• Offer him a contract

Votes: 44 74.6%
  • Bin the sicknote

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
has potential so long term level should have a chance to prove himself but sadly he looks to be one of those 'unlucky' players who get injured through no fault of their own so from a business viewpoint probably easier to release and bring someone else in.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I won't be crying if he does leave but it'd be nice if we could give him a chance in pre-season and if he looks like he can still contribute positively, offer a short-term contract. If he doesn't want it, fair enough.

I can't see him ever being anything more than fourth choice striker next season if he does stay on though, behind Ulloa, Barnes and one other.

Doubt he would get a contract from a decent Championship club if we let him go, would probably have to drop down to a promotion-chasing League One side.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Offer him a ridiculously low contract mainly incentives, but predict that he won't sign. Decent player but too injury prone. Can do better unless he comes very cheap

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Some players have a run of bad luck at a club and need a change of scenery to re-start a career. Hoskins is in this category.

Either we will go up this season and need to sign better players.

Or

We won't go up this season and need to sign better players.

Either way I think Hoskins will be down the pecking order and would be better for all if he was looking for another club. I do think he could do a decent job at a top league 1 or lower championship club, but I don't think he is going to get us (or anyone else), to the Premier League and that is the sort of players we should be after.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hoskins is a good player. Works hard when he plays, good at link up play and was getting into sone great positions against Forrest. Would be useful rotation player. It baffles me that people complain about Gus' tinkering then say players are no good when they are never given a run of games. How you can build form when you're playing week and then dont get a game for 2?Hypocrisy at its highest.

- - - Updated - - -

Hoskins is a good player. Works hard when he plays, good at link up play and was getting into sone great positions against Forrest. Would be useful rotation player. It baffles me that people complain about Gus' tinkering then say players are no good when they are never given a run of games. How you can build form when you're playing week and then dont get a game for 2?Hypocrisy at its highest.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Offer him a deal. All he needs is one strong season to recoup the money we spent on him. He's a talented young footballer and I think he'll do very well when he get some games without injury.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that we have a duty to offer him a 6 months extension to his contract to allow him time to recover and show that he has and has the ability to play for us if not he can then move on.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
I rate him as a player, give him another year extension. This might be the only way we'd have kept him beyond this season as I think he'd be off on a free otherwise with no shortage of takers

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think a six month contract extension would be fair. Time to prove himself to us or any potential suitor when fit again but also would make him feel a little better during his recuperation knwoing he has employment and a light at the end of the tunnel. If I remember rightly didn't he struggle quite a lot when he had his last serious injury, just releasing him might have quite a bad effect on his mental state.

It's been a real pity though as he is a talented player and could have been a big player for us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Bin him, regardless of his injuries, he just isn't good enough.

Why do you think he's good enough out of interest?

Not a single outstanding performance and hardly any goals.

Didn't do much in the league below during his spell at Sheff Utd either.

Some strange comments there. The guy has never been fit enough to get a run in the team which is extremely unlucky. Regarding his loan to Sheff Utd, wasn't he returning from injury and battling depression? I think it would be more fair to look at when he was fully fit at Bristol Rovers and scored 18 league goals for a side that got relegated.

Dec 29, 2011
Why the f*** would he want to sign a new contract with us?! We've effectively ruined his career, he must cringe every time CMS trips over his own feet yet still gets in the starting line-up ahead of Hoskins.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It all comes down to what happens at the end of the season and where we finish in the table. I think Gus has to be ruthless and only offer him 6 months to prove himself , if he does alright then an extension until the end of June.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Some strange comments there. The guy has never been fit enough to get a run in the team which is extremely unlucky. Regarding his loan to Sheff Utd, wasn't he returning from injury and battling depression? I think it would be more fair to look at when he was fully fit at Bristol Rovers and scored 18 league goals for a side that got relegated.

But Bristol Rovers seems to have been the exception and not the norm:

Rotherham:
Hoskins had an excellent 2006–07 pre-season alongside his new strike partner Delroy Facey, notably scoring twice against Scottish Cup finalists Gretna. However, he suffered a slight injury before the first match of the season and Dave Hibbert had to step up to take his place.

Forest:
He endured a frustrating spell on the sidelines with a troublesome back injury, and with Brett Ormerod joining from Preston North End, Hoskins returned to Watford.

Bristol R:
On 6 November 2010 during an FA Cup first round tie against Darlington, he suffered a sprained ankle injury, ruling him out for around four weeks.

The guy has been paid well in the last two years and spent most of it on the treatment table. I would rather his wages were spent on Van Dijk, or Upson etc..rather than hoping he can stay fit with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here