Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we be signing a DECENT striker on loan or permanent before the window closes?

Will we be signing a decent new striker by the time the window closes?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It was always unthinkable that we wouldn't sign a striker - although, granted, we haven't yet.

But my mood has lifted immensely with just a solid rumour of such a signing.
Naylor has now said No to Selke.

Mood deteriorates again.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think that we are resigned to the inevitable GP is not the answer. He brought fresh ideas and hope when he arrived but has been exposed as sadly lacking in knowledge and tactical nous for The Premier.

When you hire an inexperienced young manager learning their trade, do you think it is fair to write them off 6 months into the job? Or is it perhaps a better idea to accept that they aren't going to have all the answers immediately, otherwise they clearly wouldn't be managing us? Give the guy a chance FFS, we're not in the relegation zone and we've been far more exciting to watch this year. I don't understand what people expect!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When you hire an inexperienced young manager learning their trade, do you think it is fair to write them off 6 months into the job? Or is it perhaps a better idea to accept that they aren't going to have all the answers immediately, otherwise they clearly wouldn't be managing us? Give the guy a chance FFS, we're not in the relegation zone and we've been far more exciting to watch this year. I don't understand what people expect!

Have you not been paying attention? All that BG cares about is winning. He’s a bit grumpy at the moment because both his Premier League teams are coming up short.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's a bit mad really isn't it. We sign 2 decent enough young prospects from the Championship, a young lad from Genk, and we're supposed to go from 36 points and by the skin of our teeth surviving in this league to what, pushing for Europe?

Now you can go in for all the 'you make you're own luck' etc. and we have lacked that bit of killer bite and resilience, by blimey I look at the 5 teams 5 points above us and those 5 points are really just a marginal moment not going our way but going theirs.

What have we been doing this season, taking the game to other teams, blooding youngsters, being braver on the ball, more attacking with more possession. It's not transferred into points, sadly, but we're not rubbish either. We're in a bad spot of confidence in front of goal, a perennial issue for any side in the bottom half.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It looks like Murray is staying, so no central striker will now be bought it seems.

We can't give Glenn assurances of a greater role and at the same time buy another central striker.

Maybe another utility attacking player is on the cards, which explains our indecisiveness as to whether we recall Mac Allister.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's a bit mad really isn't it. We sign 2 decent enough young prospects from the Championship, a young lad from Genk, and we're supposed to go from 36 points and by the skin of our teeth surviving in this league to what, pushing for Europe?

Now you can go in for all the 'you make you're own luck' etc. and we have lacked that bit of killer bite and resilience, by blimey I look at the 5 teams 5 points above us and those 5 points are really just a marginal moment not going our way but going theirs.

What have we been doing this season, taking the game to other teams, blooding youngsters, being braver on the ball, more attacking with more possession. It's not transferred into points, sadly, but we're not rubbish either. We're in a bad spot of confidence in front of goal, a perennial issue for any side in the bottom half.

Spot on. In another season we beat Villa and Bournemouth and we'd be above Arsenal in 10th. The margins are so fine in the bottom half this year.

I keep hearing things like "If we don't win our next two we are down" which is absolute nonsense. We are down if we are in the bottom three on 17th May, or if we mathematically can't climb out of the bottom three at any time before then. I find it so odd the way football fans just forget every year how much the table moves around in the last few months, and how many twists and turns there will still be to come. We could still finish cut adrift at the bottom by 8 points and be looked at as this year's whipping boys, and we could still feasibly finish 9th, which would have big clubs immediately sniffing around Potter with him being the hottest property in English football. It's not even February yet! People's knee-jerk reaction to a dodgy run of performances under a young, up and coming coach who is bringing young players through is embarrassing. Do these people just quit their jobs when they have a bad day? Or walk out of a relationship at the first argument?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Wise words. KEEP THE FAITH

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I hear you, but he hasn’t been with the club long enough imho to have an impact.

I think CH and GP have both been hamstrung by a lack of pace in the team, the striker situation, and other weaknesses eg RB.

Perhaps you’re right, but TB made the investment very early on, the buy them young and develop or sell at profit was also in place.

As I say I probably just don’t know enough about it.

Pace wise, yes agree....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Spot on. In another season we beat Villa and Bournemouth and we'd be above Arsenal in 10th. The margins are so fine in the bottom half this year.

I keep hearing things like "If we don't win our next two we are down" which is absolute nonsense. We are down if we are in the bottom three on 17th May, or if we mathematically can't climb out of the bottom three at any time before then. I find it so odd the way football fans just forget every year how much the table moves around in the last few months, and how many twists and turns there will still be to come. We could still finish cut adrift at the bottom by 8 points and be looked at as this year's whipping boys, and we could still feasibly finish 9th, which would have big clubs immediately sniffing around Potter with him being the hottest property in English football. It's not even February yet! People's knee-jerk reaction to a dodgy run of performances under a young, up and coming coach who is bringing young players through is embarrassing. Do these people just quit their jobs when they have a bad day? Or walk out of a relationship at the first argument?

All good and reasonable points.

Permission to potentially crap my pants if we don’t sign a striker before the window closes though?

Or put it another way, will your confidence take a knock if we don’t, or is your faith unshakeable?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
obviously fine lines, but under hughts we would be below norwich so a vast improvement with potter.

the "sea change" between playing 9 defenders to 3/4/5 will necessarily take more than 24 games

And More than a few Inactive transfer windows

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have you not been paying attention? All that BG cares about is winning. He’s a bit grumpy at the moment because both his Premier League teams are coming up short.

That is because my main love BHA are struggling with no signs of any improvement. I am sorry but I do not see the point in playing, whether it be nice football or not, if you are not winning which is 95% of the enjoyment of going to a game IMHO.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9225591 said:
Wow - you must have had a pretty miserable last 25 years!

Not really because we have had many good times but I am not impressed with our present lack luster offerings which are down to our inability to create and take chances rather than bad luck.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Potter on tomorrow: "The last thing I will be doing is watching the TV on deadline day.
"My phone will be on silent during training and in the afternoon you never know." #BHAFC. From Andy Naylor on twitter. Fingers crossed. At least he hasn't ruled the possibility out

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here