Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Potter succeed at Chelsea?

Will Potter succeed at Chelsea?

• Yes, they will be challenging for PL/CL

Votes: 54 28.4%
  • Sacked within a year

Votes: 92 48.4%
  • Sacked after initial success.

Votes: 44 23.2%

• Total voters

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Its taken him three years to get us to where we are. Chelsea won't put up with three years of team building.

That has included some very dodgy periods where we couldn't score for love nor money. Feb this year springs to mind.

I just don't see him getting that instant success at Chelsea. Unlike the other big clubs who've gone through managers, Chelsea have been pretty successful and its only taken a very short term poor run of form for them to push the button

It will be a slow burn with him and remember he hasn't actually won anything in England or managed a big club before. Lots of Billy Big Bollocks players there too.

Gone in a year.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Now I have read "His assistant Billy Reid, first-team coaches Bjorn Hamberg and Bruno, goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts and assistant head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay will join him at the Chelsea, who have paid Brighton in excess of £21m in compensation."

I hope he fails !

Bruno more loyal to GP than the club?

Unbelievable!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Now I have read "His assistant Billy Reid, first-team coaches Bjorn Hamberg and Bruno, goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts and assistant head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay will join him at the Chelsea, who have paid Brighton in excess of £21m in compensation."

I hope he fails !

Unbelievable!

More loyal to winning things than to any colleague or club, I imagine.

Most are like that. I don't think one single Brighton player would turn down the chance to compete for trophies... and thats even before you get to the money.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Having taken Bruno Ben Roberts and our deputy recruitment head I now feel somewhat bitter

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
More loyal to winning things than to any colleague or club, I imagine.

Most are like that. I don't think one single Brighton player would turn down the chance to compete for trophies... and thats even before you get to the money.

I am sure Édouard Mendy will welcome tips from Ben Roberts. (First words will be who the F**k is he? and What the F**k has he done?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am sure Édouard Mendy will welcome tips from Ben Roberts. (First words will be who the F**k is he? and What the F**k has he done?

He’s already rejected a contract recently

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I hope he fails !

Unbelievable!

He has left us like the Pied Piper with a trail of loved ones following behind. I wonder how many more staff wanted to go but were left behind?

We all love Bruno but I’m pretty sure Roberts is seen as potentially the best goal keeping coach in the Country.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He has left us like the Pied Piper with a trail of loved ones following behind. I wonder how many more staff wanted to go but were left behind?

We all loved Bruno but I’m pretty sure Roberts is seen as potentially the best goal keeping coach in the Country.

Corrected from my point of view.
To think we were talking about him taking over short term!

He'll do better than Fat Frank but not sure that will be quite enough. May replace Lampard at Everton tho so not too bad

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I'm sure I'm correct in saying that GB has never beaten Fulham. This Saturday will be interesting

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No option for sacked after 2 years but that would be my guess.
Expectations are so high at these entitled clubs and if no PL or CL in 2 years he's gone. 3 years wages maybe? Made for life.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Since 2007, no Chelsea manager has survived for 3 years. The new American owner does not seem any less trigger happy than Roman's regime before. I don't see this lasting long for Potter, who has taken a big gamble to give up a long contract at Brighton to go to the most volatile and insecure club of all for a manager.

Point of order. The new owner there has had some bloke in charge of some American team in some American sport for nearly ten years, and extended his contract. Apparently that is not the norm in that sport.

Despite what nearly every non Chelski fan thinks of the club, and quite frankly there's not a club I hate more than then at the moment, the evidence would suggest this new owner may well be serious about giving time to a manager.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Point of order. The new owner there has had some bloke in charge of some American team in some American sport for nearly ten years, and extended his contract. Apparently that is not the norm in that sport.

Despite what nearly every non Chelski fan thinks of the club, and quite frankly there's not a club I hate more than then at the moment, the evidence would suggest this new owner may well be serious about giving time to a manager.

Then why was Tuchel not given time? They’ve just made a load of new signings and things are taking time to fit together.

Chelsea’s turn over if managers over the years has been quite frankly a joke.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Then why was Tuchel not given time? They’ve just made a load of new signings and things are taking time to fit together.

Chelsea’s turn over if managers over the years has been quite frankly a joke.

None of those signings were Tuchel's apparently. He doesn't like to get involved in recruitment.

New owner wanted his own team in.

Also, it's easy to see why Tuchel would fall out of favour rather rapidly. He's an odious individual in football it seems and falls out with nearly every club he goes to.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Boehly owns the LA Dodgers, who have had the same manager in place now since 2016 (with some success, but not year in year out), so this does not point towards a 'hire-em-fire-em' philosophy.

Its an odd one though. I get that any new owner will likely want their own choice in the dugout rather than the one they inherited (as we saw ourselves with Salde when TB took over). But that being the case, why spunk a quarter of a billion on the squad in the summer, only to bin the manager 6 games into the season ? Going by that, Boehly certainly doesn't sound like a bloke with much of a plan in place. No doubt he knows his baseball, but he appears to be winging it over here.

I can understand Potter being seduced by 'the challenge', and no doubt he'll now earn more money than he could ever spend in his lifetime. But if he's still there by Christmas 2023, I'll eat my own elbows.

Been widely mooted the fallout with Boehly and Tuchel was because Boehly was desperate to buy Ronaldo and Tuchel categorically said No, now Boehly doesnt want a manager, he wants a head coach only..... can see the attaction for GP, CV/bags of cash.... but lets see how it works out when Boehly starts picking the players hes going to buy for his compliant yes man.

Expect Ronaldo in January.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The irony of all this, if that’s the right word, is all 3 Chelsea fans I’ve worked with today don’t even want him. Proper football supporters, not bandwagon-jumpers. They were right behind Tuchel and just don’t get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here