Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Winter transfer window - will we go for it, and for whom?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot see us bringing in that elusive striker as they wouldnt pay the money for Vydra although it must be said he 'hasn't set Reading alight. I think the one we should have gone for is Forestierie who went Sheff Wed. Still think we could do with Kevin Nolan.as the AM

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I cannot see us bringing in that elusive striker as they wouldnt pay the money for Vydra although it must be said he 'hasn't set Reading alight. I think the one we should have gone for is Forestierie who went Sheff Wed. Still think we could do with Kevin Nolan.as the AM

It's quite simple, Vydra was a loan fee. You're throwing away £2.5 million. We'll spend the money but it will need to be on a young striker with a sell on value. That is how sensible teams work rather than throwing away money on a one year loan signing.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean

I don't think us not paying the money for Vydra is relevant, considering he would only have been on loan and we have since bid €10m on another striker.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes of course, that'll be it...my opinion differs from yours so therefore I don't watch games :facepalm:
I'd get over the snide remarks if I were you, you'll hear and read much much worse from football fans wherever you go, and about players much much better than Baldock too. It's all about opinions.

If you say Baldock is the same as CMS, then yes I think either you don't watch the games or you've made your mind up about Baldock and won't see what he brings to the team.

I'm not suggesting it's not about opinions. I'm saying there's way of stating your opinions that make you look crass and you did that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's quite simple, Vydra was a loan fee. You're throwing away £2.5 million. We'll spend the money but it will need to be on a young striker with a sell on value. That is how sensible teams work rather than throwing away money on a one year loan signing.

Spot on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How about a bid for Ulloa as Leicester probably didnt pay cash up front and if we could bring him back for bout £4m it would represent good business. They have said they will not loan him out only a sale.

As regards a loan for Vydra the possible prize at the end of the tunnel of £80m + for promotion makes it a fair gamble.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
How about a bid for Ulloa as Leicester probably didnt pay cash up front and if we could bring him back for bout £4m it would represent good business. They have said they will not loan him out only a sale. As regards a loan for Vydra the possible prize at the end of the tunnel of £80m for promotion makes it a fair gamble.

He would be good. We need a goal scorer ASAP. Looking at the FL highlights showed this for me.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How about a bid for Ulloa as Leicester probably didnt pay cash up front and if we could bring him back for bout £4m it would represent good business. They have said they will not loan him out only a sale.

As regards a loan for Vydra the possible prize at the end of the tunnel of £80m + for promotion makes it a fair gamble.

But you're throwing money away if you don't go up. It was a ridiculous fee that Watford got from Reading, who were quite desperate. It's the sort of gamble that can leave you in financial problems too.

Also, if Leicester do sell Ulloa, it will be for more than £4 million. Murray went to Bournemouth for £5 million and Ulloa is younger and has a better record in the Premier League

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But you're throwing money away if you don't go up. It was a ridiculous fee that Watford got from Reading, who were quite desperate. It's the sort of gamble that can leave you in financial problems too.

Also, if Leicester do sell Ulloa, it will be for more than £4 million. Murray went to Bournemouth for £5 million and Ulloa is younger and has a better record in the Premier League

It depends on what Leicester still owe, which nobody on here knows. Perhaps wipe out the debt and couple of million it is onlya discussion point.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It depends on what Leicester still owe, which nobody on here knows. Perhaps wipe out the debt and couple of million it is onlya discussion point.

Not arguing that he would be a good option but the cost is concerning. Whether we'd be better off spending £6.5 million on Ulloa than Calleri is also questionable as Ulloa knows the Championship and wouldn't have to adapt to a new country.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
RHODES
silly bid might just bring him here

Problem with Rhodes is the Venkeys refusing to sell to teams in our division. They would not budge of Marshall and I believe they turned 14 million from Middlesbrough in the summer whilst saying something like they would sell him for less to a PL club. He does look a very good striker though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

NO it doesn't. The loan fee Reading paid for Vydra was ludicrous sheer madness. Compare, for example, with the fee Bristol City paid for Kodjia. I know who got the best deal, and it wasn't Reading...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not arguing that he would be a good option but the cost is concerning. Whether we'd be better off spending £6.5 million on Ulloa than Calleri is also questionable as Ulloa knows the Championship and wouldn't have to adapt to a new country.

Without asking the club wouldnt know whether or not it was a viable option, perhaps they have.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
NO it doesn't. The loan fee Reading paid for Vydra was ludicrous sheer madness. Compare, for example, with the fee Bristol City paid for Kodjia. I know who got the best deal, and it wasn't Reading...

I dont agree I dint think that Kodja was anything special. He didnt score and didnt give Dunk or Hunemier too many problems. Vydra is proven where as Kodja is still relatively unknown and is in the same position as Ventokele of Charlton who was mustard last year but pony this.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
hindsight is a marvellous thing, but maybe we should have pushed the boat out and got Jay Emmanuel Thomas from Brizzle along with Baldock ?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Or select two first teamers and make them practice free kicks an hour every other day. It's quite unbelievable any professional can't take a free kick from 25-30 yards and hit the target virtually every time with pace and power, never mind the fact that out of ten outfielders we have no one that excels at it. We should be looking at 7 - 10 goals a season being scored this way, absolute no excuses and is a glaring part of our game that is missing. :annoyed:

100% this. It's so frustrating knowing that nothing is going to come from our set pieces. I genuinely wonder if we work on them at all in training.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You know what Glasfryn, i was thinking exactly the same watching Blackburn on the highlights. Huge money BUT we can always sell on so it wouldnt be that much and if we go up he would be one to stay.

I watched most of that game and he needed service to suit him and with the crowds there decreasing as we speak
a cheeky bid might tip them into excepting

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I think we have a leader in Kayal and I also think Bruno showed greAt character as captain yesterday too. We finally have that sorted.

All we really desperately need is a proven goalscorer because Bobby can't do it all on his own

Bruno is 35 mate hes older than Greer so could possibly his last season too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here