Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winifred Zahaha £4M?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
This is just brilliant , the thread that just keeps giving :smile: 73,000 views and still growing . His value must have soared by at least 100 millions after those goals ,wernt they crackers ! :clap2::clap2:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
But the funny thing was , from the outset you weren't anywhere close to signing him but CPFC2010 suggested otherwise and in the end made to look like muppets. My source in Yorkshire told me he wouldn't be signing for Palace a good 4 weeks before DF and SP were forced to officially confirm that Ross wasn't heading for South London.

your source in yorkshire ? Thing is we dont need him with FFS murray scoring for fun . A good quote from dougie in our local rags saying that glenn has finally realised what cpfc is all about and is coming into training smiling . So glenn has grasped what we know about our special club , it took time but its paying off and he is unplayable atm !

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thing is we dont need him with FFS murray scoring for fun
From the penalty spot.
So glenn has grasped what we know about our special club , it took time but its paying off and he is unplayable atm !
From the penalty spot.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
From the penalty spot.
From the penalty spot.

Er, he's also scored 3 from open play but feel free to miss them out. It must hurt seeing a former crowd favourite now scoring and being idolised by your most hated rivals. Glenn Murray :bowdown:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
A quiet game for Wilfried involves scoring two belters and getting fouled in the box (any competent referee would have given a penalty and a red card to Sako)?

That'll do. I hope he's quiet more often.

Can't say I agree with that at all. I was sat in a completely different stand to the Palace fans, which obviously gives a different impression of the game. That doesn't mean I am right and you are wrong, it just means that I saw things differently. However, the only red card should I would have given was for that foul to the Wolves player, where he got stretchered off (didn't even get a yellow). It was a very sensible decision by DF to substitute the offending player.

Didn't see any penalty shouts I would have given - both Wolves and Palace had one weak claim each, both minimal contact, both overly dramatic, and both fair tackles.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is just brilliant , the thread that just keeps giving :smile: 73,000 views and still growing . His value must have soared by at least 100 millions after those goals ,wernt they crackers ! :clap2::clap2:

I saw one of his goals on ssn, looked like it took a wicked deflection to me (the one from the edge of the box the flicked up over the keeper).

Not that he isn't a good player. I remember seeing him on the football league show last season prior to our first meeting and thought he looked to be very dangerous. I just find it ridiculous how around the time this thread was started every time a palace fan came on this board his value increased. Started at 5m went to 7m, then to 10m (all within a couple of days, not after particular performance showed 2m and 3m worth of improvement). It was ridiculous, and that is what I believe most people make fun of on here.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I saw one of his goals on ssn, looked like it took a wicked deflection to me (the one from the edge of the box the flicked up over the keeper).

Not that he isn't a good player. I remember seeing him on the football league show last season prior to our first meeting and thought he looked to be very dangerous. I just find it ridiculous how around the time this thread was started every time a palace fan came on this board his value increased. Started at 5m went to 7m, then to 10m (all within a couple of days, not after particular performance showed 2m and 3m worth of improvement). It was ridiculous, and that is what I believe most people make fun of on here.

So if he improves at the rate he is what could we expect to get for him say at the end of the season 5m 7m 10m or more ? (usumming we dont go up that is )

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So if he improves at the rate he is what could we expect to get for him say at the end of the season 5m 7m 10m or more ? (usumming we dont go up that is )

I've never been good at rating players' value, I'm not going to start now. I will say, I think fans are generally way out of sync with actual values when it comes to transfer and wages, as I explained earlier in the thread, where deals are more complex than a given figure and what is revealed is not always true, and even those that are true at the time are later shown not to be (basic figure announced, then years later it might be shown there were appearance bonuses and such - Bobby Zamora ended up bringing us more than 500k).

Especially since it depends on how much a club wants to buy a player, how much a player wants to leave, how much a player wants to stay (and keep in mind each of them will lie to fans/press about it to aid their position in negotiations/experience at the club - if a club admits to being eager they will not get as good a deal for them, if a player admits to not wanting to be there he risks the wrath of the fans and possibly losing his place if the manager feels he's not giving his all). Deals are far more complex than most fans appreciate when coming up with their guestimates for transfer fees.

To answer your question I don't know, I've not seen enough of him to really assess all his strengths and weaknesses to even begin to ballpark it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

This stuff is difficult to judge.

£12-15m for a 17 year old with less than 40 appearances and none at Premier League level? That was Oxlade-Chamberlain. Looks good business now, but there were many saying "how much?!?" at the time. If diver-boy is any good, that has to be the benchmark, surely?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

£12-15m for a 17 year old with less than 40 appearances and none at Premier League level? That was Oxlade-Chamberlain. Looks good business now, but there were many saying "how much?!?" at the time. If diver-boy is any good, that has to be the benchmark, surely?

But that is also largely based on the strength of Southampton's academy, which has produced the likes of Bale, Walcott and Bridge.

Whereas Palace's academy has produced....err....Moses.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thing is we dont need him with FFS murray scoring for fun
glenn has grasped what we know about our special club , it took time but its paying off and he is unplayable atm !

Er, he's also scored 3 from open play
Scoring 3 goals from open play is hardly unplayable and scoring for fun is it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That would be the benchmark if Zaha was as good when he was 17 as Alex was. As it is, Zaha is a year older than Alex, and not as good, so while talented and young, he's not as good or as young as Alex.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

That could well be the benchmark , if he improves at this rate we wont keep hold of him . My mate coached him at junior football level and still speaks to him and the good thing is atm his head in in the right place .

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
But that is also largely based on the strength of Southampton's academy, which has produced the likes of Bale, Walcott and Bridge.

Whereas Palace's academy has produced....err....Moses.

why is bridge suddenly on that list ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is just brilliant , the thread that just keeps giving :smile: 73,000 views and still growing .
You do know this is also the official "Take the piss out of the Nigels" thread too ???

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and the outstanding members on the list were Walcott, Bridge and Bale.

Wayne Bridge has played 36 times for England. That's a long way ahead of anything any Palace academy players have managed so far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That would be the benchmark if Zaha was as good when he was 17 as Alex was. As it is, Zaha is a year older than Alex, and not as good, so while talented and young, he's not as good or as young as Alex.

And isn't from Southampton's academy. I'm sorry but that's a key point.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

You mean why is (voluntarily ex-) England international, premier league winner, fa cup winner, league cup winner wayne bridge on a list of quality products from the Southampton Academy?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And isn't from Southampton's academy. I'm sorry but that's a key point.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't have any idea what value other clubs would put on that. If one player is better and younger than another, it's easy to see how their value is higher. How much their value is affected by which academy they trained at is a lot harder to define.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here