Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

Jul 7, 2003
So is the general opinion install it now or wait a little longer?

As long as your PC and peripherals are compatible then Windows 10 is generally good for the normal home user like yourself.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
An odd and disturbing reply. Have you tried Linux recently?

Ha, nope, I was being flippant.

Truthfully, the few people I've known to use Linux at home by choice in the past have coloured my perception somewhat unfairly towards others. No judgement cast towards you nor offence intended.

By way of explanation, those users were very simlar to the Apple/Android users you can bump into who will preach as to the benefits of their preference with an evangelical zeal, treating all others with disdain for...I don't know...reasons?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Ha, nope, I was being flippant.

Truthfully, the few people I've known to use Linux at home by choice in the past have coloured my perception somewhat unfairly towards others. No judgement cast towards you nor offence intended.

By way of explanation, those users were very simlar to the Apple/Android users you can bump into who will preach as to the benefits of their preference with an evangelical zeal, treating all others with disdain for...I don't know...reasons?

Fair enough. I'm not really a Linux zealot, I just find it refreshingly simple to install and use, compared to Windows. Plus it's free and it doesn't want to track you it includes everything you need and ... oh, I see what you mean.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well, it depends what you have to do with it. What don't you like? I have to use Windows every day, and hate it, but there's some software that just won't run on Linux.

In reality my dislike probably emanates from the fact it is just 'different' from 9 out of 10 other PCs, laptops etc. This leads to it working in a different way, having to resend emails with different attachment formats, spreadsheets not working in the same way, overall package not being as polished. It maybe is OK, but you really can tell that it is a lower spec. That and our employers resident IT geeks insistence that it is superior to Microsoft, funny how 95% of the rest of the world disagrees.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
on windows 10 you have the bar at the bottom in normal laptop mode and then you can switch to tablet mode which brings up the tiles on the screen. you may still be in tablet mode??? even if the pc isn't a tablet it can still run tablet mode

Really?! I'll have to check that out when I log in tomorrow.

Thank you. They must all be on tablet mode (out work ones) as a few have had the same issue.

They are trialling the surface which may explain it! How would I change it?

Thanks again!

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Really?! I'll have to check that out when I log in tomorrow.

Thank you. They must all be on tablet mode (out work ones) as a few have had the same issue.

They are trialling the surface which may explain it! How would I change it?
Thanks again!

I use my Microsoft surface 3 a lot and I use it mainly in desktop mode. I use tablet mode when I don't use the add-on keyboard.
to change from tablet mode to desktop mode you go into settings then you have a sub-menu which is tablet mode and you can switch it on or off depending which one you want. any more help let me know
help.png

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Windows 8.1 but it uis running very slow and am considering buying one of the clean up programs but on google they seem to receive a mixed reception.

on my old windows 7 pc it was running slow and struggling. it wouldn't let me download the windows 10 update because it was so slow. I backed everything up onto a external hard or to OneDrive (Microsoft cloud served)
then I done a complete reset which wipes everything and easily done. then I was able to install windows 10 from fresh and worked brilliantly. just make sure you back everything up

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Windows 8.1 but it uis running very slow and am considering buying one of the clean up programs but on google they seem to receive a mixed reception.

to do the restart/ wipe your device it is hold "shift and press restart" at the same time then you get the options of what you can to do. I tried to do a screen shot for you but I can't. if you need help let me know

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have an external hard drive with 500GB space can I back up the C and Drive completely then click when it show install Windows 10. If I need anything saved to the external hard drive I do it via copy and paste normally would this be the same

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I have an external hard drive with 500GB space can I back up the C and Drive completely then click when it show install Windows 10. If I need anything saved to the external hard drive I do it via copy and paste normally would this be the same

500gb should be alright. you can drag and drop into the hard drive once it is connected to your pc or you can follow these steps. (ignore windows 7 in the link)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7

I always put my photo's and music onto the external hard-drive and documents and anything else very important.
so before you do the whole reset BACK everything up first. keep me updated (I am off all day so I am tech support for today or whenever)

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing

just checking but have you been prompted to download it?
if you are windows 8.1 or 8.2 you get it free of charge
or windows 7 like my laptop

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have copied everything from my C drive on my laptop to my external hard drive. Being a thickie I had to do it individually by copy and paste as I couldnt drag and click it, dont ask me why, but none the less all documents, music photos etc are copied.

Just to make sure that everything I have copied and m,y printer a Canon Pixma 3250 will all open and function with Windows 10. If so when I next switch on when I get back home after visiting relatives in Worthing the download will come on and I can then proceed as shown on the screen,.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I have copied everything from my C drive on my laptop to my external hard drive. Being a thickie I had to do it individually by copy and paste as I couldnt drag and click it, dont ask me why, but none the less all documents, music photos etc are copied.

Just to make sure that everything I have copied and m,y printer a Canon Pixma 3250 will all open and function with Windows 10. If so when I next switch on when I get back home after visiting relatives in Worthing the download will come on and I can then proceed as shown on the screen,.

yes you should be fine. you can always do the windows 10 download without doing the complete reset but that worked for me because mine was running slow. but you should be fine. if the printer does not work at the start you can just reconnect it via the usb lead and it will pick it up and install it for you. I will be here for help, if you need anything

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
In reality my dislike probably emanates from the fact it is just 'different' from 9 out of 10 other PCs, laptops etc. This leads to it working in a different way, having to resend emails with different attachment formats, spreadsheets not working in the same way, overall package not being as polished. It maybe is OK, but you really can tell that it is a lower spec. That and our employers resident IT geeks insistence that it is superior to Microsoft, funny how 95% of the rest of the world disagrees.

95% of computer buyers are not allowed to have the choice of operating system when buying a new PC, if that's what you mean. Microsoft exert their influence with the PC builders long before consumer choice comes into it.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Dolph Ins;7339499[B said:
]When I upgraded it no longer recognized my printer.[/B] Printer site said it had no intention of updating driver. So I had to get rid of a perfectly good printer (including spare cartridges:tantrum:) and buy a new one. Other than that happy with 10 but I was just as happy with 7, 95, XP...............................

I upgraded to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, funny enough I tried to print something off for the first time since upgrading an hour ago, it would not print, didn't suss out why (or care to much as it was not important, read your post and realised it might be the same reason, it was, i got windows 10 to recognize my printer and all is good. thanks for making me aware :thumbsup: did you not try to sort your old printer out with windows 10? it only took me a couple of minutes.

For what it's worth I do like Windows 10, albeit I took weeks to pluck up the courage to click the download button!

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
View attachment 73303

This is what Ubuntu 14.04 looks like.

Enough said about the other tabs you've got open. At least Linux tells you when dodgy websites try to download spyware onto your computer (which wouldn't run anyway on Linux). Unlike Windows, which not only wouldn't tell you it's downloaded it, it would probably try to run it too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here