Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimmins Football

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just watched a BBC news report about an England Ladies international and how she "only" earns £20k a year for representing her country. The piece finished with the reporter asking "how long before the gender gap closes?".

I'll ****ing answer it for you, you ****ing clueless ****, when women's football attracts 40k fans week in week out. When its a marketable product. When the standard of football on show is better than watching a bluesquare southern division under-12's half a pitch game at half time.

Apparently, this pay gap is a failure of the Olympic legacy. No it isn't, it's because the standard of football in the women's game is dire. It's because the standard of women's football only attracts 400 people to pay to watch an England international. £20k to entertain 400 people 6 times a year is too ****ing much.

Discuss.
You're right, there's little to discuss.

The goalkeepers are generally shocking.
Definitely, when I watch highlights of women's footy so often the goals are chipped goals - the keepers are rarely over 5'8" sometimes smaller, they stand no chance.
Womens football:

9 munters
1 fit bird
and the comedy gold that is the goalkeeper.
I went to uni in 1990 and was talking to the ladies football team about the standard of women's football, and I said then that it was all ok except for the goalies. The goalie didn't like that. So nothing has changed in 23 years. It's like when the celebrities take on the old stars (men's footy), all of the celebrity team are 'celebrities' except for the keeper - they get a professional. Because it's a ridiculously difficult job, and it's easy to look like a fool in goal.

Our womens team only get paid for travel expenses and they are playing in the equivalent of League 1.
:laugh: The worlds best women's team are nothing like the standard of league 1.

Serious question - are there any sports that women are genuinely better than men at?
Serious answer - no.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's like when the celebrities take on the old stars (men's footy), all of the celebrity team are 'celebrities' except for the keeper - they get a professional. Because it's a ridiculously difficult job, and it's easy to look like a fool in goal.

Not universally true. In the biggest charity game every year, Patrick Kielty and Jamie Theakston play in goal, and both have looked very capable.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Smaller goals (7yds x 7ft) is a spectacularly good idea. I wonder why they don't do exactly that as it would end at a stroke the farce that is every game including several "chipped" goals over a helpless looking keeper (nothing says that men and women playing the same sport have to use the same dimensions/equipment...).

Did anyone else see the clips shown before the Leicester game of Albion's women...? I was really hoping they wouldn't be embarrassing but unfortunately all of the cliches were presented inside about 90 seconds footage...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was anyone else in the concourse last saturday when they were showing the Albion Women's highlights?

There were some genuinely loud outbreaks of laughter at some of the football being played, particularly the goalkeeping. Was a bit awkward actually.

Oct 25, 2003
Smaller goals (7yds x 7ft) is a spectacularly good idea. I wonder why they don't do exactly that as it would end at a stroke the farce that is every game including several "chipped" goals over a helpless looking keeper (nothing says that men and women playing the same sport have to use the same dimensions/equipment...).

Did anyone else see the clips shown before the Leicester game of Albion's women...? I was really hoping they wouldn't be embarrassing but unfortunately all of the cliches were presented inside about 90 seconds footage...

men are on average taller than women....i can't see how it makes any sense to have men and women using the same sized goals

i'm 6 foot 2 and am probably on the short side when it comes to goalkeepers, it certainly feels like it when i'm in a full sized goal....i'm taller than the vast majority of women

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not universally true. In the biggest charity game every year, Patrick Kielty and Jamie Theakston play in goal, and both have looked very capable.
I think that's the same game I've been talking about, and Mark Bosnich would be the celebrity keeper. Has it changed, or does a celebrity do half a game?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
About 80,000 people watched ladies England vs Brazil at Wembley in the Olympics, but I see the rest of your point.

7 yards by 7 feet as opposed to the usual 8 x 8' could work?

Thins was my thinking.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yoga isn't a sport.

The best answer I can think of is equestrianism.
Oo good call. I don't think women are considered better, but it's much more even.

Smaller goals (7yds x 7ft) is a spectacularly good idea. I wonder why they don't do exactly that
It probably is a good idea, but maybe they think the higher number of goals in more entertaining (remember the yanks wanted to make the men's goals bigger for the '94 WC). And feminists (women football players) wouldn't want to ask for something smaller than the men use.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Womens football isnt big in the UK, if they want to make a career and are good enough go to a country where you can play professional.

Much like Men have to do if there own countries league is a pile of old w*nk.

You cant expect people to go and watch something they clearly dont want to.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Was anyone else in the concourse last saturday when they were showing the Albion Women's highlights?

There were some genuinely loud outbreaks of laughter at some of the football being played, particularly the goalkeeping. Was a bit awkward actually.

You sexist PIG

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Oo good call. I don't think women are considered better, but it's much more even.

It probably is a good idea, but maybe they think the higher number of goals in more entertaining (remember the yanks wanted to make the men's goals bigger for the '94 WC). And feminists (women football players) wouldn't want to ask for something smaller than the men use.

Perhaps some of the olympic gymnastic sports. Or figure skating. Or synchronised swimming? All of those could be debated though.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Understandable, It's comedy gold

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think that's the same game I've been talking about, and Mark Bosnich would be the celebrity keeper. Has it changed, or does a celebrity do half a game?

John Leslie used to do the keeping at these events before he was outed iirc.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Womens Tennis is far more entertaining than mens to watch.

That's a very good shout, but they are not BETTER than the men in ability. Competetiveness, yes.

I remember in the early/mid 2000's the womens game being immense. The Williams sisters, Davenport, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Sharapova, Mauresmo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here