Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will the season be halted?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I'm still staggered by how players have avoided wage cuts, in an industry where income has fallen through the floor. Wouldn't happen in any other sector, but I guess you could say that for football about a lot of things. Players do not live in the same world we live in sadly.

I'm still struggling with the image of a Lamborghini in Sheffield

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm still staggered by how players have avoided wage cuts, in an industry where income has fallen through the floor. Wouldn't happen in any other sector, but I guess you could say that for football about a lot of things. Players do not live in the same world we live in sadly.

They have legally drawn up contracts. Quite different to many people.

And for anyone here on a salary, I suspect you’re still getting paid the same. You can’t involuntarily reduce someone’s salary. Business owners, self employed have it much tougher sadly.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I don't think it helps that people confuse likelihood of obvious major complications from covid, with carrying and transmitting the disease. Like with school kids, there's been so much made of how little effect having covid will have on them - they're young, fit, they'll recover in no time, if they even display symptoms, that a lot of people seem to think there's no reason for them to be concerned about covid at all.

This is about contracting and transmitting the virus. Like those that don't wish to wear a mask, they're actually risking others not just themselves.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I made my views very clear even when Albion players were talking about deferring wages; it's not about not getting paid this week and getting it in eight weeks or so, when you earn £20-£50k a week, it's almost irrelevant, but most were losing jobs, not being able to buy food, too little, too late.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is about contracting and transmitting the virus. Like those that don't wish to wear a mask, they're actually risking others not just themselves.

I totally agree. But what I mean is so many people focus on how it affects fit young people, it feeds into their arrogance/ignorance, and they forget the impact they would have as carriers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would have thought a suspension is inevitable looking at the data across the uk. If 1 in 50 of us have this thing then a significant number of footballers will.

The Euros will definitely be cancelled I'd have thought. Can't see governments wanting fans traipsing across Europe until 2022.

I’d guess that UEFA will ban non-domestic fans from attending EC games.

Assuming that all seats have been sold already? A lot of refunds.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It should but it won't.

Football seems to be a law unto itself (as does the behaviour of a number of players from certain clubs). As much as I freely admit to enjoying it on the tellybox I do find it astonishing that it seems to be treated above almost any other business in society. Sorry, but it's NOT that important in the scheme of things.

If it does get halted there's still plenty to catch up with on Netflix etc so we won't be short of TV entertainment in the short term.

Gutted too, as I've just had notification of concerts in May and June of this year already being rescheduled into 2022!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I certainly think the Europa league and Champions League should be halted. The idea of players going to and from foreign places, and possibly moving new strains around the continent, doesn’t sit well with me. I’d also halt the EPL.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Yeah but they have short careers remember [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Football will carry on.

I'd happily delay my vaccination a few weeks so the players get a shot. I can hunker down.

If there is a hiatus it needs to be brief, and brought in now, as the next 6 weeks will be Covid peak.

Any shithousery will see the season cancelled, since overrun is not feasible, given the late start to 2020-21.

Let's hope the clubs/EPL/FA make the choice rather than wait for political leadership, if you remember what that was :mad:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
https://www.eurosport.com/football/...-premier-league-season_sto8049386/story.shtml

Argues that FA cup may have to be a casualty. Only 3 spare dates apparently.

I seem to recall that 29 games had to be played before PPG comes into play; surely will get to that but 38 may be a stretch. Can foresee almighty rows and get fat lawyers if we get over 29 but cannot complete 38.

That article seems to suggest nothing has been agreed in advance for what happens in the event of a curtailment. Which seems a bit bonkers. The logical thing would be to cancel the FA Cup now. But they won’t do it and will end up having to do something worse later down the line. Much like the Government approach in fact.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I certainly think the Europa league and Champions League should be halted. The idea of players going to and from foreign places, and possibly moving new strains around the continent, doesn’t sit well with me. I’d also halt the EPL.

Think they should stop the FA cup now and restart the third round as it stands in a years time so teams who’ve gone through the qualifying rounds get their rewards. They may even get some gate receipts! Surely a few games will fall foul to infections. The FA cup is already shit enough (sadly) without the whole competition being played in closed stadiums.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I would have thought a suspension is inevitable looking at the data across the uk. If 1 in 50 of us have this thing then a significant number of footballers will.

The Euros will definitely be cancelled I'd have thought. Can't see governments wanting fans traipsing across Europe until 2022.

Football should be suspended and the Euros should be cancelled along with the Olympics, but there's money involved in all of these so profit comes before people's lives.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Think they should stop the FA cup now and restart the third round as it stands in a years time so teams who’ve gone through the qualifying rounds get their rewards. They may even get some gate receipts! Surely a few games will fall foul to infections. The FA cup is already shit enough (sadly) without the whole competition being played in closed stadiums.

I believe all of the 44 non PL clubs will all have to be covid tested this week before they can play?? Certainly all those clubs playing PL clubs have to, so I fear a large number of positive tests which will mean a lot of postponed games. Derby v Chorley already in grave danger.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Football will carry on.

I'd happily delay my vaccination a few weeks so the players get a shot. I can hunker down.

If there is a hiatus it needs to be brief, and brought in now, as the next 6 weeks will be Covid peak.

Any shithousery will see the season cancelled, since overrun is not feasible, given the late start to 2020-21.

Let's hope the clubs/EPL/FA make the choice rather than wait for political leadership, if you remember what that was :mad:

How is vaccine stuff going over there? I don’t know if you remember but my wife is a second year resident and getting her second round on Friday. My parents found out today they get their first round of shots tomorrow in Georgia.

BTW, my wife is publishing a paper with a nephrologist from Chester who studied at Kings College in London. I told her to find out which team he supports but she wouldn’t do it, lol.

I think the two most difficult thing she’s learned to do with C19 ICU is convincing family members that DNR is probably the best way to go for coding patients and her first few times putting people are ventilators.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here