Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we be buying anyone in January?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This is absolutely binary IMO - buy/loan a striker in or get relegated. Murray is finished and Maupay can’t play every match. Just having Maupay and Connolly would be a massive risk.

Even if Maupay does avoid injury, and starts in every match, l'm not sure just his goals will be enough anyway. My hope was, that especially now we are playing a more expansive style of football and getting forward more, that more goals would come from elsewhere in the team, Davy Propper for example whose goals per game ratio was higher with his previous clubs, or Jahanbaksh who l thought might be integrated into the team and up to speed by now.

Alas neither has happened, thus far at least.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We need to bring someone in, we didn't last season while others improved and look what happened

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I don't think that anything really meaningful will happen until the summer, I hope l'm wrong though.

I’m pretty sure you are wrong. And I hope you are wrong too. We are effectively down to 2 strikers and that is unacceptable in the Prem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that most realise that GM time is over so a striker is urgently needed but another area causing me concern and I would recall Christian Walton is Ryans inability to save any shots above head height.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think that most realise that GM time is over so a striker is urgently needed but another area causing me concern and I would recall Christian Walton is Ryans inability to save any shots above head height.

Errr... GK not a priority IMHO... RB or RWB?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Wondering whether the striker quality (fee, or whether we aim for a loan) will be determined by the Tau situation, which I can’t work out as time passes whether it’s more likely or less likely we will see him in the premier league

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ryan had a poor game against Sheff Utd but other than that he’s been good, and the stats bear that out too relative to other keepers. He had no chance of stopping either of the Spurs goals or Zaha’s at Palace. Based on what I’ve read Walton is playing like a competent Championship keeper, no more, so would be unlikely to be an upgrade on Ryan (or Button or Steele for that matter) so not sure why recalling him would be necessary ? A striker has to be the priority for January

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Ryan had a poor game against Sheff Utd but other than that he’s been good, and the stats bear that out too relative to other keepers. He had no chance of stopping either of the Spurs goals or Zaha’s at Palace. Based on what I’ve read Walton is playing like a competent Championship keeper, no more, so would be unlikely to be an upgrade on Ryan (or Button or Steele for that matter) so not sure why recalling him would be necessary ? A striker has to be the priority for January

And to be fair to Ryan, he did save Kane’s shot before it rebounded perfectly for him to have another go. More drivel from BG.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I wonder how much a decent striker will cost taking into account what we have spent on Locadia. Janbakhsh and also £20m for Webster a defender.

Not as much as relegation will cost, and with only 2 strikers that work in Potter’s system we’d be taking a huge gamble by not signing one. Cut the losses on Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone, and reinvest in a competent striker.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not as much as relegation will cost, and with only 2 strikers that work in Potter’s system we’d be taking a huge gamble by not signing one. Cut the losses on Jahanbakhsh, Locadia, Andone, and reinvest in a competent striker.

I cannot disagree with that but wonder who is available or likely to be? Time for the Football Manager 2019 fans to come out with suggestions.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I am not talking about the Kane goal but his general play as regards crosses and shots above head height.which he struggles with but with shots on the ground he is superb.

Maybe you can point the club in the direction of a keeper that is a brilliant shot stopper, very good with his feet and dominant in the air? I imagine whoever you’ve scouted would be cheap as top class keepers grow on trees.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We can't cut the losses on Andone or Locadia in January unless the clubs they are loaned to buy them, as players can only play for up to 2 different clubs in a season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here