Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Wimbledon 2021

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I watched the McEnroe comments live and knew there was going to be a backlash. But I think in the full context of his comments, he isn't wrong. You can probably take a quote or two out of context but in the full context of what he said, I agreed with him. It was an awful lot of pressure on her shoulders, last match on Court 1 (with the excellent capacity of 12,345 - it might not be full but it's still huge for someone playing just their 5th WTA level match), home favourite, favourable opponent... She had the whole day to wait around the lockerroom or wherever she spent it. She knew that her match was last on and would likely be the only match being played, so the world was watching. I have no doubt she developed some kind of abdominal injury and maybe a more experienced player would have left the court after the first set (which ended really abruptly, by the way - she wasn't behind until the final point of the set) to get the medical treatment she needed and to reset. She looked more and more jaded at the start of the second set and maybe the reality of the situation did start to sink in, it certainly seemed like she was overwhelmed and in the end they kept her on court longer than they should have considering she was really struggling to breathe at all.

It all comes with the territory of elite level sport. It's a massive learning experience for her. She clearly has the game to compete at this level and hopefully we'll see her at Wimbledon in 2022 having played plenty of tour level matches around the world, learnt the craft a little bit more and be a more well-rounded person for the experience. Which was also a point made by McEnroe, she's only 18! What an enormous thing to put on a young person's shoulders. It was a horrible night for her and it's much worse than Andy Murray's equivalent, which was to lose from 2-0 up at his first Wimbledon. It did him no harm and longer term I assume it'll do her no harm either.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
It's all kicking off today with the backlash off the back of JPMc's comments last night.

I have no problem with his comments if they were to be factually accurate but at that stage last night nobody knew what hew issue/issues were. Questioning someones mental ability/strength should only be done if it is evident that that was the source of her departure. It would be vilified by some and understood by others if they understood the need for super mental strength in the world of Tennis. This game has always been up on a pedestal for me in good reason. Other than boxing I can't think of an individual sport where the entire pressure of each moment is all on the one persons shoulders. They have to be fit, tactical, strong, skilful, quick, mentally strong for a length of time that is not set. Add to the mix that she is 18 playing in her first home slam with minimal experience infront of home fans who have been whipped into a frenzy by the media it wouldn't surprise me if she has a panic attack.

I would have been the same as her.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Federer being given an absolute spanking by Hurkacz. 2 sets down and 3 games down in the 4th set. I have never seen Federer make so many unforced errors from the pressure. All over I suggest as he shows absolutely no sign of being able to turn this around :bigwave:

Now serving to stay in the match. 2 sets down and 0-5. Been absolutely blown away

GONE out with a whimper not a bang. Sad to see but the Pole was better than him in every department

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shapovalov giving Djokovic a great game but 2 sets down and missing EVERY big point. Some fabulous tennis but very frustrating to watch

Shapovalov has also gone a bit John McEnroe in his complaints (unjustified) to the chair umpire.

Gonna be a great player but not today I fear

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Shapovalov giving Djokovic a great game but 2 sets down and missing EVERY big point. Some fabulous tennis but very frustrating to watch

Shapovalov has also gone a bit John McEnroe in his complaints (unjustified) to the chair umpire.

Gonna be a great player but not today I fear

He certainly has a temper.

[YT]H4e1L-NcIqc[/YT]

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just seen that my old PE Teacher is now the Wimbledon Referee. Gerry Armstrong used to be a stand in teacher and spent one Technical Drawing class discussing his time as an umpire and generally name dropping. Think he was responsible for "inventing" Maggotball - a sort of no holds barred cross between 5 a side football and handball that was understandably popular amongst us 15 year old boys. H&S would need smelling salts if they saw it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here