Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winifred Zahaha £4M?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
2 players away from the playoffs do you believe that yourselves? The season ended a while ago now so you probably forgot your league position and the poor football you were playing so that can be forgiven.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
You haven't sold a player for anywhere near the amount we rejected for Zaha, nor even the amount suggested in the pisstake of an article in the OP. It gets a lot easier to settle debt when your best player is selling for £10m, rather than £1m at most.

Had we not sold Moses during administration, we would've got a lot more. Even so, we got £3m and a large sell-on fee. We could've easily got double that if we were financially healthy like we are now, £3m was a pisstake. Zaha looks to be selling (when he eventually goes) for a lot more than Victor. Williams is coming through now, and looks a more rounded player even than Wilf, and could go for a massive fee too.

We've got Reise Allisani (sp) who is the highest paid youth player in the country because he is so good we had to match what Man City were offering him. Gus Sow is coming through and is almost as highly rated, as is Kyle De Silva.

I don't think we have to worry about our academy struggling to produce top quality players, especially once we get the Category 1 status under EPP (still an unfair system even though we will benefit from it). Evidently, Steve Parish has similar thoughts.

So in short you are losing 2-3 million a year and by your own admission the club are going to give dougie an increased promotion budget this year. This coupled with what looks like no increase in season ticket revenue is likely to mean those figures will only increase. But this is not a problem because IF you sell Zaha for £10 million (which is a figure you have come to by taking the £7million offer from an unquoted BBC article and added your own £3million to) then that will wipe out your losses

Good luck with that particularly with financial fair play on the horizon!!

Suppose it's now watch this space

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Good thread this one bit of a my dogs quicker than yours ,think smith and Murray could have been a good combination as the both seen to miss a sortable partner

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've seen enough of CMS to form an opinion thanks very much.
That opinion is he'll run all day long, hustle and bustle defenders, but will need lots of chances to score.Head to head,Murray is a superior player,more intelligent, brings others into play, is a better header of the ball, and given the service, which was sadly lacking last season, would outscore CMS all day long.

LMFAO - utter rubbish. they're both good players but not comparable. Give me CMS any day on a choice of the two. Was outstanding for Posh last yr too - bit like Murray was for us, and he's been by all accounts a load of sulky oddball shit at Palace - oh as we told you he would be...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was talking about how much they paid for him you prat :)

But you were talking about buying players in their prime. A Championship player good enough to help a team out of this Division in his prime will go for more than 1m, unfortunately for both of us.

In reality we all know it's freebies and sub 500k signings and more dire tactics for you, poor Palace :D

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good thread this one bit of a my dogs quicker than yours ,think smith and Murray could have been a good combination as the both seen to miss a sortable partner

Without doubt - that was actually my slightly realistic 'dream partnership' at the start of the season. But our system only allows for one striker really. Murray only puts a gd season in when he has to. He was still a good player with us before but sulky and inconsistant... like he seems to be with you

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If you take the number of seasons you have spent in the Premiership and add two, you'll get the right answer :)

It's called paying your bills and now doing small businesses out of cash because you spent in trying to seek an elevated league position you can't reasonably achieve with your attendances.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Maybe their owners will do the honourable thing and pay back those debts once they get that £50 million from the Zaha sale.

They are billionaires so you thought they might have paid back the essential services at least, the met police and ambulance service for starters.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
You're right, it won't. Which is why we'll only do it if we don't get promotion in the next couple of years, according to Steve Parish. If we sold Zaha, even for £7m, we could replace him with 2 or 3 players in their prime (so that the value is based on ability alone, not ability and potential like Wilf's). Scott Sinclair for 600k, Ricky Lambert for £1m etc. spring to mind.

Freedman thinks we're 2 players away from the playoffs, and I agree with him. We were in the top 6 for 2/3 of the season until all of our injuries and the cup run reaching its climax. A few quality additions could well see us promoted.

In terms of fees, there are bargains around, but the two you have cited are exceptional. The law averages means if you spend £600k on a player, he will be far less able than a £7m player.

Lambert & Sinclair also signed for clubs who were actively pushing for promotion and had budgets to match. No way could you have afforded their wages even if you could pay the fees.

Jan 12, 2012
LMFAO - utter rubbish. they're both good players but not comparable. Give me CMS any day on a choice of the two. Was outstanding for Posh last yr too - bit like Murray was for us, and he's been by all accounts a load of sulky oddball shit at Palace - oh as we told you he would be...

Given the price tag for CMS, dont you wish you gave Murray a bit more money, and saved the money for,a decent keeper ?
Agreed,they are totally different players,but Murray is a better all round player,whereas CMS is one dimensional.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Maybe their owners will do the honourable thing and pay back those debts once they get that £50 million from the Zaha sale.

Our owners have NOTHING to do with any former debts, as you know. It isn't their job to pay back anything that was messed up by Simon Jordan (the man the vast majority of the debt was owed do).

As for Murray being sulky, I've seen nothing of the sort at any game this season. He didn't play much during the middle of the season, but was great at the start and towards the end too. He was growing in confidence every week in the last month or two of the season, and the fans were very impressed. I know you'd like to believe he is, but there has been no indication whatsoever that he is unhappy or sulky. Maybe it's because we haven't abused him or his girlfriend? Those goals at the Amex and Old Trafford probably helped though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Given the price tag for CMS, dont you wish you gave Murray a bit more money, and saved the money for,a decent keeper ?
Agreed,they are totally different players,but Murray is a better all round player,whereas CMS is one dimensional.

Murray is better at more things; CMS is the better player.

Funny old phrase that but i'm sure you get what I mean. No, I'm delighted we beat off W ham / Leicester etc to land CMS and feel he'll be even better this season. Playing as a lone striker is a very hard role for anyone and you won't get the same service as you would having a partner up there. Having a better keeper probably wouldn't have mad a huge ammount of difference and we can buy one this season. Many of your fans want Murray out? It only seems the fans of yours that sing Murray's praises do so when talking to Albion fans like you are now...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the moment, it's straight back into player sales. "We won't be taking funds from any player sales out of the club" was the official line a few weeks ago, and any money goes straight back into Dougie's budget.

To be honest, I suspect most people, even those with good sources, are way off with the finances within football, the wages paid, alleged offers made, fees agreed etc. especially from chairmen who like to spin things to make themselves less of the bad guy. If the sell someone they describe a sell on fee as 'huge'. They make a show of saying they won't sell for less than £Xm, then make sure the final fee is undisclosed so fans don't find out it was less than half that amount, so I generally think most people debating this are ill informed (both with the high numbers and the low ones).

But, the quoted passage raised a question with me: Why is "We won't be taking funds from any player sales out of the club" in quotes (suggesting a direct quote), yet "and any money goes straight back into Dougie's budget." is not (suggesting an interpretation)? Because you constantly say the money from sold players will go into the playing budget, and the quote you supply say it won't be taken out of the club, i.e. the transfer money could be spent in other areas of the club and not actually go back to player budgets. I just want to clarify that you're not extrapolating from a quote/highlighting the difference should the board be being careful with what they say.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
They are billionaires so you thought they might have paid back the essential services at least, the met police and ambulance service for starters.

They deal only in the Palace pound

twopence.jpg

That's probably also why they came up with that Zaha valuation.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Our owners have NOTHING to do with any former debts, as you know. It isn't their job to pay back anything that was messed up by Simon Jordan (the man the vast majority of the debt was owed do).

As for Murray being sulky, I've seen nothing of the sort at any game this season. He didn't play much during the middle of the season, but was great at the start and towards the end too. He was growing in confidence every week in the last month or two of the season, and the fans were very impressed. I know you'd like to believe he is, but there has been no indication whatsoever that he is unhappy or sulky. Maybe it's because we haven't abused him or his girlfriend? Those goals at the Amex and Old Trafford probably helped though.

Sure there was a thread full of quotes of a Palace forum mentioning how sulky he's been. You don't have to stick up for just cos he's a Palace player, that's just his personality by all accounts, an introvert guy. Don't really know what you're getting at with the whole abusing his girlfriend thing. He handed in a transfer request because he was homesick, Brighton fans gave him a great reception and he walked straight past the stand that we were in and totally blanked us. Then comments were made after by 1 or 2 after that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here