Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we ever know what went wrong?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
But the only one to do so whilst under a transfer embargo.
he did well He had done well in previous years for us, Fulham and Brentford. By the time he had come back for his 2nd spell with us, his POST Albion success had on balance been moderate.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Poyet going was inevitable, he served his time here.

I gave Bloom a lot of credit for appointing Oscar and he probably sealed the deal well before the playoffs. My disappointment was the failure to back Garcia in the January transfer window, because after Poyet I would have thought that Bloom would have done all he could to make sure we had a chance to get to the Prem, just to prove the point that he could do it without Gus.

Instead of proving he was right, he actually proved that Poyet was right. In this sense he failed to back his own decision :shrug: and that has been the biggest mistake of his Albion tenure.

Any person with normal sense could have told Bloom that if you don't back the manager when it is most needed, they will go, and Bloom was foolish to think otherwise.

Why would any manager commit to a job if there is no commitment from those above him?

We are set up to work as an efficient organisation, but if you haven’t got any common sense to go with it, you have a problem. Instead of bouncing back from the Poyet fiasco the club has put themselves back five years, and it is all of their own doing.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If you really cant see the connection between those events and now then I Dont know what to say.

Where we are now is a direct consequence.

I can - but as I said in the rest of the paragraph you highlighted - they are a total irrelevance to potential players and managers - the size of the wage we offer is the primary issue.

How we are set up now is of course a consideration. What happened around Gus Poyet is not.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I dont think he needed to give in to his every demand no. I think he needed to manage Gus's ego better. Make him feel wanted. I think instead Bloom and Barber maybe played hardball with him, to show jhim it was 'their' club not his.. If they had been more sensitive Gus would have stayed..

Gus would never have stayed. He always wanted to leave. He told Bloom he wanted to leave way before the season ended. Gus can play the victim all he wants but the victim he never was. Get over it.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
While the Gus thing was strange, I'm more bemused by what went on with Oscar. Here was a man who really wanted the job (what Bloom said about his interview said alot), said all the correct things, had a nice new training ground to go to and yet walked out (and wanted to leave earlier in the season).

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Gus would never have stayed. He always wanted to leave. He told Bloom he wanted to leave way before the season ended. Gus can play the victim all he wants but the victim he never was. Get over it.

Big Ego... no doubt...
Sometimes like a moody teenager.... yep true..
I'm gonna leave home if I dont get my own way..... yep..

Lots of top sportsmen and artists etc have delicate Egos, and these need to be handled in a certain way..

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
While the Gus thing was strange, I'm more bemused by what went on with Oscar. Here was a man who really wanted the job (what Bloom said about his interview said alot), said all the correct things, had a nice new training ground to go to and yet walked about (and wanted to leave earlier in the season).

Yep! But it seems to me they were both upset for the same reasons...
and its those reasons I want to know!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
OG also made very similar comments when he was in charge. We need to ask why he wanted to leave, as well. It's a shame, because although I was never his biggest fan, I think Oscar could have built something here if he'd stayed another season (health conditions aside). He did very well to get us into the play-offs.

i dont know why people put this aside so lightly, its a major issue. his health wouldnt have suddenly deteriorated in the summer. he couldnt handle the stress of Championship managment. Garcia would have been well awar of the budget and setup (nothing changed after he joined) so it really cant be for the same reasons as Poyet that he had problems.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
melodramatic as always, current events at the club do not lead directly from events of year and half ago. Poyet was leaving anyway, so many seem to forget this, his constant flirting with other clubs, his ego demanding a "bigger" club, he'd done his shift.

I can't agree with that at all.

There are still huge questions left unanswered as to why not one, but two managers, decided to leave despite getting us into the play offs. The manner in which both departed is still left very cloak and dagger, and that rankles, personally.

They didn't decide to go after failing in the play offs, or failing to deliver over a season, but instead before they even knew if they'd led us to the premier league or not having got so close. We are told that the Championship playoff final is the biggest game in football, in terms of financial reward, and the kudos for a manager to take a team up into the premiership is massive too, yet both managers had decided to walk, having led us to the play offs but before the results were even known. That has to be a worry surely?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
i dont know why people put this aside so lightly, its a major issue. his health wouldnt have suddenly deteriorated in the summer. he couldnt handle the stress of Championship managment. Garcia would have been well awar of the budget and setup (nothing changed after he joined) so it really cant be for the same reasons as Poyet that he had problems.

But he re-joined Maccabi after he left us and then went to Watford so presumably he didn't have health problems over the summer? It's also a bit facile to suggest that his heart problems were directly related to 'the stress of Championship management' (I think living in Tel Aviv would be more stressful!). He could just have a heart condition he was unaware of.

Oscar made several comments during his spell at the club which echoed Poyet's 'we've hit the ceiling' one. He said he enjoyed his time but didn't want to stay another season, which on reflection is a very strange comment to make especially as he then came back and joined another Championship club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can't agree with that at all.

There are still huge questions left unanswered as to why not one, but two managers, decided to leave despite getting us into the play offs. The manner in which both departed is still left very cloak and dagger, and that rankles, personally.

They didn't decide to go after failing in the play offs, or failing to deliver over a season, but instead before they even knew if they'd led us to the premier league or not having got so close. We are told that the Championship playoff final is the biggest game in football, in terms of financial reward, and the kudos for a manager to take a team up into the premiership is massive too, yet both managers had decided to walk, having led us to the play offs but before the results were even known. That has to be a worry surely?

Poyet didn't decide to leave, he was sacked for gross misconduct.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Poyet didn't decide to leave, he was sacked for gross misconduct.

Yep, but isn't it at least on record that he'd asked to leave back in March?, at which point we were riding high in the division.

Something at the club is still not right, and none of us seem any the wiser as to what it is.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yep, but isn't it at least on record that he'd asked to leave back in March?, at which point we were riding high in the division.

Something at the club is still not right, and none of us seem any the wiser as to what it is.

Poyet wasn't happy with the budget, if he was serious about resigning in March he would have simply walked, instead we went on an unbeaten run until the end of the season.

I suspect it wasn't the first or last time he made such a threat, it's just the only one that TB told us about.

spellfast

Jul 14, 2011
Stone Cross
Seems to me the reason poyet was unhappy was the club's policy on ffp and signing players which ultimately is what scared off Garcia and explains why we ended up with hyppia who suely wasn't first choice. Other teams have ignored ffp and will get a transfer embargo but frankly who cares because they've already got their squad in order. We on the other hand totally messed up the transfer window, have a manager who is out of his depth and a squad of poor quality with a board who seem unable to realise when things are seriously wrong. To think under gus we were only three points (I think) from automatic promotion...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Seems to me the reason poyet was unhappy was the club's policy on ffp and signing players which ultimately is what scared off Garcia and explains why we ended up with hyppia who suely wasn't first choice. Other teams have ignored ffp and will get a transfer embargo but frankly who cares because they've already got their squad in order. We on the other hand totally messed up the transfer window, have a manager who is out of his depth and a squad of poor quality with a board who seem unable to realise when things are seriously wrong. To think under gus we were only three points (I think) from automatic promotion...

But the football was boring under Gus apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here