Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will the Unions bring everyone to their knees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Anyone know how much Mick Lynch gets paid? How much do the RMT have invested in BP and other petro/oil companies (despite their haranguing of them in the media)? How much do they have in their 'strike fund'?

Why? do any of those things matter if they have a genuine grievance, which clearly a very large proportion of their members felt they did!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A lot of people deserve pay rises and yes, rail workers deserve one but the railways need modernising and that would save money. That in turn could mean better rewards for union members but the RMT dictate what happens and it ain’t gonna happen. And yes I am a union member!!

Last year of financial profits for network rail was £1.5Bn pre tax on £9Bn revenue - how much more can be saved to ‘reward’ stuff

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
A lot of people deserve pay rises and yes, rail workers deserve one but the railways need modernising and that would save money. That in turn could mean better rewards for union members but the RMT dictate what happens and it ain’t gonna happen. And yes I am a union member!!

Modernisation would be great, but taking away 46 units and replacing them with… nothing, is not modernisation it’s just cutting costs, flagrantly, and not encouraging people back to services that are already at 80% pre pandemic levels

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thoroughly enjoying Mick Lynch dismantling arguments from Tory lightweights and shit stirring News presenters, with simple, no bullshit straight talking.

[tweet]1539144444997423108[/tweet]

She came out of that looking a bit daft.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Why? do any of those things matter if they have a genuine grievance, which clearly a very large proportion of their members felt they did!

The NR chief exec's pay is being splashed about everywhere in the papers (briefed by RMT), seems fair to scrutinise Micks pay as well, and the fact he has been slagging off oil companies profits while the union has their nose in the trough. But it's 'not about money', right?

The grievance should be with their own union, who block the introduction of new technology and better practice at every opportunity.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What they say and what they think (the RMT and HMG) are not necessarily the same thing. All Hitler wanted was peace in Europe, wan't it?

I should probably stop mocking the RMT. Their PR and presentation are doing a far better job of undermining them than I ever could, and I don't even want to undermine them. I just wish they were.....better at their job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8AHPsyNG_k

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Such as…

He’ll have nothing to say, some genuinely useful technological advancements that are in use in Europe, haven’t been introduced because yes you guessed it. The government can’t be bothered to invest in it through Network Rail.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The NR chief exec's pay is being splashed about everywhere in the papers (briefed by RMT), seems fair to scrutinise Micks pay as well, and the fact he has been slagging off oil companies profits while the union has their nose in the trough. But it's 'not about money', right?

The grievance should be with their own union, who block the introduction of new technology and better practice at every opportunity.

You've been reading the Tory press again, haven't you?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Anyone know how much Mick Lynch gets paid? How much do the RMT have invested in BP and other petro/oil companies (despite their haranguing of them in the media)? Now much do they have in their 'strike fund'?

Clearly quite a hefty fund, it’s reported they’ve doubled their daily strike payment from £35 to £70.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I posted this on the Tory Meltdown thread where it has been discussed but MB didn’t realise.

It seem tracks are going to be checked by drones, but a drone can’t tighten a nut when it’s spotted, so someone still has to physically tighten the nut.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He’ll have nothing to say, some genuinely useful technological advancements that are in use in Europe, haven’t been introduced because yes you guessed it. The government can’t be bothered to invest in it through Network Rail.

Oh I’m fully aware he won’t answer. I’m just finding it’s a terribly useful way of differentiating between people who know what they’re talking about and people who just repeat what they’ve read in the Mail / heard on GB News.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Such as…

The fact NR can't roster individuals for jobs, they have to be in teams, where it can end up with 9 people being rostered to do a job one person can do. Installation of sensors for MSTs which would send readings back to base if they go wrong to prevent the need for bi-annual manual inspections. The inability for teams to cross geographical boundaries or share vans/equipment. Just a few examples. Any change is a straight no from the RMT. If they were less resistant to change, a compromise could be more easily met.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But it's not the same. The UK ended up with very few miners (which made sense as the mines closed). But the UK needs train drivers. So there is no "Thatcher moment".

I was thinking more of legislation against Unions, as Thatcher introduced:

Need to have a ballot before action
Secondary picketing banned
7 days notice of action......

I see Johnson & co wanting to bring in even more legislation to restrict Unions further.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Oh I’m fully aware he won’t answer. I’m just finding it’s a terribly useful way of differentiating between people who know what they’re talking about and people who just repeat what they’ve read in the Mail / heard on GB News.

Unfortunately they are the very people the government are pinning their hopes on!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I should add, before I get 'ooh Tory' thrown at me again, yeah I think the government washing their hands of this is BS, and I don't totally disagree with the decision of the RMT to take this action, but they have to be more flexible in modernising practices for a deal to be reached, and that does not have to mean compulsory redundancies or a compromise on safety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here