Winifred Zahaha £4M?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Turning down £7million will be the biggest mistake your board ever make. f***ing clowns :shootself

I really, really doubt it. He's an absolutely incredible player. We'll be receiving bids of a LOT higher than that in the next year. The best player we've had at Palace since Andy "2nd top goal scorer in the Premiership" Johnson, and he will probably be better than AJ ever was.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
What on earth makes you think we're bringing in worse players? We've got a £5m transfer budget before any profit from player sales.

To be fair most clubs that sell their best players bring in worse players (in the hope that they will develop and become as good).
For example if Clyne is rated at a few million and wanted by man utd you will have to bring in a worse player - If there is another player around as good or better he will also be wanted by a prem club and Palace would not be able to compete.
It's the same for all clubs though. When we sold Bennett to Norwich for £1.5 million we signed Buckley for £1m to replace him. He is not as good (yet) but obviously the hope is he will develop and become as good if not better.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I really, really doubt it. He's an absolutely incredible player. We'll be receiving bids of a LOT higher than that in the next year. The best player we've had at Palace since Andy "2nd top goal scorer in the Premiership" Johnson, and he will probably be better than AJ ever was.

When Palace are in the bottom 3 next January and heading for League 1 he will be sold for less than that. He will WANT to leave, Sunderland or Wigan will snap him up for £5mill tops

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
To be fair most clubs that sell their best players bring in worse players (in the hope that they will develop and become as good).
For example if Clyne is rated at a few million and wanted by man utd you will have to bring in a worse player - If there is another player around as good or better he will also be wanted by a prem club and Palace would not be able to compete.
It's the same for all clubs though. When we sold Bennett to Norwich for £1.5 million we signed Buckley for £1m to replace him. He is not as good (yet) but obviously the hope is he will develop and become as good if not better.

Obviously the direct replacement for Clyne won't be as good. Ward is supposedly a top player, but won't be quite in the same class as Nathaniel.

However, the money the made on Clyne will be spent on another player who will improve the squad, say Sam Baldock from West Ham who we've been apparently looking at. I'd suggest that Baldock + Ward as a swap for an out of contract Clyne is good business for the club, and will improve the team as a whole.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
When Palace are in the bottom 3 next January and heading for League 1 he will be sold for less than that. He will WANT to leave, Sunderland or Wigan will snap him up for £5mill tops

I spotted the problem with your post very early on. It's easy to make your point when it is based on a ridiculous assumption :)

It's like me telling you that Gus, Bridcutt and Buckley will leave and join Ipswich when you're bottom of the league in January. It's just not very likely.

Also, even if we did sell him for a stupidly low fee of £5m... isn't that far more than you've ever sold a player for?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
For the seventy-fourth time... We've already rejected £7m for Zaha. Why would we accept less than half of that?

BBC Sport - Wilfried Zaha: Bolton offer £7m for Crystal Palace winger

Also you don't understand FPP. It has not been fully implemented yet and it works differently in the FL than it does in the Premiership. We have two years of investment left before it is being heavily restricted. Even when it is, we will still take more money than half of the clubs in this league.

Bolton's bid of £7M would have been in staged payments instead of cash up front , £3M is a decent wedge for a Premier League club to bid and take a chance on him or even an initial sideways move to West Ham before stepping up to the big league. So next season you'll have to sell Speroni and Williams to achieve the other £5M. Two thirds of clubs in the Championship will be taking more money than Palace unless they can get to 10k season ticket holders.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I spotted the problem with your post very early on. It's easy to make your point when it is based on a ridiculous assumption :)

It's like me telling you that Gus, Bridcutt and Buckley will leave and join Ipswich when you're bottom of the league in January. It's just not very likely.

Also, even if we did sell him for a stupidly low fee of £5m... isn't that far more than you've ever sold a player for?

Ok so where do you GENUINELY believe Palace are going to finish next year (assuming Zaha hasn't left for AC Milan by then)? Honest answer?

BTW I never said that we'd sold a player for anywhere NEAR £5million, did I??

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Obviously the direct replacement for Clyne won't be as good. Ward is supposedly a top player, but won't be quite in the same class as Nathaniel.

However, the money the made on Clyne will be spent on another player who will improve the squad, say Sam Baldock from West Ham who we've been apparently looking at. I'd suggest that Baldock + Ward as a swap for an out of contract Clyne is good business for the club, and will improve the team as a whole.

Fair enough! As much as I hate agreeing with a Palace fan I agree with you. Baldock would be a good signing.
Reckon you will finish 10th-14th this season (with Brighton again above you ;))

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Ok so where do you GENUINELY believe Palace are going to finish next year (assuming Zaha hasn't left for AC Milan by then)? Honest answer?

