Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean car park

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Once upon a time, I managed the shoppers' park & ride service at Withdean, on behalf of the council. My comment is, therefore, made from a position of some experience.

If you want to know how the car park is managed, ASK THE COUNCIL, not NSC.

If you just want to stir up trouble ... carry on.

Not sure this correct LB, on match days its the stewards at the top of the slope who decide who goes in that car park, at the Hereford game it was footy fans only,!!! see previous post on page one

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Steward 433 - no he's not - have you ever seen him quoted in the Argus, on TV or on the radio?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes to all 3

do you know who Paul Camillin is? that balding bloke with a small beard and glasses on a rope is Dick Knight.

PC is the bloke who organises where the press sit at Withdean and answers questions on NSC (he's also a decent guy)

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Try googling his name with the following 3 additions

1. argus
2. bbc news
3. southern counties

He has also written several books on the albion in his very little spare time.

Edit p.s. Don't make yourself look foolish by trying to belittle me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Try googling his name with the following 3 additions

1. argus
2. bbc news
3. southern counties

I haven't looked at them all but other that the recent Hart/Hawes incident he hasn't said much/anything this year

let's agree to differ:bigwave:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
do you know who Paul Camillin is? that balding bloke with a small beard and glasses on a rope is Dick Knight.

PC is the bloke who organises where the press sit at Withdean and answers questions on NSC (he's also a decent guy)

Paul does a hell of a lot more than that.

But you're right, he is not often - if ever - quoted in the press. Press Officers rarely are.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I don't know which is why I asked the question.

I have a right to know because the car park is council property.

If you don't know, why do you accuse the club of double standards?

You DON'T have a right to know. The use of the Car park is an agreement between the council and the club. That is an agreement that you could object to with the council.

However once the club has that agreement, they are surely the sole arbiters of who they allow to use the car park and for whatever reason they choose.

Are you saying that the club should submit the names of all permitted users to the council, or the fans, so that the reasons for permission can be evaluated and accepted or otherwise?

Ridiculous. In fact your complaint is so ridiculous that I can only agree with others that you are looking for any ammunition you can to have a go at the club.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If you don't know, why do you accuse the club of double standards?

You DON'T have a right to know. The use of the Car park is an agreement between the council and the club. That is an agreement that you could object to with the council.

However once the club has that agreement, they are surely the sole arbiters of who they allow to use the car park and for whatever reason they choose.

Are you saying that the club should submit the names of all permitted users to the council, or the fans, so that the reasons for permission can be evaluated and accepted or otherwise?

Ridiculous. In fact your complaint is so ridiculous that I can only agree with others that you are looking for any ammunition you can to have a go at the club.

The agreement is the car park is not to be used for supporters coming to the game and the use of the car park is for SHOPPING park and ride only, with provisions for match day staff, player officials in a specially cordoned off area and for those with disabled permits.

But this is not happening, anyone who turns up at the car park can enter and are not stopped by the stewards, as stated previously, they actively tell shoppers it for football supporters parking only on match days only !

This is completely the opposite of the clubs agreement with the council over the use of Withdean.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
On match days the p+r car park is for the sole use off people wanting to go shopping in town,players are designated the pub car park for their cars and stewards park in the tennis court up by the sports complex. The directors and officials are giving reserve spaces next to gate 21,if anything other than this is happening then the car park stewards need reminding of their responsibilities.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Looking at the RR peice, the boy done well. I knew of him, slightly, from school (he's younger) and can only recall that his name seemed to be joined with mischief.

Well done to him. Derek chapman has a similar backgrounf (Moulsecoomb to Millionaire) and i'd rather have genuine Brighton bods involved that some from elsewhere.

Take the article with a pinch of salt - it was in Absolute Brighton which is ultimately owned by Ian Steele. Ian Steele along with people such as Dave Day, Glen Mishon and RR are the "mafia" of Brighton ( and just in case there's a misunderstanding I don't mean in an illegal sense ! ). Look at the social columns of local mags and it's always these guys in them - a case of you big me up and I'll big you up ???

That said RR did help get rid of Archer AND he used to do his Christmas light charity bit on his house in Woodland Drive ( before some moaning scrote made it too much both for him ).

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
On match days the p+r car park is for the sole use off people wanting to go shopping in town,players are designated the pub car park for their cars and stewards park in the tennis court up by the sports complex. The directors and officials are giving reserve spaces next to gate 21,if anything other than this is happening then the car park stewards need reminding of their responsibilities.

:thud: Is that just what i said ? or just further conformation ?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Take the article with a pinch of salt - it was in Absolute Brighton which is ultimately owned by Ian Steele. Ian Steele along with people such as Dave Day, Glen Mishon and RR are the "mafia" of Brighton ( and just in case there's a misunderstanding I don't mean in an illegal sense ! ). Look at the social columns of local mags and it's always these guys in them - a case of you big me up and I'll big you up ???

That said RR did help get rid of Archer AND he used to do his Christmas light charity bit on his house in Woodland Drive ( before some moaning scrote made it too much both for him ).

Were they also behind a free mag that used to found in pubs that have stacks of these type of things? Most are about the gay or arty-farty side of Brighton but this was by some real 'geezer' types and was quite interesting.

I saw a couple of editions in the Star but not seen them around for some time. I particulally remember one article where one of the 'lads' has sadly passed on and one of his creditors would not waived the debt. It was a 'name & shame' sort of article and doubtfull said villain would be getting much business put his way in future.

It was a bit of lad's backslapping, but i also know a couple of the lads, so good on 'em.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I worked on one of those lifestyle mags way before Absolute Brighton came out.

It was called Brighton & Hove Life, and we did features on the likes of Robbie Raggio and his family, plus the Social Diary pages seemed to carry the same faces month after month.

Robbie, Dave Day, Richard & Judy Baker (Richard was then manager of The Grand), Angelo Cavallo (owner of Topolino Duo), Julien Boast (then boss of the Theatre Royal), Neil Lenham (SCCC), Chris Ellison (DI Burnside), Sue Addis, Ian Hart (whatever happened to him?), Bob [can't remember his surname] who was then boss of Southern FM plus many others.

Suffice to say when the magazine was sold on, we didn't get half as many invites to social functions.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Were they also behind a free mag that used to found in pubs that have stacks of these type of things? Most are about the gay or arty-farty side of Brighton but this was by some real 'geezer' types and was quite interesting.

I saw a couple of editions in the Star but not seen them around for some time. I particulally remember one article where one of the 'lads' has sadly passed on and one of his creditors would not waived the debt. It was a 'name & shame' sort of article and doubtfull said villain would be getting much business put his way in future.

It was a bit of lad's backslapping, but i also know a couple of the lads, so good on 'em.

Can't remember the exact name but yes I suspect it was one of his publications. It's his son ( or son-in-law ) that runs the current mag.

Ironically, after posting this I then saw a car being washed at RRs car wash with the number plate Mr Lion - couldn't possibly guess who that could be !

And I'd forgotten some of the people on TLOs list who make up the rest of the "mafia" but I do wonder where they get the time to run all these businesses when all they appear to do is go to functions - nice life if you can get it !

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just discovered this thread by accident as currently doing some work for one of the gentlemen mentioned in the thread.

Do similar parking arrangements exist at the Amex?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here