Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wine

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
I haven’t seen this mentioned and deserves a thread of its own. Unbelievably Jeff, there was no wine available in the North and South Stands on Sunday night at all. It wasn’t on the menu screens and the Sodexo staff told us there was none in the stadium. It is fair to say that it was the women in our party who would have drunk it but it meant that we didn’t stay after the match for our customary two or three drinks plus snackage, circa £100 income lost.

The choice of wine from Sodexo has always been dodgy, “1970’s syrup” is the description for the whites is often used. Pandering to current tastes and our new penchant for winning matches, Prosecco would undoubtedly sell well.

Was this a blip or a plan to refine our offering? Next thing, we will be back to warm Watneys and Westlers Burgers 😂

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I once, a long time ago, had a hospitality meal in the West Stand 1901. We had to show the young novice waiter how to use a corkscrew. True story

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I haven’t seen this mentioned and deserves a thread of its own. Unbelievably Jeff, there was no wine available in the North and South Stands on Sunday night at all. It wasn’t on the menu screens and the Sodexo staff told us there was none in the stadium. It is fair to say that it was the women in our party who would have drunk it but it meant that we didn’t stay after the match for our customary two or three drinks plus snackage, circa £100 income lost.

The choice of wine from Sodexo has always been dodgy, “1970’s syrup” is the description for the whites is often used. Pandering to current tastes and our new penchant for winning matches, Prosecco would undoubtedly sell well.

Was this a blip or a plan to refine our offering? Next thing, we will be back to warm Watneys and Westlers Burgers ��

2 or 3 glasses of 1970’s syrup at 10pm on a Sunday night? Are they seeking help?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I once, a long time ago, had a hospitality meal in the West Stand 1901. We had to show the young novice waiter how to use a corkscrew. True story

Well the very fact that a corkscrew was necessary to open the wine indicates that it was a long time ago, most wine bottles being of the screw top variety these days.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Well the very fact that a corkscrew was necessary to open the wine indicates that it was a long time ago, most wine bottles being of the screw top variety these days.

Burn him ! ( Although I will admit that plastic corks are used a lot these days here )

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

In Tesco maybe. Not from my vintner ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I guess it's largely down to how much one wants to spend on a bottle of wine, certainly in Majestic there are pleanty to choose from in screw top bottles! I'm not too bothered about the vintage, merely the taste.

With Shepherd Neame on your doorstep l thought you might be more of an ale man.

:lolol:

In theory I can't drink beer unless it's gluten-free (and consequently tastes like cardboard). I used to be Majestic but I get my wine from here now:

https://macknade.com/collections/wine-drinks

Heavy reds for me. Under a cork :wink:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't quite work out whether OP is bemoaning lack of availability of screw-top cooking wine, or bemoaning normal availability of same :moo:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thank you to [MENTION=13683]Cowfold Seagull[/MENTION] for alerting me to the presence of this thread. There are some reasonable "sweet spot" wines with screw cap closures nowadays. Over Christmas I've had a bottle of Philip Shaw's The Idiot Shiraz and Johner Estate Gladstone Pinot Noir (with the Christmas Goose) both of which were perfectly decent screw closure wines. You won't find those in Tescys though. You'll find them with those good people at Quaff. Equally, Tesco do a cork closure Chateauneuf Du Pape that's bang average.

I now await the inevitable arrival of [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] to tell me what a peasant I am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here