Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

William Buckley

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So that's one occasion, wow, we do spoil him don't we.

You asked the question, I answered it.

Was a really poor miss. Others had chances but that was the one that should have won the game. It's the sort of a chance a professional forward player should score. Not to even hit the target? Poor.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
You asked the question, I answered it.

Was a really poor miss. Others had chances but that was the one that should have won the game. It's the sort of a chance a professional forward player should score. Not to even hit the target? Poor.

Agree with this. Was is disbelief that it wasn't on target. And on the topic of not using his pace by playing him through, the amount of times Bruno charged down the wing looking for somebody infront of him where Buckley should have been was unbelievable. Bruno was putting all the effort in on the counter attack, and Buckley just casually jogged over without a care in the world. Very disappointing.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
He's going to struggle all the while their is nobody in the midfield who posseses the ability to play a through ball or provide some sort of quality service. We've got a large void between the industrial midfielders and the forward 2/3. Until something is happening in that part of the park I can't see much happening up top :shrug:

When watching premiership games you see where we really fail at the moment. When we have the ball in wide positions there is one player in the box. Watching the premiership games last night there are four or five players getting in the box. Now I know we are talking a difference in quality of the players, but the principle is still the same. Our problem appears to be that we don't have box to box midfielders that can arrive in the box at the same time as our wingers get the ball in wide areas. I suggest that may be the age of our attacking midfielders. I think JFC would be better employed just behind the front players. The goals he got under Gus were by getting into the box early. He is playing too deep to do that at the moment. We have too many midfielders who are either getting to the end of their careers or inexperienced and starting theirs. We need a few experienced 25-28 year olds in the midfield if we are to compete at this level

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Seriously?! A million pounds is not a lot of money any more and he's one of our best players.

Not anymore he isn't. He has been poor for the whole of this season and we have carried him and David in all the games they have played. It is like playing with 9 men every week. If Lua Lua had been fully fit, I doubt you would have seen Buckley start as many games as he has. Worth about £300k now I reckon on performances.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not anymore he isn't. He has been poor for the whole of this season and we have carried him and David in all the games we have played. It is like playing with 9 men every week. If Lua Lua had been fully fit, I doubt you would have seen Buckley start as many games as he has. Worth about £300k now I reckon on performances.

I've just watched the highlights on player and, though not an entirely accurate reflection of the game, his passing and ease at beating players looks ridiculous. Missed a couple of great chances but looks like our best player.
Dean Cox would cost more than £300k. That figure is a joke.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I've just watched the highlights on player and, though not an entirely accurate reflection of the game, his passing and ease at beating players looks ridiculous. Missed a couple of great chances but looks like our best player.
Dean Cox would cost more than £300k. That figure is a joke.

On performances one could argue they are both worth the same at the moment. One playing poorly in the championship and one playing well at the top of league one. As for Buckley being our best player, you are having a laugh based on this season. Like saying Bruno is our best defender.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
On performances one could argue they are both worth the same at the moment. One playing poorly in the championship and one playing well at the top of league one. As for Buckley being our best player, you are having a laugh based on this season. Like saying Bruno is our best defender.

I'm only taking that from the highlights. He didn't sound particularly impressive on commentary and I wasn't there to watch.
Nonetheless: he's one of the few players we have available that can change a game, a la Bolton.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agree with this. Was is disbelief that it wasn't on target. And on the topic of not using his pace by playing him through, the amount of times Bruno charged down the wing looking for somebody infront of him where Buckley should have been was unbelievable. Bruno was putting all the effort in on the counter attack, and Buckley just casually jogged over without a care in the world. Very disappointing.

That's not true..... Four it five times Buckley moved down the wing in the first half only for Bruno to pass it back and twice kick the ball out trying to pass it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You obviously didn't hear it on the radio, but Conway beat his man countless times and was able to put a cross into the box. It's a shame there was nobody there to convert. Well, a championship striker anyway.

Correct.. that's what I watched...faded a bit after 70 mins b4 being subbed but didn't play too bad at all

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
When watching premiership games you see where we really fail at the moment. When we have the ball in wide positions there is one player in the box. Watching the premiership games last night there are four or five players getting in the box. Now I know we are talking a difference in quality of the players, but the principle is still the same. Our problem appears to be that we don't have box to box midfielders that can arrive in the box at the same time as our wingers get the ball in wide areas. I suggest that may be the age of our attacking midfielders. I think JFC would be better employed just behind the front players. The goals he got under Gus were by getting into the box early. He is playing too deep to do that at the moment. We have too many midfielders who are either getting to the end of their careers or inexperienced and starting theirs. We need a few experienced 25-28 year olds in the midfield if we are to compete at this level
Couldn't agree more, I have been saying this for the last 18 months

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I think JFC would be better employed just behind the front players. The goals he got under Gus were by getting into the box early. He is playing too deep to do that at the moment.

Goals? He's only scored once for our first team as far as I can recall.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
That's not true..... Four it five times Buckley moved down the wing in the first half only for Bruno to pass it back and twice kick the ball out trying to pass it.

Err, yes it is true. Correct, Buckley did make a few runs and Bruno failed to make a pass. But this thread is about Will Buckley's performance. Not Bruno's. I was commenting on him showing no effort to make the run when Bruno needed somebody to pass to on the counter attack.

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You obviously didn't hear it on the radio, but Conway beat his man countless times and was able to put a cross into the box. It's a shame there was nobody there to convert. Well, a championship striker anyway.

You obviously HEARD it on the radio, that was not my recollection at all. Good cross for Barnes header, another a defender put out, which was a bit aimless but arguably right area. Rest of the time, got the ball in a good position and turned back, to pass to Ward, who was equally hopeless. Too scared to use his left foot, though we did see why when he fell over when through....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But do you not think Buckley has been told to come inside more, because he was not on the wing and surely that can only be tactical.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Rememer he scored at least 2 in that spell he had in January where he burst through to the first team after injuries. Probably worth giving him a game in front of crofts behind the striker without too much responsibility. Remember he made several decent attacking bursts at that time. And lit up the game in that stoke fa cup game.

On one of the other points, made a thread including a bit about getting players in the box earlier. Crofts is obviously doing well as his goal stats show. But no one else seems to make the effort at all. Each winger needs to get in at the back post as well as another midfielder. We always seem to attack with just a couple of players, need to take more risks. Was watching the FLS this morning and most other championship teams have about 4 players in the box. Other sides have players 25ish yards out willing to have a go, can't even remember last time one of our players had a decent go from distance....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here