Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Potter succeed at Chelsea?

Will Potter succeed at Chelsea?

• Yes, they will be challenging for PL/CL

Votes: 54 28.4%
  • Sacked within a year

Votes: 92 48.4%
  • Sacked after initial success.

Votes: 44 23.2%

• Total voters

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We don’t know anything though, Chelsea is a much different job to any he’s ever had before.

And Chelsea don’t give managers time, that’s why I didn’t put that in the poll.

I know from watching his football the last three years that he can succeed at Chelsea. There are, of course, question marks.

He's never managed 'big' players
He's now going to have to contend with a much more rabid fan base
He's going to be thrown even further into a brighter glare of media coverage
And, yeah, historically Chelsea have been quick to wield the axe.

That last one is the biggest question mark. But Boehly isn't Abramovic. I heard on the radio that the manager of the Dodgers, whom Boehly also co-owns, has been there for 7 years or something. It could well be that Boehly's Chelsea is different.

But if it is, and Potter is given the time he needs to get his ideas across, he will do well there.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I know from watching his football the last three years that he can succeed at Chelsea. There are, of course, question marks.

He's never managed 'big' players
He's now going to have to contend with a much more rabid fan base
He's going to be thrown even further into a brighter glare of media coverage
And, yeah, historically Chelsea have been quick to wield the axe.

That last one is the biggest question mark. But Boehly isn't Abramovic. I heard on the radio that the manager of the Dodgers, whom Boehly also co-owns, has been there for 7 years or something. It could well be that Boehly's Chelsea is different.

But if it is, and Potter is given the time he needs to get his ideas across, he will do well there.

Boehly may well be different, but the fans remain the same. If they lose a string of games their entitled mobs will assemble and demand action.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Boehly may well be different, but the fans remain the same. If they lose a string of games their entitled mobs will assemble and demand action.

Sacked within a year. He may earn 3 years Albion pay in 1 Chelsea year but he'll be jobless imho.

And when he said its not about money, fool me for believing.

No loyalty in football, its all dog eat dog. Whatever they say publicly they're all off with a flash of skirt.

Stepping stones R US

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I fear the 'now' mentality of the so called big clubs mean he will be yet another bednotch on the managerial merry-go-round.

That said, it will be a financial masterstroke which sets him and his family up for life.

Is the correct answer! Aside from the big club mentality it's a job role I think he is seriously unproved in. With us he's a project manager with superb knowledgeable support from his superiors and a set of playing staff he can control easily. By going to Chelsea he almost becomes a manager of the talent who by definition, status and salary can directly or via agents exert undue pressure on a naive American owner who will wish to play to the gallery which is their fan base. In turn that fan base or customer wants instant results and has a sense entitlement. Forget the 5 year contract if it goes pear shaped they can afford a handsome pay off. Sadly Potter will know that hence financially he feels he cannot lose.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How is that different from any other club?

With Chelsea fans attending matches and who've followed the side for years, there's not much difference. But when it comes to big clubs with a global fanbase, it's a whole lot different to the likes of the Albion.

We've seen a temporary influx of supporters from various countries on social media when we've signed a player from that country (Iran and South Africa spring to mind), but they invariably go when the player leaves. Our fanbase is primarily around Sussex. Even the expats amongst us have a close affinity with the area - I grew up 2 roads away from the Goldstone, was a ballboy and played in the Junior Seagulls 5-a-side.

The big club entitled mobs are now assembling online from Doha to New Delhi. Many are new supporters who follow the glory and haven't got an appreciation of building over time, promotion/relegation battles over years, etc. They don't go through thick and thin (or thin and thinner as in the Albion's past), but change allegiance from side to side, dependent on success at the time. I know - I've seen it first hand in the Middle East for over 16 years. Leicester shirt one year, Liverpool the next, City the one after that...

Yes, the Albion faithful might boo a bad performance at the Amex having paid good money to watch it firsthand and comparing it to decades of previous Albion games watched in the stadium. However, that's a world away from the unrealistic expectations of new fans of big clubs around the world who'll watch it on a TV screen thousands of miles away, vent on Twitter immediately and veer from ecstasy to devastation from game to game without a sense of proportion of somewhere in between.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Boehly owns the LA Dodgers, who have had the same manager in place now since 2016 (with some success, but not year in year out), so this does not point towards a 'hire-em-fire-em' philosophy.

Its an odd one though. I get that any new owner will likely want their own choice in the dugout rather than the one they inherited (as we saw ourselves with Salde when TB took over). But that being the case, why spunk a quarter of a billion on the squad in the summer, only to bin the manager 6 games into the season ? Going by that, Boehly certainly doesn't sound like a bloke with much of a plan in place. No doubt he knows his baseball, but he appears to be winging it over here.

I can understand Potter being seduced by 'the challenge', and no doubt he'll now earn more money than he could ever spend in his lifetime. But if he's still there by Christmas 2023, I'll eat my own elbows.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Err .......... When we went on that losing streak last year a fair portion our admittedly smaller mob were calling for his head. With the full backing of the owner and CEO Potter stood fast.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I thought you knew about football? The pressure at the fabled ‘big 6’ is absurd, Man Utd fans were questioning Ten Hag after 2 games, Liverpool fans on the radio calling for Klopp’s head, Chelsea fans wanted Tuchel out 14 months removed from winning the Champions League. That’s not normal and isn’t sustainable.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought you knew about football? The pressure at the fabled ‘big 6’ is absurd, Man Utd fans were questioning TenHaag after 2 games, Liverpool fans on the radio calling for Klopps head, Chelsea fans wanted Tuchel’s out 14 months removed from winning the Champions League. That’s not normal and isn’t sustainable.

It took one month into the first season on this forum before the first Potter out thread was posted. :shrug:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I hope he fails. Not because I have anything against Potter, I just want to see Chelsea implode.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
He will make Chelsea the new Man City and him as the new Pep. He is more than capable of conquering the football world with a decent budget.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I fear the 'now' mentality of the so called big clubs mean he will be yet another bednotch on the managerial merry-go-round.

That said, it will be a financial masterstroke which sets him and his family up for life.

Do you not think he would be 'set up for life' only on his earnings from 5 years with us, had he stayed? That's without factoring in the many more millions he would be very likely to earn in the future, even if he hadn't been turned by Chelsea?
Just how much do people think one needs to be set up for life - genuine question?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here