[Albion] Will we be buying anyone in January?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A Striker and a Right Back are probably the only two positions we definitely need re-inforcements in.

I’ve advocated right back as well

But I thought the Palace game was Montoya’s best performance for us and Alzate seems to be able to slot in there (and everywhere else on this pitch) very nicely.

Now I'm not so sure

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I’ve advocated right back as well

But I thought the Palace game was Montoya’s best performance for us and Alzate seems to be able to slot in there (and everywhere else on this pitch) very nicely.

Now I'm not so sure

True, but it's still risk not having another recognised RB I would have thought. Could be we go back in for Bogle from Derby as they're not doing very well, wouldn't be surprised.
Just imagine if Montoya gets injured plus a couple of midfielders get injured/suspended. Yes Webster can play RB but it means not deploying your best players in their best positions.
Anyhoo Potter will have a plan in place as what he wants to do, so I guess we'll have to wait and see! :)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think we have plenty enough for RB this season; Montoya, Alzate, Greyhound and plenty of others who could do a job in an emergency (AJ, Solly etc).

For me a striker should be 100% our priority. As mentioned here one injury to Maupay and we are back to relying on Murray holding it up Hughton style.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think we have plenty enough for RB this season; Montoya, Alzate, Greyhound and plenty of others who could do a job in an emergency (AJ, Solly etc).

For me a striker should be 100% our priority. As mentioned here one injury to Maupay and we are back to relying on Murray holding it up Hughton style.

Personally I don’t think Murray will start for us in the league again, even if Maupay gets crocked.

We would probably go something like

Gross Trossard
Connolly

It’s only if Maupay and Connolly went down, Muzza would probably play. Even then I wouldn’t rule out Trossard being sent up top and Mooy, Ali J or March being put in behind.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Also a lot of other moving parts in the striker situation, possible, Mlakar recall, possible Tau work permit application

To me it would make sense to have another player in this position though. I think we're less able to rotate players for those 3 games in 7 days situations than some of our rivals. We've got the numbers, but not the numbers who Potter trusts to play. Our strikers do a lot of running.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Bamford ... although Leeds haven't started their traditional collapse as yet.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This is absolutely binary IMO - buy/loan a striker in or get relegated. Murray is finished and Maupay can’t play every match. Just having Maupay and Connolly would be a massive risk.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
All my hard work dismissed in one short tweet. :lol:

Cheer up old sausage.

Get all over this and you won’t be too disappointed come January:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/roman-yaremchuk/profil/spieler/221958

https://youtu.be/SFJkxo7uYWI

56441a7b08e6fe75168cb014b24c4bfb.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Pretty much this really. To a certain extent l think the club have learned a lesson with the Locadia, Andone, Jahanbaksh fiascos. I really can't see Calvert-Lewin in an Albion shirt anyway, he loves Everton, and more imortantly Everton seem to love him. Big Dunc has been a mentor and is something of a father figure l believe, so it will take an awful lot to prise him away.

Yeah. Calvert-Lewin is the kind of striker we need, but even if he's not in Ancelotti's plans, this winter will come too soon

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Do you think TB will go for a 'top' striker now in January? Is against what we've done before but he's a fan and can see the chances we're creating, just need a 5 years younger Murray to get a few more into the onion sack. I know we need other positions but losing Andone and Locadia has hit the plans for the first half of the season. Tony is not adverse to the odd calculated risk and this could be a good one.

Very few rumours seem to be around tho with 4 days to go to it opening.

My heart says yes, head says no.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do you think TB will go for a 'top' striker now in January? Is against what we've done before but he's a fan and can see the chances we're creating, just need a 5 years younger Murray to get a few more into the onion sack. I know we need other positions but losing Andone and Locadia has hit the plans for the first half of the season. Tony is not adverse to the odd calculated risk and this could be a good one.

Very few rumours seem to be around tho with 4 days to go to it opening.

My heart says yes, head says no.

Naylor tweeting and writing in The Athletic that we're 'keen to land' a Murray replacement from overseas during the January window. Wouldn't be too worried about specific rumours knowing how quiet we try to keep these things.............my guess is we'll get someone, and it'll be early in he window

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Naylor tweeting and writing in The Athletic that we're 'keen to land' a Murray replacement from overseas during the January window. Wouldn't be too worried about specific rumours knowing how quiet we try to keep these things.............my guess is we'll get someone, and it'll be early in he window

Might be an interesting read if the bloke could string a half decent sentence together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports