Arthur stories = Britain

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
When Napoleon used "Albion" he was referring to the whole UK but in those days the term "England" was used to cover the UK by the English, in fact Wellington called his army the "English" army even though it was full of soldiers from all over the UK as well as the King's German Legion from Hanover, based incidentally at Bexhill. So "Albion" does mean "England" but it was also a blanket term for all the UK territory ruled at the time by George III.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I always thought it was Britain or England.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
ALBA was the original name for Gaelic Scotland so no relevance there !

ALBION I have always understood to mean 'power house / source' hence for example 'Albion Motors' ( originally part of British Leyland )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A Bostal is a track that leads up to the top of the Downs. We have one at Firle, called "Firle Bostal".
Is the right answer:-
Bostal - (Sussex) a small road leading up a hill.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I seem to remember reading that a possible derivation of England wasn't from 'Angle' but from 'ing' meaning 'people of' as in Worthing, Lancing etc. England could possibly come from Ing-land = Land of the people.

Interesting; not seen that before. How authoritative is that source?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I understood it to be an old name for England although I have seen a sailing ship on an Albion pub sign.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Think I am right in saying, Chichester F.C became Chichester City United F.C when they amalgamated with Portfield, please someone confirm this or I will forever doubt my wisdom.

That is correct, and they played as United for a number of years, but now they have reverted to just Chichester City FC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports