Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wine

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thank you to [MENTION=13683]Cowfold Seagull[/MENTION] for alerting me to the presence of this thread. There are some reasonable "sweet spot" wines with screw cap closures nowadays. Over Christmas I've had a bottle of Philip Shaw's The Idiot Shiraz and Johner Estate Gladstone Pinot Noir (with the Christmas Goose) both of which were perfectly decent screw closure wines. You won't find those in Tescys though. You'll find them with those good people at Quaff. Equally, Tesco do a cork closure Chateauneuf Du Pape that's bang average.

I now await the inevitable arrival of [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] to tell me what a peasant I am.

Serf

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thank you to [MENTION=13683]Cowfold Seagull[/MENTION] for alerting me to the presence of this thread. There are some reasonable "sweet spot" wines with screw cap closures nowadays. Over Christmas I've had a bottle of Philip Shaw's The Idiot Shiraz and Johner Estate Gladstone Pinot Noir (with the Christmas Goose) both of which were perfectly decent screw closure wines. You won't find those in Tescys though. You'll find them with those good people at Quaff. Equally, Tesco do a cork closure Chateauneuf Du Pape that's bang average.

I now await the inevitable arrival of [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] to tell me what a peasant I am.

Oik, I think.

Though he’s right that there are some very decent wines under screw cap.

Just not the ones he highlights. :wink:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

G1976 has raised the stakes and, on reflection, hoi-polloi might be more appropriate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you like Malbec and are not wedded to cork, Asda do a very passable screw-top Malbec. Gran Lomo. At £4.99 it's at the very affordable end of the market and rather nice. If you must buy wine from a supermarket you could do a lot worse.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think this could be the final straw for many of us and should be added to the list of reasons why there will be so many empty seats at the next match.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If you like Malbec and are not wedded to cork, Asda do a very passable screw-top Malbec. Gran Lomo. At £4.99 it's at the very affordable end of the market and rather nice. If you must buy wine from a supermarket you could do a lot worse.

I prefer Merlot to Malbec but I like both.
Aldi sell a very nice French Merlot for about a fiver, with a Cork in it.
To be honest when it comes to the cheaper end of the market having a Cork really makes little difference.
If I buy cheap wine I always get red as most are really drinkable but I have never found a nice white for less than £9 (basic white Burgundy)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can just imagine the Boro fans looking at NSC to see any news about Connolly, stumbling across this thread and muttering……soft Southern b*****s :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Wine? Yuck

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I prefer Merlot to Malbec but I like both.
Aldi sell a very nice French Merlot for about a fiver, with a Cork in it.
To be honest when it comes to the cheaper end of the market having a Cork really makes little difference.
If I buy cheap wine I always get red as most are really drinkable but I have never found a nice white for less than £9 (basic white Burgundy)

Ah yes, I can't drink white wine due to reflux issues but from memory it is hard to find anything decent tasting for less than about a tenner. Don't know Aldi's alcohol range but Lidl do some lovely tipples, I imagine they are quite similar. Thanks though, I might have a gander into Aldi :cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Peroni gluten free is good, many can't taste the difference from the normal stuff

I tried it. Unfortunately it tasted to me like the beer equivalent of a warm hand shake when you were hoping for a proper snog.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here