Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winifred Zahaha £4M?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What an absolute load of bollox. If everything went according to that theory then you would never of seen teams like Watford, Blackpool, Burnley, Wigan, Pompey, Qpr, teams that have either shit grounds or fairly low fan bases, getting to the Prem in the last decade.

fair enough it's not impossible for a small club to get up there, but your business model is built on getting rid of your talent just to stay in business, not to move forward. In all seriousness looking from the outside Palace's future, for the time being, seems extremely limited. For once you have some owners who (creditably) seem vaguely serious about living within your means and you can do that by selling off the likes of Zaha, Clyne etc etc. Whilst this maybe sufficient to keep things ticking over it is hardly a recipe for success is it?

There is nothing about CPFC that seems to have any dynamism about it at the moment, the massaging of attendances, the inability to get the new ground project off the ground, the potential sale of the best players all seem to give a negative vibe. For the first time in a LONG LONG TIME all of our equivalent signifiers point in an upward direction. We've had to endure the taunts for the last few years but now the boot is well and truly on the other foot, regardless of the results in our two forthcoming fixtures, you will have to get used to it.

Nothing is guaranteed in life, and I would not discount our ability to screw things up, but I have to say we have every reason to feel optimistic about the FUTURE whereas i feel you may be in for a slightly tougher time.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Riiiight....so the arguments changing again now is it? Previously it's that we're clearly not attractive to players, but....money is attractive to players no? I don't even buy that we simply throw money at players - every noise from Bloom and Poyet suggests quite the opposite, that we miss out on targets fairly often because we're not willing to break a tight wage structure - so even with your flawed point you still have managed to disagree with yourself about us being an attractive club to play for!

Whooooosssshhhh

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Considering their comments some of them must be willing to put their houses on it?
I'm not joking. I asked the same question this time last year, but no one had anything. It's a fun bet, I'm sure loads of us would like to place a ten or twenty pound bet (and some would want more) with our annoying Palace guests.

Surely there must be a way?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not joking. I asked the same question this time last year, but no one had anything. It's a fun bet, I'm sure loads of us would like to place a ten or twenty pound bet (and some would want more) with our annoying Palace guests.

Surely there must be a way?

After a LOT of banter back and forth on the BBS, I suggested a bet. They all shut up VERY quickly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After a LOT of banter back and forth on the BBS, I suggested a bet. They all shut up VERY quickly.
Some of them would definitely be up for a small bet. Imagine the satisfaction of taking £10 of a Palace supporting stranger.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
29 years is a looooong time. I'm not convinced that anywhere near 50% of the fans at the Amex have seen you play in the Premiership before.

Not that it matters.

You will have to get use to a long time without top flight football because the tables are truely turning and it is you twisted fire starters that will be watching your rivals above you.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
fair enough it's not impossible for a small club to get up there, but your business model is built on getting rid of your talent just to stay in business, not to move forward. In all seriousness looking from the outside Palace's future, for the time being, seems extremely limited. For once you have some owners who (creditably) seem vaguely serious about living within your means and you can do that by selling off the likes of Zaha, Clyne etc etc. Whilst this maybe sufficient to keep things ticking over it is hardly a recipe for success is it?

There is nothing about CPFC that seems to have any dynamism about it at the moment, the massaging of attendances, the inability to get the new ground project off the ground, the potential sale of the best players all seem to give a negative vibe. For the first time in a LONG LONG TIME all of our equivalent signifiers point in an upward direction. We've had to endure the taunts for the last few years but now the boot is well and truly on the other foot, regardless of the results in our two forthcoming fixtures, you will have to get used to it.

Nothing is guaranteed in life, and I would not discount our ability to screw things up, but I have to say we have every reason to feel optimistic about the FUTURE whereas i feel you may be in for a slightly tougher time.

Very lucid and accurate summary. But let's not forget the only difference between us is that we've now got owners that will live within our means - finally and after the previous ridiculous regimes - whereas you've an owner that is fully committed to pushing Albion forward and footing the bill. He could overstretch himself much as Jordan did. Probably unlikely as Bloom seems to have more business acumen.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
But if we was to get a brand new stadium playing in a tier higher I could guarantee 30,000 a week would come out the woordwork as it did when we got promoted a few years back and with the cup runs in recent years.
:wozza:

Just got round to reading this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
you've an owner that is fully committed to pushing Albion forward and footing the bill.

No he ISN'T. Where are Palace getting this from? An article came out just the other day titled "Bloom: Albion will never overspend during my time as chairman" and he has REPEATEDLY said the club will be self-sufficient.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
In a weeks time, Clyne and Moses will both be playing for Premier League clubs who finished in the top 5 positions.

I feel that this is evidence that our academy is something special. I trust you will agree.

I do agree, however as it was funded with money that you didn't have (twice), you'll understand why I'm some what underwhelmed. However, I'm sure that those still owed money by palace are taking great comfort in the success of the academy.
Do you not have any self respect?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I love that you hold this up as evidence of Bridcutt's worth.

This particular fact, owes nothing to Bridcutt's ability, and everything to do with George Burley's choice of breakfast tipple, on the day of Bridcutt's trial match.

Exactly, just like that Ian Wright, we turned him down.

He was just a shit Brighton reject.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011

I think you underestimate us. The owners are still backing us, we have spent money on Joel Ward already this summer, another highly rated youngster and we have him on a 4 deal. We may have to sell Zaha in a year or 2 but we can expect big money for him, the same with Williams. The academy also gives us a huge chance to push on. There is no negative feelings at the club at all, the complete opposite in fact. A new or improved stadium is not far off and once that's in place I think we will go above you again. Also, plenty of bigger clubs than you have failed in this league and it will happen time and again. Money doesn't guarantee success, if it did then Leicester would have walked the league last year and look what happened.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
No he ISN'T. Where are Palace getting this from? An article came out just the other day titled "Bloom: Albion will never overspend during my time as chairman" and he has REPEATEDLY said the club will be self-sufficient.

OK - I meant more supplying the initial outlay, I'm sure the intention is to break even going forward.

I assume all the loans for the ground etc are ring fenced should he go bust?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. A new or improved stadium is not far off and once that's in place I think we will go above you again. .

Really? Have any ACTUAL plans been lodged for approval? Have budgets to pay for it been realised? Have the tenders for the work gone out to tender?

Define 'not far off'.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Glenn Murray.

Hows that going by the way?

We did not play to his strengths last season. From what I have seen of him though, if we do play a system that suits him we have a VERY good player on our hands. Confident that will be the case as Dougie has stated that this season we will be playing a more attacking game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here