Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Winged rats

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i really dont understand why they are protected. according to RSPBA theres 3 times more of the Herring buggers than Sparrowhawks, yet the latter are not protected. i know which one im happier to have in my garden.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
They go further than that, if you walk near their nests around this time of year. A mate of mine was taken to A&E with a chunk taken out of his ear, I also had some genuinely scary experiences a few years ago where I had to abort jogs because I was getting dive bombed by seagulls. They can be absolutely vicious.

Quite - It's getting ridiculous now, I'm trying to do stuff in the garden and they're just attacking. Dirty, aggresive, horrible things.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Move somewhere else and find another species to complain about.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
But what I really hate about these Gulls is the incessant noise; they screech and squawk from 4 in the morning until it gets dark again.

Your's stop when it gets dark? You're lucky.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
They are a protected species and despite the seemingly ubquitous prescence and growing numbers in our towns, this is in fact misleading. Since 1970, the numbers of Herring Gulls has declined by 54.5% (source: DEFRA http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-2887 ). The main reason why we see so many in our towns and cities is the systematic destruction of their nesting habitat and overfishing of their feeding grounds. In other words, the reason we see so many seagulls crapping on our cars is entirely down to our own actions. Don't blame the seagulls - they are only doing what they can to survive being driven to extinction - I'm sure you would do the same if the boot was on the other foot. If you want to do something about it, lobby your MP, your MEP, whoever has the power or influence to help set up Maritime Reserves maybe, like there is around the Isle of Man?

Oct 25, 2003
the house that i've just moved out of had, for some reason, a chick nesting in the back yard...with no nest or anything. The mother was looking after it but it was literally living in the back yard. We couldn't go outside as the mother would go completely apeshit and the area was absolutely covered in seagull shit and vomit. They're actually quite cute as chicks so didn't really mind it being there, it's just a shame that they grow up into absolute ********s so we couldn't spend any time properly looking at it. Oh, and the noise was terrible (mostly the mother)

It was also in the middle of the bin strike so there was LOADS of food for it.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Our back garden at the moment is a no go area. The bungalow next door has 2 seagull chicks on its roof and we have 3 adults constantly attacking us. Being bungalow land the seagull's attack flight starts at a very low level and they are at head height with ease. Agree with Dougdeep that the noise is 24/7.

I am very suspicious of the claim that their numbers are declining. I believe this claim is based on counts of gulls in their traditional areas but not urban areas. As for us destroying their habitat and feeding areas, according to our local inshore fishermen the seas have plenty of fish inshore and as far as I know our South Coast cliffs are still as nature intended so why have the gulls moved in? I suspect it has more to do with the ease of getting food in our towns. Just like rats the gulls go where they can eat easily and as far as I'm concerned Herring Gulls should be in the same category as rats. They are a menace and a health hazard.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Our back garden at the moment is a no go area. The bungalow next door has 2 seagull chicks on its roof and we have 3 adults constantly attacking us. Being bungalow land the seagull's attack flight starts at a very low level and they are at head height with ease. Agree with Dougdeep that the noise is 24/7.

I am very suspicious of the claim that their numbers are declining. I believe this claim is based on counts of gulls in their traditional areas but not urban areas. As for us destroying their habitat and feeding areas, according to our local inshore fishermen the seas have plenty of fish inshore and as far as I know our South Coast cliffs are still as nature intended so why have the gulls moved in? I suspect it has more to do with the ease of getting food in our towns. Just like rats the gulls go where they can eat easily and as far as I'm concerned Herring Gulls should be in the same category as rats. They are a menace and a health hazard.

Irrespective of whether you believe the census data or not (and I'm not going to go after an argument - if you're interested in following up the data, the link is there) or whether there are lots of fish (in fact, Herring Gulls eat more crustaceans than fish, so not sure how strong an indicator that is), the fact is if they have moved inland because of easy access, it's still OUR doing that has caused it. Rather than moan about the gulls, how about moaning about the waste we create? If some large creature was potentially threatening your kids, what would you do? Yes, gulls are noisy, they do leave a mess, but I for one think they are still magnificent birds who are smart enough to take advantage of our wasteful and profligate society.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Irrespective of whether you believe the census data or not (and I'm not going to go after an argument - if you're interested in following up the data, the link is there) or whether there are lots of fish (in fact, Herring Gulls eat more crustaceans than fish, so not sure how strong an indicator that is), the fact is if they have moved inland because of easy access, it's still OUR doing that has caused it. Rather than moan about the gulls, how about moaning about the waste we create? If some large creature was potentially threatening your kids, what would you do? Yes, gulls are noisy, they do leave a mess, but I for one think they are still magnificent birds who are smart enough to take advantage of our wasteful and profligate society.

3 large creatures are threatening us and folk who are on our street. Ok they are not likely to kill us but having had one dig a hole in my bald pate they are not exactly friendly. As I said in my OP they have come on shore to eat our garbage and have now become more than a nuisance. We have seagulled proof our roof but others do not bother. Some even feed them. We have created the mess but do we just let the situation to get out of hand even more than now?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
3 large creatures are threatening us and folk who are on our street. Ok they are not likely to kill us but having had one dig a hole in my bald pate they are not exactly friendly. As I said in my OP they have come on shore to eat our garbage and have now become more than a nuisance. We have seagulled proof our roof but others do not bother. Some even feed them. We have created the mess but do we just let the situation to get out of hand even more than now?

Exactly, there's little denying that man has encouraged them but doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to reverse the process. There's little doubt the urban population is growing and it will carry on to do so.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Only just spotted this thread. Only YESTERDAY did we have to break open our blocked off chimney because a "baby" seagull fell down it. The chimney had been blocked off on the roof as well, but obviously not well enough! I say baby, it was still bigger than our cat...

13zcnc0.jpg

r0a7o4.jpg

Our bedroom window is right near the nest, I too am being woken up at 4-5am every morning by horrible screeching.

Bloody pests.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Did once hear about a method of "pacification" that involved inserting an Alka Seltzer tablet in to a food offering for the Gull and then hiding under an umbrella.

Bicarbonate of soda in a bit of bread, also works for "pacification" :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here