Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winifred Zahaha £4M?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Chairman- give me ours anyday. At least we finally know our club is being run sensibly. Not sure you can say the same about Bloom however good his intentions are.

Fanbase- give me 14,000 real Palace fans over 15,000 plastics any day (not including the 6000 real, hardcore BHA dans in that, fair play to them) And once our stadium improves you will see the bridge closed anyway. You also have the novelty of playing in a new division whereas we have been in the same league for 7 years.

Squad- let's be honest, you don't hear in the press about teams coming in for Brighton players yet players such as Speroni, Clyne, Zaha, Ambrose and Williams are often linked with Premiership clubs. Funny how you fail to mention that said squad took 4 points off you last year including giving an absolute lesson at the AMEX. Funny how you forget to mention the injuries that we suffered to 3 key players that struck in the same week and pretty much made us plummet down the table into a disappointing 17th finish. You try taking Greer, Bridcutt and Buckley out of your side all at the same time and see if it doesn't affect results. I assure you 17th was not a fair reflection in where we finished, that is not sour grapes it's fact. Until the injuries we had the 2nd best defence in the division and were still in with a shout at the play offs. You did very well to come 10th but everyone knows that the 2nd season is much harder...

On the chairmen front - I literally have no idea where you can get ANY doubt from regarding Bloom. A true fan, paying for a stadium with interest an interest free loan. Overseeing a huge turnover and building for the future. Pretty much perfect for me.

The fanbase issue is LAUGHABLE. The 6000 figure for 'loyal' fans is so lazy. We had a SMALLER STADIUM so of course there is less fans! You can't possibly CRITICISE a club for getting in more fans when there is more space for them? If we didnt fill it you would be equally as mocking. It's a POOR argument. Also look at the difference between your championship attendances and your prem attendances. A HUGE jump. Where did they all come from/go as soon as you were relegated?

Finally your issue on squad - A league is the ONLY way to prove who is the best squad. The very idea of a squad is to cover for injuries to your first 11. Claiming you had a better squad but for the injuries is a contradiction in itself.

"we would have finished higher without the injuries". Every team can say that. If Vicente (thats spanish international superstar Vicente) was fit all season we may have spanked you even more. See, we can also play imaginary league table.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Also we beat a Newcastle team who beat the Man utd first team. By default that means we are better than the man utd first team.

You only beat the man utd reserve team.

Therefore, seeing as Palace feel one-off games prove more than a season, we are also better than Palace in that criteria.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good grief. Its hard to know where to start.

Stadium- no doubt you win that for now, we are at our lowest ebb on regards to stadium quality and you are at your highest. .

First - we are NOT at our 'highest'. The season ahead sees 6500 MORE seats than last year, and then another 3,000 after that.

Our stadium is poor and I'm sure it puts a lot of fans off, it's a sad fact but it's true. But once rectified I am certain that the attendences will rise. Difference with our clubs is that at your lowest ebb you got 6000, were as we get 14,000. JAT

There is simply no comparison though. Selhurst, even in its current state, is a PALACE compared to Withdean. It has ROOFS for a start. And you are a division higher, thanks to paying no bills. Higher league = bigger crowds.

Managers- loved how you missed off the fact that Dougie took us to within penalty kicks of a major cup final, including a win at Old Trafford vs 9 internationals. Funny how you forget to mention that Gus was given 4-5 million last year by Bloom while Dougie had to work with mostly free's and loans.

£5m? Does the money we brought IN by selling our best player to Norwich not count then? the level of spending is also based on trying to bring a league One squad up to a level to be competitive in the Championship. Clubs already established at that level, can tread water, if the funds are not there.

Chairman- give me ours anyday. At least we finally know our club is being run sensibly. Not sure you can say the same about Bloom however good his intentions are.

Pretty much ALL of Bloom's investment has been on capital projects - the stadium and training ground. Beyond that the club has to be self-sufficient. The playing budget is funded by 23000 season tickets, and a massively above average match-day spend.

