Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Windows 10 installed and working just had adjust the printer and google settings but so far so good. No doubt I shall be back with a problem in due course. Havent tried tge HDMI lead yet as I use the other lap top for that and have ordered a chromecast on ebay frkm China.

hope it is all going well. Microsoft edge is so quick for web browsing

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Anyone remember the "race" to market between IBM's O/S2 and Micro$oft's Windows?
I wonder how different home computing would be now if IBM had got there first?

Weren't IBM running MSDOS on their computers already? Microsoft wrote Windows to run on MSDOS, thus IBM never stood a chance, it was possibly their own fault for licensing MSDOS rather than buying it from Bill Gates.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Weren't IBM running MSDOS on their computers already? Microsoft wrote Windows to run on MSDOS, thus IBM never stood a chance, it was possibly their own fault for licensing MSDOS rather than buying it from Bill Gates.

Windows and MS-DOS are both operating systems, so one doesn't run on the other, as you suggest. EDIT: Actually I think Win3 and 3.11 for Workgroups installed over MS-DOS so you might be right - too long ago [but I still have the 3½ disks somewhere in the loft].

Granted early versions of Windows were very loosely based on MS-DOS with FAT16/32 disk access and both ran on the X86 Intel architecture.
However, IBM had their own "PC-DOS" running on their XT desktop computers - PC-DOS and MS-DOS were very similar and both would run on the Intel X86 processor.

IBM held all the cards in the early days IIRC as they had a patent out on the PC so no other manufacturers could copy the X86 architecture - soon as that lapsed the likes of Alan Sugar with his 1512 jumped in to manufacturing and Micro$oft was the only [at the time] real alternative O/S to IBM so they all went for that.

There was also an early Graphical User Interface called GEM that ran on MS-DOS and provided the first input from a mouse.

I think IBM were a bit too complacent and underestimated the JCL Bill Gates and his MS mob.
OS/2 arrived about 3 months after Windows 3 launched - the media hype had been intense for months in the lead-up - Windows got to market first, warts, bugs 'n' all, but by doing so, won the race.
OS/2 came along a bit later and was good, I recall trialling it, but it didn't do much more than Windows did already, so everyone went large on Windows and IBM forever lost their footing in the desktop market.

The rest, as they say, is history ...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Windows and MS-DOS are both operating systems, so one doesn't run on the other, as you suggest. EDIT: Actually I think Win3 and 3.11 for Workgroups installed over MS-DOS so you might be right - too long ago [but I still have the 3½ disks somewhere in the loft].

Granted early versions of Windows were very loosely based on MS-DOS with FAT16/32 disk access and both ran on the X86 Intel architecture.
However, IBM had their own "PC-DOS" running on their XT desktop computers - PC-DOS and MS-DOS were very similar and both would run on the Intel X86 processor.

IBM held all the cards in the early days IIRC as they had a patent out on the PC so no other manufacturers could copy the X86 architecture - soon as that lapsed the likes of Alan Sugar with his 1512 jumped in to manufacturing and Micro$oft was the only [at the time] real alternative O/S to IBM so they all went for that.

There was also an early Graphical User Interface called GEM that ran on MS-DOS and provided the first input from a mouse.

I think IBM were a bit too complacent and underestimated the JCL Bill Gates and his MS mob.
OS/2 arrived about 3 months after Windows 3 launched - the media hype had been intense for months in the lead-up - Windows got to market first, warts, bugs 'n' all, but by doing so, won the race.
OS/2 came along a bit later and was good, I recall trialling it, but it didn't do much more than Windows did already, so everyone went large on Windows and IBM forever lost their footing in the desktop market.

The rest, as they say, is history ...

I believe Microsoft licensed MSDOS to IBM and eventually to other pc manufacturers, rather than selling it to them. every PC ibm, and others sold, had MSDOS on it, and Microsoft got their license payment. Clever stuff by Bill Gates and his financial advisor, when Windows came along they did much the same, and as you say, the rest is history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here