Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will the season be halted?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And for anyone here on a salary, I suspect you’re still getting paid the same. You can’t involuntarily reduce someone’s salary. Business owners, self employed have it much tougher sadly.

Everyone in my company that wasn’t furloughed got a 20% pay cut on 1st April, so I’d say you’re wrong in that statement.

Thankfully, the business did better than the bosses thought and I’m back on full pay now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Everyone in my company that wasn’t furloughed got a 20% pay cut on 1st April, so I’d say you’re wrong in that statement.

Thankfully, the business did better than the bosses thought and I’m back on full pay now.

Yes it’s certainly a sweeping statement on both sides....some salary paid obviously have done ‘ok’ and some ranks of the self employed have suffered badly...and the reverse is true

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I know people have voluntarily agreed to have substantial wage cuts to help their companies out too.

You've also got people in seemingly safe positions who have found themselves helping out other people who aren't.

They are also some who have done quite well out it of course. If you are in a safe job, working from home removing the cost of a commute can be quite a pay rise.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think a suspension purely from a health point of view is required but I also think the various football bodies and their TV masters would not want any break in play

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think they should stop the FA cup now and restart the third round as it stands in a years time so teams who’ve gone through the qualifying rounds get their rewards. They may even get some gate receipts! Surely a few games will fall foul to infections. The FA cup is already shit enough (sadly) without the whole competition being played in closed stadiums.

Good call.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Its something thats irritated me long before COVID came on the scene, but in the current circumstances its not just revolting, its dangerous.

Footballers and mucus seem to go together like rhubarb and custard for some reason.

It's always disgusted me too. I've played a lot of football in my life, not at the top level of course (due to a disgraceful lack of scouting in my area :wink:) and I've never felt the need to gob or snot. Occasionally I've paused for a w@nk I admit, but I usually waited for halftime.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How is vaccine stuff going over there? I don’t know if you remember but my wife is a second year resident and getting her second round on Friday. My parents found out today they get their first round of shots tomorrow in Georgia.

BTW, my wife is publishing a paper with a nephrologist from Chester who studied at Kings College in London. I told her to find out which team he supports but she wouldn’t do it, lol.

I think the two most difficult thing she’s learned to do with C19 ICU is convincing family members that DNR is probably the best way to go for coding patients and her first few times putting people are ventilators.

It's going slowly but surely and will take one hell of a long time.

That said, our prime minister is more interested in telling us that we've vaccinated more than the French and the Germans combined. If they overtake us at some point then we'll know because he'll shut the **** up.

Your wife's position sounds hideous and unenviable. Hats off to her.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How is vaccine stuff going over there? I don’t know if you remember but my wife is a second year resident and getting her second round on Friday. My parents found out today they get their first round of shots tomorrow in Georgia.

BTW, my wife is publishing a paper with a nephrologist from Chester who studied at Kings College in London. I told her to find out which team he supports but she wouldn’t do it, lol.

I think the two most difficult thing she’s learned to do with C19 ICU is convincing family members that DNR is probably the best way to go for coding patients and her first few times putting people are ventilators.

Morning, squire. I don't know any individual who has been jabbed yet. There is no sign of any vaccinations taking place at the two medical centres here in Faversham. There is a huge disconnect between the hubris of press conferences here (everything is 'world beating' and 'oven ready') and what's happening on the street. I won't comment further on that as everything has been said....

Tough times for your wife. Ask her if she is aware of Peter A. McCullough. He's a medic in America who has been quite noisy about early Covid intervention. It is a long story and one I don't wish to post on here but I've had some rather odd exchanges with him. In fact....I'll PM you

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Might help if they all stopped gobbing and snotting all over the place every 2 minutes.

Pep Gobbiola is the worst. The dirty b'stard.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's always disgusted me too. I've played a lot of football in my life, not at the top level of course (due to a disgraceful lack of scouting in my area :wink:) and I've never felt the need to gob or snot. Occasionally I've paused for a w@nk I admit, but I usually waited for halftime.

Hated this when I was a referee more than a player having a swear up. I wish we could've booked the players

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I believe all of the 44 non PL clubs will all have to be covid tested this week before they can play?? Certainly all those clubs playing PL clubs have to, so I fear a large number of positive tests which will mean a lot of postponed games. Derby v Chorley already in grave danger.

Will they go down the League Cup route and if a team is unable to field a team due to Covid they are thrown out of the FA Cup and their opponents get a bye, just in a desperate move to get a showcase final.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Morning, squire. I don't know any individual who has been jabbed yet. There is no sign of any vaccinations taking place at the two medical centres here in Faversham. There is a huge disconnect between the hubris of press conferences here (everything is 'world beating' and 'oven ready') and what's happening on the street. I won't comment further on that as everything has been said....