Fanbase- give me 14,000 real Palace fans over 15,000 plastics any day (not including the 6000 real, hardcore BHA dans in that, fair play to them) And once our stadium improves you will see the bridge closed anyway. You also have the novelty of playing in a new division whereas we have been in the same league for 7 years.

Please read what you've just written there. Our 23000 (That's TWENTY THREE THOUSAND) season ticket holders are mostly 'plastics'. There are 15,000 people in these troubled financial times, who are not actually Brighton fans at all, but decided to shell out £500 on a ticket to go and watch them JUST because there is a new ground? Yep. I can see that.

Squad- let's be honest, you don't hear in the press about teams coming in for Brighton players yet players such as Speroni, Clyne, Zaha, Ambrose and Williams are often linked with Premiership clubs.

Apart from Dunk (Everton, Newcastle, Arsenal), Bridcutt (Reading, Aston Villa), CMS (Reading), Forster Caskey (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa) and Hall (Spurs) you mean?

Funny how you fail to mention that said squad took 4 points off you last year including giving an absolute lesson at the AMEX. .

Firstly - its ONE game - are you suggesting that Brighton are better than Sunderland, Newcastle and Southampton because we beat them last year? Thought not.

Secondly - an absolute lesson? Utter nonsense I'm afraid. Palace were shit for an hour, and were lucky the game wasn't over in 20 minutes. You deserved the win in the end, because our lot shamefully capitulated at the end, but lesson? Dream on.

. Funny how you forget to mention the injuries that we suffered to 3 key players that struck in the same week and pretty much made us plummet down the table into a disappointing 17th finish. You try taking Greer, Bridcutt and Buckley out of your side all at the same time and see if it doesn't affect results. .

zzzz. Injuries. It happens.

Vicente was injured for half the season.
Elphick (player of the year the eason before last) was out the WHOLE season.
Dicker broke his leg and missed half the season
El Abd missed the first few months after f***ing up his leg.

Every club has injuries to deal with.

I assure you 17th was not a fair reflection in where we finished, that is not sour grapes it's fact. .

I assure you that 17th is a reflection of how many POINTS you earned. In it actually irrefutably FACT. Sorry.

Academy- so clearly ours, as you fairly mentioned. Looks like it's only going to get better as well as we should be given either Catergory 1 or 2 in the next few weeks. And in case your wondering, there's about 3 or 4 more players about to break through this season including the England Under 19 captain Ryan Innis and attacking midfielder Reise Allasanni, who is seen as the mist exciting prospect we've ever had. The futures bright regardless of how you try and portray us.

Your academy has done very well, and produced some good players. None yet have been quite as good as you all like to pretend (thus they all go to Wigan rather than Barcelona) but its a good production line of mid table Championship talent, to be fair.

Enjoy the few years left that you'll have that over us.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
On the chairmen front - I literally have no idea where you can get ANY doubt from regarding Bloom. A true fan, paying for a stadium with interest an interest free loan. Overseeing a huge turnover and building for the future. Pretty much perfect for me.

The fanbase issue is LAUGHABLE. The 6000 figure for 'loyal' fans is so lazy. We had a SMALLER STADIUM so of course there is less fans! You can't possibly CRITICISE a club for getting in more fans when there is more space for them? If we didnt fill it you would be equally as mocking. It's a POOR argument. Also look at the difference between your championship attendances and your prem attendances. A HUGE jump. Where did they all come from/go as soon as you were relegated?

Finally your issue on squad - A league is the ONLY way to prove who is the best squad. The very idea of a squad is to cover for injuries to your first 11. Claiming you had a better squad but for the injuries is a contradiction in itself.

"we would have finished higher without the injuries". Every team can say that. If Vicente (thats spanish international superstar Vicente) was fit all season we may have spanked you even more. See, we can also play imaginary league table.

I actually agree with you.

The reason your attendances are so much higher than usual is because you're playing at your peak at the moment. The Championship is sort of an uncharted territory for you, and fans are coming to see it and your new stadium. We too have 10,000 extra fans when we're in the Premiership, but only 15,000 fans are with us when we're in a trough - i.e. the Championship.

I don't think we had a great squad last season. We had a fantastic first XI. A really, really good first XI. If League tables were based around your starting line up, we'd have finished in the top 6. Unfortunately they aren't, and poor squad depth meant that we couldn't cope with the injuries we suffered.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011

But you often didn't sell out the Withdean??

My point about the squad stands. It lacks quantity and in several positions (upfront mainly) lacks quality. But I'm sure with some decent additions this summer that can be solved and we can move up the table and have a chance at challenging for the play offs.

Your point about Vincente isn't the same though? Of course every team has injuries but my point was we lost 3 key players all at the same time.

Last edited:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Your academy has done very well, and produced some good players. None yet have been quite as good as you all like to pretend (thus they all go to Wigan rather than Barcelona) but its a good production line of mid table Championship talent, to be fair.

Enjoy the few years left that you'll have that over us.

I highlighted this bit of lunacy.

Our academy produces players FAR better than mid-table in the Championship, and these players are still 5 or 6 years away from their peak. Nathaniel Clyne is currently deciding whether to sign for Man United or Newcastle. Wilf has attracted bids from Bolton, Liverpool, Newcastle, West Ham etc. Clearly they are both of good Premiership standard, and they will only improve greatly as they approach their peak. Both Clyne and Zaha will very possibly be regular England internationals, both from our academy. Williams is the same, except he's a year or two younger. It looks like Reise Allasanni and Kyle De Silva will be following in their footsteps.

Say what you want about stadium, fanbase, manager etc. you can't compete with our academy. Very, very few clubs can.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Also we beat a Newcastle team who beat the Man utd first team. By default that means we are better than the man utd first team.

You only beat the man utd reserve team.

Therefore, seeing as Palace feel one-off games prove more than a season, we are also better than Palace in that criteria.

We beat you 3-1 so no, that logic would still make us better!

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
My point about the squad stands. It lacks quanity and in several positions (upfront mainly) lacks quality. But I'm sure with some decent additions this summer that can be solved and we can move up the table and have a chance at challenging for the play offs.

Yup. That's where we are at the moment. We need a new striker, who will probably cost somewhere in the million pound range (CPFC2010 have said this is the plan), we need a new CB and a new winger. We've got a significant amount of money to make sure this happens, and I'm sure it will.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

The reason your attendances are so much higher than usual is because you're playing at your peak at the moment. The Championship is sort of an uncharted territory for you, and fans are coming to see it and your new stadium. We too have 10,000 extra fans when we're in the Premiership, but only 15,000 fans are with us when we're in a trough - i.e. the Championship.

I don't think we had a great squad last season. We had a fantastic first XI. A really, really good first XI. If League tables were based around your starting line up, we'd have finished in the top 6. Unfortunately they aren't, and poor squad depth meant that we couldn't cope with the injuries we suffered.

Loved reading the quotes of Anthony Gardner who couldnt get out quickly enough....... I think you can see in his words the reason he and others like Zaha will leave. Your a club full of water treaders, devoid of ambition and going backwards.

Anthony Gardner - "Gardner said: "This is a great move for me. I am really impressed with the ambition of the manager and the chairman and as everyone knows, Sheffield Wednesday has a huge fan base. [implying Dougie has no ambition and Palace have no fanbase]

"The club has the ambition and the drive to succeed and that is what has attracted me to Hillsborough. [Palace don't]

"I have played a lot of my career in the Premiership and that is where I want to return to. I have no intention of coming to a club that is just out to consolidate in the Championship, I want to succeed and that is why I have come to Sheffield Wednesday." [no chance of prem with palace and sick of playing for no hopers at the arse end of championship]

cpfc-charlie

Jun 20, 2012
Good grief. Its hard to know where to start.

Apart from Dunk (Everton, Newcastle, Arsenal), Bridcutt (Reading, Aston Villa), CMS (Reading), Forster Caskey (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa) and Hall (Spurs) you mean?

What that donkey at the back who is premier league class yet scored the best own goal ever and conceded six goals. I would bet you anything he won't ever end up at Arsenal. CMS at Reading is never going to happen be serious. Bridcutt isn't nothing special either, a palace reject who got his arsehole torn by jon williams

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Our academy produces players FAR better than mid-table in the Championship, and these players are still 5 or 6 years away from their peak. Nathaniel Clyne is currently deciding whether to sign for Man United or Newcastle. Wilf has attracted bids from Bolton, Liverpool, Newcastle, West Ham etc. Clearly they are both of good Premiership standard, and they will only improve greatly as they approach their peak. Both Clyne and Zaha will very possibly be regular England internationals, both from our academy. Williams is the same, except he's a year or two younger. It looks like Reise Allasanni and Kyle De Silva will be following in their footsteps.

Say what you want about stadium, fanbase, manager etc. you can't compete with our academy. Very, very few clubs can.

Name a SINGLE ONE of your youth products who have signed for a Top Prem club. ONE. I'm only asking for ONE, should be incredibly easy.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The reason your attendances are so much higher than usual is because you're playing at your peak at the moment.

You just can't resist, can you? :lolol: You only HOPE this is our peak.

If League tables were based around your starting line up, we'd have finished in the top 6

While you obviously have some decent players, I think you're in danger of overinflating their worth a tad. Speroni: Ok, I'll concede he's a good keeper, but I also think he peaked a couple of seasons ago, and he wasn't nearly as consistent last time out. Clyne: not seen much of him but given the (genuine, as opposed to imagined) interest in him from higher level clubs, he appears to be something special so fair enough. Zaha has potential but is nowhere near the finished product. Would still be picked up by most Championship clubs given half the chance though. Ambrose is like Speroni, peaked a couple of seasons ago, though again, he wouldn't be turned down by many clubs, I'll give you that. Your centre halves are absolute carthorses. Paddy McCarthy? Do me a favour.

Nobody outside Palace knows anything about Parr or Jedinak, so we're going only by your subjective judgement on their abilities, and the rest are all journeymen. There are a few decent individuals in there, but as a squad, it lacks strength in depth, and if you think that little lot makes a top six side, then Christ knows what went wrong last season.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Loved reading the quotes of Anthony Gardner who couldnt get out quickly enough....... I think you can see in his words the reason he and others like Zaha will leave. Your a club full of water treaders, devoid of ambition and going backwards.

Anthony Gardner - "Gardner said: "This is a great move for me. I am really impressed with the ambition of the manager and the chairman and as everyone knows, Sheffield Wednesday has a huge fan base. [implying Dougie has no ambition and Palace have no fanbase]

"The club has the ambition and the drive to succeed and that is what has attracted me to Hillsborough. [Palace don't]

"I have played a lot of my career in the Premiership and that is where I want to return to. I have no intention of coming to a club that is just out to consolidate in the Championship, I want to succeed and that is why I have come to Sheffield Wednesday." [no chance of prem with palace and sick of playing for no hopers at the arse end of championship]

If you're taking the words of a new signing trying to appeal to his new set of fans as some sort of real indicator, you're very short on ideas and material. Poor show.

Still no indication of Zaha leaving though. Have you heard something we haven't? You were getting so excited over him leaving for West Ham, and then it emerged that it was complete bollocks. As for no ambition... I'm surprised we've managed to sign Joel Ward. He clearly didn't mind our lack of ambition when picking us over all the other clubs in for him.

In fact, there's no indication of ANY first team player leaving. Funny that.

cpfc-charlie

Jun 20, 2012

nothing to do with the extra money he'll be earning. He done the same thing last summer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You all make out that its akin to La Masia. Its really not. Who have you actually PRODUCED of real note? In comparison to say Bale, Walcott and Oxlaid Chamberlain at Southampton?

Moses is a reasonable Prem level player, but was already known to be one of the best kids in the country, when Colin Pates at Whitgift handed him to you on a plate.

You all bang on about Zaha, but he hadn't even heard of Crystal Palace until he was 15.

Clyne is a good player though, and Williams has great potential.

The others you mention are kids. They might become great, but remember that the last one you talk of the the same terms was Bostock, currently playing where?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here