Also I/WE have NEVER claimed Buckley or Bridcutt to be worth £20million so not sure what you are getting at?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Bolton's bid of £7M would have been in staged payments instead of cash up front , £3M is a decent wedge for a Premier League club to bid and take a chance on him or even an initial sideways move to West Ham before stepping up to the big league. So next season you'll have to sell Speroni and Williams to achieve the other £5M. Two thirds of clubs in the Championship will be taking more money than Palace unless they can get to 10k season ticket holders.

I'm sure it would've been in staged payments. A £7m cash bid would've been far more tempting.

The £5m was WITHOUT any player sales. Suggesting that Speroni and Williams combined would equal £2m is equally silly. Williams may well be a better player than Zaha and we really couldn't put a value on him at the moment. We would definitely turn down almost any bid for him, he has the potential to be incredible. He was injured for a lot of last season but even at 17 he absolutely ran the show many times (including at the Amex)

For Speroni we would probably accept £2m but it's very unlikely he'd want to leave. He has been at the club for over a decade and is a club legend with a very settled family. He will be at Palace until he retires.

According to Steve Parish we are 12th in terms of income in the Championship. We might get to 10,000 ST holders, as we have sold 2000 more ST's than last year (about 1500 of these are full price), and a good signing or two might convince some more fans to make the pledge. CPFC2010 are very happy with sales as they are over 1000 ST's above their target for this stage in the season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

It isn't really ridiculous considering you finished 17th last season and are definitely losing Clyne, is it?
Stupidly low fee of £5 million.. you should be an estate agent or something.
I'm pretty sure we wouldn't take pride in being a selling club even if we'd sold players for tens of millions- which we haven't because we don't have the youth infrastructure that Palace do- you don't hear Southampton fans bragging all the time because they've sold players for a bit of dollar- in fact it's pretty much the only thing they don't brag about.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It's not inside information when your chairmen tell thousands of people on a public website. JAT.

....much appreciated by agents everywhere I'm sure ............................................. now be a good lad and take the hint :rolleyes:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

Depends on how lucky we get with injuries, and how wisely Dougie spends his cash. If we were able to play our full first team every week we'd be in the top 6, but obviously we won't be. If Zaha got his leg snapped in the first game we'd be re-evaluating our options pretty seriously. He's a massively important player for us, as is someone like Williams or Jedinak. Dougie has said we're looking to move Wilf up front next season as he could be our 20 goal-a-season striker. He played up top in our last two games last season and scored in both.

I'd be disappointed if we finished lower than 10th, but we're not ready to go up yet, we've got another year of building ahead of us.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Depends on how lucky we get with injuries, and how wisely Dougie spends his cash. If we were able to play our full first team every week we'd be in the top 6, but obviously we won't be. If Zaha got his leg snapped in the first game we'd be re-evaluating our options pretty seriously. He's a massively important player for us, as is someone like Williams or Jedinak. Dougie has said we're looking to move Wilf up front next season as he could be our 20 goal-a-season striker. He played up top in our last two games last season and scored in both.

I'd be disappointed if we finished lower than 10th, but we're not ready to go up yet, we've got another year of building ahead of us.

Lol well get ready for disappointment my friend. f*** me....

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Also I/WE have NEVER claimed Buckley or Bridcutt to be worth £20million so not sure what you are getting at?

I don't think Wilf is worth £20m (he might be in 5 years!) but it is annoying when you Weeds keep suggesting he's only worth 3 or 4 million. It's understandable that you're jealous of our academy, in the same way that we're jealous of your new stadium.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Lol well get ready for disappointment my friend. f*** me....

We finished 17th this season which was pretty much the lowest point we reached all year. We spent the vast majority of our time in the 6th-12th spots. We only slowed down at the end of the season due to injuries/exhaustion/playing the youth team.

Why is it so unrealistic to assume that, with a decent investment and another year of development for our young stars, we could finish in the same spot that we spent most of the season in?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't think Wilf is worth £20m (he might be in 5 years!) but it is annoying when you Weeds keep suggesting he's only worth 3 or 4 million. It's understandable that you're jealous of our academy, in the same way that we're jealous of your new stadium.
So let us in on all of the offers over 2 million for starters.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
We finished 17th this season which was pretty much the lowest point we reached all year. We spent the vast majority of our time in the 6th-12th spots. We only slowed down at the end of the season due to injuries/exhaustion/playing the youth team.

Why is it so unrealistic to assume that, with a decent investment and another year of development for our young stars, we could finish in the same spot that we spent most of the season in?

You played one more game than us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports