Winifred Zahaha £4M?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
As I recall it was your own fans that were bricking it regarding 27/9. Funny how even with the 3 points you took (deservedly on the night) we still finished 10 points and 7 places above you :lol:

You'll be using 27/9/11 for years to come no doubt as you love the past.

Sheltered life :lol: admittedly this is the only day of the year I have a drink, seeing as I've been caring for my disabled mrs for nearly 3 years.

Maybe we do go on about 27/9/11 a little too much but what a night it was! It will certainly take something special to beat it.

The sheltered life comment was nothing personal, I knew nothing of your personal circumstances. It was more aimed at your views that Brighton will now be ahead of Palace forever more just because you have a better stadium and fill it with more people. The end of the day football is won on the pitch, not off it. Granted though, your clubs current infrastructure compared to ours gives you an advantage in achieving more success on the pitch but I feel that the gap is nowhere near as big as some make out.

P.s happy birthday

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Maybe we do go on about 27/9/11 a little too much but what a night it was! It will certainly take something special to beat.

The sheltered life comment was nothing personal, I knew nothing of your personal circumstances. It was more aimed at your views that Brighton will now be ahead of Palace forever more just because you have a better stadium and fill it with more people. The end of the day football is won on the pitch, not off it. Granted though, your clubs current infrastructure compared to ours gives you an advantage in achieving more success on the pitch but I feel that the gap is nowhere near as big as some make out.

P.s happy birthday

at last a sensible post.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
A bit of a contradiction here.How can you say he isn't footing the bill ? Up to now, my understanding is he has self financed the whole process, from the Withdean debt ridden years, to the Amex, plus wages and transfer fees. I agree you are self sufficient now, but don't ignore the £120 mill plus he has pumped in to get you to this position. It was interesting reading your thread on Paul Barber about him bringing in outside investment, maybe TB has decided to stop using his own personal wealth ?

Or perhaps that's all part of being self sufficient?

Of course we needed a HUGE helping hand from Tony Bloom to finance the stadium and the increased playing budget to be competitive at this level. He is more than willing to pay for the start up costs for the stadium and the training ground/academy. All infrastructure that puts us in a great place to be self sufficient and with Barber bringing in more in the way of outside money rather than Tony having to dig deep in his pockets for ever more, we will pretty quickly be able to fund ourselves.

All being well we may then be able to pay back some of Bloom's investment in us.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Maybe we do go on about 27/9/11 a little too much but what a night it was! It will certainly take something special to beat it.

P.s happy birthday

Thank f***, a decent comment at last. Puts the views of that cpfc-charlie chap to shame, after boasting about being in a higher league thanks to none more so than the fact the whole club was living well beyond its means.

There isn't a lot of difference as you say, if Palace had played at Withdean having come back from playing 60 miles away or whatever I doubt they'd have attracted any more fans than we did. Do Palace honestly think they'd keep 12k core fans playing at an Athletics track charging the same as lower end Premier League games for league one football?

As you say, we are ahead thanks to Tony Bloom on the physical side of things, but it will take a few years for the new Academy to be built, and come into fruition like yours is doing. You have players we would like in our team, but thats the case for all championship clubs, I doubt you'd say no to Buckley, Vicente, and CMS for example.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
but it will take a few years for the new Academy to be built, and come into fruition like yours is doing. You have players we would like in our team, but thats the case for all championship clubs, I doubt you'd say no to Buckley, Vicente, and CMS for example.

Palace will always have an advantage over Brighton on the Academy side of things. Palace have a huge catchment area, Brighton don't. I honestly don't think Brighton will be able to match our "production" of players any time soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So the ground was paid for in cash by TB and is an asset for BHA going forward? Not fishing, just asking.
In cash, yes. Interest free, yes. Exactly how it's written up, I don't know. He talked in the passed about how he wanted it to be there for his family to watch football after we've all passed on.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

P.s happy birthday

I appreciate the sentiments of your post, you deserved to win at the Amex on the night without a doubt :)

For too many years palace have had the upper hand over us in every aspect, but now the only thing you have over us is your academy IMHO, so please try to excuse my beer fuelled lairyness for the aggressive undertone of my previous posts, been a while since we've had ANYTHING over you :)

For the first time since I was 9 it feels like our future is massively positive :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Palace will always have an advantage over Brighton on the Academy side of things.
That's nonsense. We didn't have our own ground, let alone our own academy, but that's changing.
Palace have a huge catchment area, Brighton don't.
Yes you have a bigger catchment area, and you should have been a bigger club than you are. It seems that people don't want to support Palace, although I don't know why.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Palace will always have an advantage over Brighton on the Academy side of things. Palace have a huge catchment area, Brighton don't. I honestly don't think Brighton will be able to match our "production" of players any time soon.

Have a look at a map mate, where are our nearest clubs in competition?....

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

You have Croydon. We have an entire county.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm not sure you guys are right. There must be a lot of people near Palace, it's pretty built up around south London.

If my built up you mean there's a surplus of firewood, yeah, you're right. They have a lot of competitors in London, we don't have a great deal around us with the exception of Crawley.

I'm not sure you guys are right. There must be a lot of people near Palace, it's pretty built up around south London.

Then why don't they get bigger crowds. The reality in London is that the big clubs take a massive proportion of the football interested population and the rest, including Palace, live off the scraps. On your logic someone like Brentford have a potential catchment of 500,000.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
The way I see it, history is all well and good but it's what's happening now and next that really matters.
Up The Albion!

Let's batter Palarse at least twice this season :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then why don't they get bigger crowds.
Because they're Plastic Palace. Seriously, who wants to support a club called the Eagles? I'll tell you who, American ice-hockey fans.
The reality in London is that the big clubs take a massive proportion of the football interested population and the rest, including Palace, live off the scraps. On your logic someone like Brentford have a potential catchment of 500,000.
I totally accept that the big clubs take larger proportion, and clubs like Brentford get a much smaller proportion, but middle clubs like Palace should have a large potential support. It's their own fault they don't use it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports