Winifred Zahaha £4M?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Don't worry about our financial situation, the owners have been quite upfront about the financial shortfalls since they've been running things, so all Palace fans know players will have to be sold at some stage.
If I were a Brighton fan, I'd be a bit concerned with your financial situation. How long before TB says enough is enough ? Is it a debt, or shares ? Will he pay any transfer fees this pre season ? Will he rely on freebies and loan players ?

eh? Our financial situation is the best it's been for 30+ years. You are a fool, who clearly knows nothing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"No disrespect to Newcastle, but when he leaves Wilf will be going to a bigger club" - Dougie Freedman, January 2012.
I saw this post and assumed it was made by a Brighton fan. But no, you are joining us in laughing at the stupidity of your club? Or is Zaha really going to a bigger club than Newcastle?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
You OBVIOUSLY have to take into account Games Played, which you keep choosing to ignore.

Which do you think is better, someone who scores 4 goals in 2 games, or 5 goals in 35 games?

1. Why wasn't Buckley playing? Injury prone? Unfit? Out of form?
2. He scored more goals and got more assists, but you're right, he DID play more games.
3. He's STILL 3 years older. When discussing young players that makes such a difference. His potential is massively bigger than Buckley's, which is why he's worth five times as much.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I saw this post and assumed it was made by a Brighton fan. But no, you are joining us in laughing at the stupidity of your club? Or is Zaha really going to a bigger club than Newcastle?

When he goes, I'd be very shocked if he didn't go to a top 4 club. Nobody else would be able to pay what he's worth, and Wilf will want to go to the best club can he get.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He had an injury.
3. He's STILL 3 years older. When discussing young players that makes such a difference.
I'm not actually sure anyone disagrees with you. Zaha's potential is higher, and Zaha is worth more.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
He had an injury.
I'm not actually sure anyone disagrees with you. Zaha's potential is higher, and Zaha is worth more.

Mellotron was. He has insisted a few times on the BBS that Buckley is just as good as Zaha...

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Can you clarify who those top 4 are?

I was speaking figuratively, but fair enough... I'd be shocked if he didn't leave Palace for Man United, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool. So the old "big 4" with the new addition of Man City.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mellotron was. He has insisted a few times on the BBS that Buckley is just as good as Zaha...
You are getting confused. It's quite easy to argue that Buckley is as good, he's played very well. Where many of us will agree with you is that Zaha, being younger, has more potential, and is worth more. But that doesn't make him better at the moment.

Sounds like a terrible deal to me. You couldn't buy a player as good as Wilf for anywhere near £2-3m. Nor could you buy a player with his potential for £5m.
Buckley cost us £1m, and scored more goals than Zaha, Lua Lua less than that and he has a much better final ball
So we disagree that you can't get a player as good as Wilf for anywhere near £2-3 m, ignoring potential (as you refer to him being more than £5m with his potential).

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
An extra goal and 4 more assists (in a team that hardly scored) is a significantly better return. Also, he is THREE YEARS younger than Buckley.

When Wilf is 22, he'd be expecting 9 goals and 5 assists in the Premiership, not the bloody second tier.

2. He scored more goals and got more assists, but you're right, he DID play more games.
3. He's STILL 3 years older. When discussing young players that makes such a difference. His potential is massively bigger than Buckley's, which is why he's worth five times as much.

Which teams did Zaha score his 3 goals against in the cup? Interesting you're so highly praising 1 more goal from nearly 20 more games played. It's not a great return is it?

As regards age - yes that means Zaha has more potential - but potential can mean little - look at Michael Johnson for example - World at his feet and then it all fell apart. Potential is great, but at some point he has to start realising that.

The real young stars of this country have been performing regularly for top end Premiership clubs already, and from younger ages than Zaha. Wilshere, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell, Welbeck etc. You're desperate to lump Zaha in with them but he is way way off that ability I'm afraid, a bigger club would have snapped him up a long time ago if they really saw him as the star you guys think he is. But instead, he's just attracting bids from Bolton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As regards age - yes that means Zaha has more potential - but potential can mean little - look at Michael Johnson for example - World at his feet and then it all fell apart. Potential is great, but at some point he has to start realising that.

The real young stars of this country have been performing regularly for top end Premiership clubs already, and from younger ages than Zaha. Wilshere, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rodwell, Welbeck etc. You're desperate to lump Zaha in with them but he is way way off that ability I'm afraid, a bigger club would have snapped him up a long time ago if they really saw him as the star you guys think he is. But instead, he's just attracting bids from Bolton

Very well put. Spot on, imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Which teams did Zaha score his 3 goals against in the cup? Interesting you're so highly praising 1 more goal from nearly 20 more games played. It's not a great return is it?

Sums it up. Absolutely spot on.

Zaha - good, but not great.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

f***ing cheek , Buckley isn't a one trick pony like Winifred , he's a gazelle.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I said last season, which obviously includes the cup.

Zaha got 9 goals and 5 assists.
Buckley got 8 goals and 1 assist.

Obviously Zaha had the better season, despite being THREE YEARS younger than Buckley, and playing in a very defensive team.

Just checked and Buckley and Zaha both scored 9 goals in league and cup last year according to Wiki.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just checked and Buckley and Zaha both scored 9 goals in league and cup last year according to Wiki.

Buckley's 'ninth' was the one against Newcastle, where he picked the ball up in his own half, megged his man, and ran 60 yards before firing a cross-shot across the front of the goal, which took a TINY deflection on its way in.

Imagine how annoyed you'd be that they chalked this up as an o.g., if you'd staked THREE pounds, on a 1-0 / Buckley scorecast, @ 40/1. Am I BITTER? Too f***ing right.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Buckley's 'ninth' was the one against Newcastle, where he picked the ball up in his own half, megged his man, and ran 60 yards before firing a cross-shot across the front of the goal, which took a TINY deflection on its way in.

Imagine how annoyed you'd be that they chalked this up as an o.g., if you'd staked THREE pounds, on a 1-0 / Buckley scorecast, @ 40/1. Am I BITTER? Too f***ing right.

Ouch

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was speaking figuratively, but fair enough... I'd be shocked if he didn't leave Palace for Man United, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool. So the old "big 4" with the new addition of Man City.

Ah, but the old "big 4" are Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and Everton. :p

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I had a score on the same bet (at 50/1 though). You do realise that you'll get paid for the correct score on that bet because of the og. Its the only situation that you'll get a payout (ie a correct 1-0 score but the goalscorer was an og). I got £200 back, as when the bet was struck the 1-0/Brighton was 9/1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports