Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimmins Football

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
i went to the Albion/Lewes Cup Final the other night and was pleasantly surprised. The standard of football was pretty good and certainly entertaining. Some of the finishing was weak (but there was a 30 yard screamer to set against that) and there was one tragic bit of keeping but that was no worse than Casper's(if that were possible). It's not men's football but that doesn't mean it doesn't have skill and isn't entertaining. I shall go again.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
I've quite often been conned into watching the odd bit of womensfootball when the BBC show their one televised game a season. I normaly turn it off after about 15 mins as it is utter turd.

Also, most women are into watching football because 'David Beckham is fit' or 'i like to look at all the legs'. On that reasoninig, if they made the women who play football slightly more attractive then i might get more interested in it. The last game i saw just looked like a load of lesbiens running around with a ball.

Goodness me - we are an enlightened thoughtful chap aren't we?

I think that may be the most dreadful yet comedic (for all the wrong reasons) post I have read on here for years.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
This thread is very unfair.

International womens football in no longer of the standard of a pub team. It has grown to a higher standard over the years, and has got to the level of a reasonable schoolboy team. At least U15s.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Any hint of even slight discrimination on NSC and you will be shot down relentlessly - except sexism, which is welcomed with open arms

The one comforting note about junior posting what he did is that he is clearly on the same intellectual level as a peanut. Illiterate, moronic and tragic - as long as it is only people like this who see the world in this way that, at least, is a small comfort.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When I lived Stateside in the days of Mia Hamm, you'd get crowds of 40-50k for some women's pro matches. Decent atmosphere too.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't understand how woman can be so bad at football? I don't know of any other sport where the disparity in abilities between sexes is so wide.

Oct 25, 2003
I don't understand how woman can be so bad at football? I don't know of any other sport where the disparity in abilities between sexes is so wide.

speed and stamina isn't as good in individuals, which leads to quite slow matches

the coaching infrastructure isn't as good....things like decision making are quite poor in womens football

the basic skills such as passing, shooting and ball control are all pretty decent

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It is a shame that women seek to maintain the status quo when it comes to sport, they undermine their argument for equality.

This will only be archived once gender aparthied in sport has been completely broken down, like it has in sports like horse racing and show jumping.

And before anyone rolls out the tired cliches about weak and feeble ladies, please note the attached....

Women in combat: US military officially lifts ban on female soldiers | World news | guardian.co.uk

If the sisters can operate equally on the front line with men they can surely have a kick about too.....they would do themselves a greater service by disbanding their own sporting structures so they can compete directly in men's competitions.

Till then they are only playing at equality, and no one will really take their sport seriously, despite the earnest efforts of the BBC.

D

Deleted member 18477

Serious question - are there any sports that women are genuinely better than men at?

I'd rather watch women's beach volleyball than mens. Apart from that I don't think there's any women's sport I'd rather watch. Although No they're not better than men at it though.

Women's football is shite!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Oct 25, 2003
I'd rather watch women's beach volleyball than mens. Apart from that I don't think there's any women's sport I'd rather watch. Women's football is shite!!

they're not better at it though

and let's be honest, once you've watched a minute or two of womens beach volleyball, you get over the fact that they're not wearing much and realise you're watch a really, really boring sport

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Women's football is the fastest growing sport in the uk. More and more girls are taking it up so the quality will improve.

I've always enjoyed watching it and would certainly encourage my daughter to do so

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Women's football is the fastest growing sport in the uk. More and more girls are taking it up so the quality will improve.

I've always enjoyed watching it and would certainly encourage my daughter to do so

This. I've been down to assist with the girls Center of Excellence in recent weeks and it's great to see amount of girls getting into football.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Ok so im an Albion fan and I support both the mens and womens team and have been to both the Amex to watch the mens team and the Withdean to watch the ladies. Obviously they are worlds apart in terms of skill, but its great to show my kids that women can participate in sport.

Its changing, but its difficult still for girls who show potential in football as often there is not the opportunity to play with the best as they have to split to a girls team at some point, where there are less players and teams and therefore less opportunity to get to be the best.

Wait and see. I went to watch the match at Wembley and my daughter who is 8 has been saying since that she is going to be a millionaire through football and play for the England team (which she says will be a mixed team like the one she currently plays in). Shes got determination and ambition so lets see which of the male dinosaurs or the female visionary is furthest from reality in 10 years!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've seen the ladies on a few times this season and very inpressed. There's no 'handbags', the tackles are fierce and the passing is excellent. Well worth a visit to Withers, and you can add a Sunday meal at the Sportsman too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here