Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Without Googling - what does Albion mean?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thought it roughly meant England.

Have we got a definitive, detailed answer?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I always thought it meant 'Of England' ?

So we're "Europe Ready"?

BTW, as a kid I assumed it meant "United", meaning the two towns joined together.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
"perfidious Albion" has long been a pejorative phrase used by other countries to describe treacherous and duplicitous acts by British governments. I've always thought it had a nice ring to it.
I expect we'll hear it used again in the coming months in the context of Cameron trying to find ways of getting special treatment for the UK in the EU.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfidious_Albion

Like it , Soistes.......When I chose my name, I was thinking of frustrating and sometimes disappointing, (like last season) rather than duplicitous...but I came to learn a more accurate description...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a nice easy one, without googling:-

What does the Sussex word bostal mean?:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why are people persisting in using only one word in a two word phrase? As any fule kno, the full phrase is "Albion nil". In this context, it's clear that the meaning of "Albion" is "Were loose".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thought it roughly meant England.

Have we got a definitive, detailed answer?

thought Thunder Bolt did the best in post 4, the "of England" means essentially the same thing, though literally speaking i dont believe the Romans saw any difference been England and Scotland as a place (just the tribes here were inside or outside the tent). trouble with words is often have different meanings in context so you'll not get a definitive answer on such an ancient word thats be lost and rediscovered over time.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Without Googling or looking at replies on this thread, I think it has something to do with ships. Could be a meeting place, authority or union within the old shipping industry.

But now I have Googled :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Here's a nice easy one, without googling:-

What does the Sussex word bostal mean?:

isnt it a hill fort or some other type of ground works?

in looking this up (post answer), im pleased to report though there are a good 15+ Sussex words for mud. (bostal isnt one)

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Never could understand that Albion Rovers thing - you don't get teams like City Rangers, or United Hotspurs. Why couldn't they just call themselves Coatbridge, or Coatbridge Rovers or something?

Chichester City United FC ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here