Tough times for your wife. Ask her if she is aware of Peter A. McCullough. He's a medic in America who has been quite noisy about early Covid intervention. It is a long story and one I don't wish to post on here but I've had some rather odd exchanges with him. In fact....I'll PM you

Keeping it local. The hospital on the Isle of Sheppey is doing vaccinations but my 89 year old Mother in Law hasnt been called yet so god knows when they will get round to the rest of us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Keeping it local. The hospital on the Isle of Sheppey is doing vaccinations but my 89 year old Mother in Law hasnt been called yet so god knows when they will get round to the rest of us.

I can live with the wait, but it doesn't map to the recent dithering, Christmas on, then cancelled, me instructed to change the way I teach (at uni) three times in the space of 6 weeks, with there still no firm decision on what happens in the second half of the semester (from March). And the radio presentation today (was it Schapps? Sounded like a weasel) talking like we are engaged in a world-beating victory, with sunny uplands ahead. It's really beginning to get me down, the constant bloody spin, lies and more spin.:down:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I can live with the wait, but it doesn't map to the recent dithering, Christmas on, then cancelled, me instructed to change the way I teach (at uni) three times in the space of 6 weeks, with there still no firm decision on what happens in the second half of the semester (from March). And the radio presentation today (was it Schapps? Sounded like a weasel) talking like we are engaged in a world-beating victory, with sunny uplands ahead. It's really beginning to get me down, the constant bloody spin, lies and more spin.:down:

100% agree with that. Its so depressing. I am lucky enough to have a job where I can work from home but I am crying out to see some other people and just engage with them face to face.

Heard that no where in Sittingbourne has the facility to look after the vaccine that needs to stored at low temperature despite the face that we have a hospital!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
100% agree with that. Its so depressing. I am lucky enough to have a job where I can work from home but I am crying out to see some other people and just engage with them face to face.

Heard that no where in Sittingbourne has the facility to look after the vaccine that needs to stored at low temperature despite the face that we have a hospital!

I had a text today from my GP surgery saying they would contact me when mine becomes due. I think the Oxford vaccine doesn’t require such low storage temperatures meaning your local GP is able to administer. Hopefully that will sort out the logjam in Sittingbourne (aka Ebbsfleet).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Will they go down the League Cup route and if a team is unable to field a team due to Covid they are thrown out of the FA Cup and their opponents get a bye, just in a desperate move to get a showcase final.

I still can’t believe they Put in 3 international breaks before Xmas, purely from a football point of view it was stupid

Those 30 plus days could have fitted in 2/3 rounds of domestic fixtures/early FA cup games to give some wiggle room.

The Euro play offs could have been moved to March.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They have legally drawn up contracts. Quite different to many people.

And for anyone here on a salary, I suspect you’re still getting paid the same. You can’t involuntarily reduce someone’s salary. Business owners, self employed have it much tougher sadly.

No not involuntarily, BUT many companies (including my own) saw the highest paid earners take pay cuts agreed with the company for the good of the company.

For several months the companies had their income drastically reduced. Astonishing this has no resulting action or hardship for the highest paid members of staff.

ps) Note I know Paul Barber and one or two others in the playing staff did this, but none of the players, who are paid even more.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It should but it won't.

Football seems to be a law unto itself (as does the behaviour of a number of players from certain clubs). As much as I freely admit to enjoying it on the tellybox I do find it astonishing that it seems to be treated above almost any other business in society. Sorry, but it's NOT that important in the scheme of things.

If it does get halted there's still plenty to catch up with on Netflix etc so we won't be short of TV entertainment in the short term.

Gutted too, as I've just had notification of concerts in May and June of this year already being rescheduled into 2022!

Agree with all of this. People in the football bubble will naturally come into contact with people outside of the bubble (through kids at school, for one example), so they certainly aren't immune to covid, regardless of how hard they try.

One thing I don't quite get is the link between football and (positive) mental health. If watching football helps in that regard, then surely you could replicate it – to an extent – by showing classic PL/WC/European games for people? Or is it the thrill of the live action unfolding that people benefit from?

I might be wrong, or jumping the gun, but I think sometimes that line is trotted out by a lot of people in and around the game to try and justify it continuing. I'm not saying the individuals here were guilty of that, but there was a great example I heard yesterday on Talkshite of all places. Max Rushden putting the importance/futility of football into the context of a global pandemic and McCoist and Andros Townsend both claimed that it needed to carry on because it helped people with mental health problems. I've no doubt it helps in some way, but I'm not totally convinced it is essential :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here