Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winifred Zahaha £4M?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I meant lying in the other direction, for example suggesting the bid was higher than it really was (rounding up 4.5m as 5m) or giving the highest possible total (Bolton offered 3m plus an extra 2m if they had stayed up), because he can see other clubs circling and is trying to bump up the price.

Ok. I was referring to the oft quoted £7m that was repeated by Palace fans as if fact.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
In that case, how much would you value Buckley at? Bearing in mind he had a comfortably better and more effective season than Wilf.

I would put Zaha more in line with LuaLua - not as quick as Kaz but a LOT of raw talent but lacking decision making and final ball at times.

Actually - Zaha got more goals and more assists than Buckley last season. Added to that, Zaha is 3 years younger than Buckley. How on earth, then, did you decide that he had a better season? Wilf is an all round superior player, and in 3 years time will be even further ahead. Wilfried will probably be a solid Premiership player when he reaches 22.

I think it is clear to all that Wilfried is worth a lot more than Buckley. Sorry. Not that I think your William is a bad player, I think he's a good Championship forward. I just don't think he'll ever be playing for a top Premiership side.

Last edited:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Anyhow, in one post one of the owners says, "As I have said before, we'd have preferred it if someone else had bought Palace but there was no-one else so we did it and we're not complaining. It's a ridiculously expensive hobby but you can't take it with you so never mind."

It sits absolutely fine with us. CPFC2010 have said many times that they were very reluctant bidders. They didn't want to get involved until it was clear there were no other options. However, they have stated just as many times that they aren't reluctant OWNERS, and they really enjoy running the club with all it's challenges. Obviously it's a massive money sink for them as it is for any chairmen, but it's something they will continue to do until an option that is better for the club presents itself.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It sits absolutely fine with us. CPFC2010 have said many times that they were very reluctant bidders. They didn't want to get involved until it was clear there were no other options. However, they have stated just as many times that they aren't reluctant OWNERS, and they really enjoy running the club with all it's challenges. Obviously it's a massive money sink for them as it is for any chairmen, but it's something they will continue to do until an option that is better for the club presents itself.
Looks like you'll be running on a shoestring for the foreseeable then.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Actually - Zaha got more goals and more assists than Buckley last season. Added to that, Zaha is 3 years younger than Buckley. How on earth, then, did you decide that he had a better season? Wilf is an all round superior player, and in 3 years time will be even further ahead. Wilfried will probably be a solid Premiership player when he reaches 22.

I think it is clear to all that Wilfried is worth a lot more than Buckley. Sorry. Not that I think your William is a bad player, I think he's a good Championship forward. I just don't think he'll ever be playing for a top Premiership side.

Buckley 8 league goals, 16 starts
Zaha 6 league goals, 33 starts

Include cups
Buckley 9, 22 starts (some people give him the goal v newcastle, some say own goal)
Zaha 9 goals, 39 starts.

You can take that one goal off buckley if you like, but it doesn't really help make Zana look better since Zaha has 17 more starts and only one more goal to show for it.

Last edited:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Looks like you'll be running on a shoestring for the foreseeable then.

Err.... Does it look like that? That's not what CPFC2010 have said. We have a "very sizeable" budget for this season, "fit for a playoff push".

I wonder how Dougie will spend it. According to Steve Browett on BBC London, we've currently got 3 bids in for players.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Err.... Does it look like that? That's not what CPFC2010 have said. We have a "very sizeable" budget for this season, "fit for a playoff push".

I wonder how Dougie will spend it.
Irn Brew and Mars bars?

Jan 12, 2012
Don't worry about our financial situation, the owners have been quite upfront about the financial shortfalls since they've been running things, so all Palace fans know players will have to be sold at some stage.
If I were a Brighton fan, I'd be a bit concerned with your financial situation. How long before TB says enough is enough ? Is it a debt, or shares ? Will he pay any transfer fees this pre season ? Will he rely on freebies and loan players ?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Don't worry about our financial situation, the owners have been quite upfront about the financial shortfalls since they've been running things, so all Palace fans know players will have to be sold at some stage.
If I were a Brighton fan, I'd be a bit concerned with your financial situation. How long before TB says enough is enough ? Is it a debt, or shares ? Will he pay any transfer fees this pre season ? Will he rely on freebies and loan players ?

Haha, utterly horrendous attempt to try and turn things round about our finances. Genius

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Plenty of talk on here about CMS leaving us as part of an exchange deal. My source tells me that we should not be looking to Leeds for this transaction, but somewhere much, much, much closer to home.

How will you feel when you give us Zaha and 1 million in return?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Actually - Zaha got more goals than Buckley last season.

Buckley 8 league, goals 16 starts
Zaha 6 league, goals 33 starts

Don't go bursting the smug nigel's bubble, with your pesky facts. :nono:

Jan 12, 2012
Plenty of talk on here about CMS leaving us as part of an exchange deal. My source tells me that we should not be looking to Leeds for this transaction, but somewhere much, much, much closer to home.

How will you feel when you give us Zaha and 1 million in return?

I'm sure Wilf be be aiming his sights a bit higher than that.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Don't go bursting the smug nigel's bubble, with your pesky facts. :nono:

I said last season, which obviously includes the cup.

Zaha got 9 goals and 5 assists.
Buckley got 8 goals and 1 assist.

Obviously Zaha had the better season, despite being THREE YEARS younger than Buckley, and playing in a very defensive team.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I said last season, which obviously includes the cup.

Zaha got 9 goals and 5 assists from 39 starts
Buckley got 8 goals and 1 assist from 22 starts

Obviously Zaha barely had the better totals, but needed more starts and more appearances (47 v 35), with fewer goals on a per start and per appearance basis.

EFA

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Considering the history of the Bloom family with the Albion, it's fair to say confidently that Tony's in it for the long term.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

An extra goal and 4 more assists (in a team that hardly scored) is a significantly better return. Also, he is THREE YEARS younger than Buckley.

When Wilf is 22, he'd be expecting 9 goals and 5 assists in the Premiership, not the bloody second tier.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
An extra goal and 4 more assists (in a team that hardly scored) is a significantly better return. Also, he is THREE YEARS younger than Buckley.

When Wilf is 22, he'd be expecting 9 goals and 5 assists in the Premiership, not the bloody second tier.

You OBVIOUSLY have to take into account Games Played, which you keep choosing to ignore.

Which do you think is better, someone who scores 4 goals in 2 games, or 5 goals in 35 games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here