Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Greer be dropped for Tuesday?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would quite like to see Dunk playing alongside Upson for the majority of the remaining games. It can only benefit Dunk's progression to be playing alongside Upson - might as well use his experience while we have it.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
If Greer plays in the next match, then my faith in Oscar and Jones will be lost. Greer was dreadful all game, and the two mistakes compounded my belief that he is being carried by Upson, game and game again. Dunk deserves the other Centre Back position on merit, over the ageing Scot. As for Bruno I would always prefer Calde over him. Bruno always look over confident on the ball and makes too many mistakes for his position.

Back four of Calde, Dunk, Upson and Ward for me. We have nothing to lose now, the aim should be for the highest position we can possibly reach, not finishing the season on a whimper.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Greer?! Bruno, a.k.a. best mates with OG, puts more pressure on Greer than the opposition simply by vacating the right back position for most of the game! And when bruno'clock (60 mins) arrives when know its gonna be tough there in. Bruno has needed to put in shift in all season, one or two moments of good during a game isn't enough.
That said Dunk earned the right to start after recent performances and at least Calde gives 5hit!

Bruno has been one of our most important players in the last couple of months (basically since he got over his injury). Of course he is going to be out of position sometimes, as he is obviously being asked to bomb on at every opportunity as he is one of the few players that offers any threat going forward. Why else do you think we play with both Andrews and Ince, it's meant to be their job to cover when he does go up.

Fair enough he made an error against Wednesday, but I genuinely don't understand how you can say he has "one or two good moments" in recent games.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Greer is a better penalty box defender than Dunk. However he gets caught out too easily when drawn out to the wing or forward. I guess it depends when the management feel our defence is likely to be. If we are going to spend the time defending deep Greer stays. If we are going to push on, dominate, create and score it needs to be Dunk.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not sure I get the Calderon support either. If he is a better defender now it is by the slimmest of margins, I just get a feeling people are comparing the Calderon of 2 or 3 years ago to Bruno. I love the guy but he has looked out of his depth more often than not this season.

How anyone can claim Calderon is a better attacking option than Bruno is beyond me?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bruno has been one of our most important players in the last couple of months (basically since he got over his injury). Of course he is going to be out of position sometimes, as he is obviously being asked to bomb on at every opportunity as he is one of the few players that offers any threat going forward. Why else do you think we play with both Andrews and Ince, it's meant to be their job to cover when he does go up.

Fair enough he made an error against Wednesday, but I genuinely don't understand how you can say he has "one or two good moments" in recent games.

He's quality. Loves his football, always expressive and creative on the pitch, full of energy, and always gives his all. Yes, he can get caught occasionally, but I'll take that for what he adds in attack.

Last edited:

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
He's quality. Loves his football, always expressive and creative on the pitch, full of energy, and always gives his all. Yes, he can get caught occasionally, but I'll take that for what he adds in attack.

100% this.

I'm not getting this Greer clamour either. Yes - he's made a few errors. Yes, it cost us on a couple of ocassions but at the same time we still have one of the tightest defences in the league. It's well marshalled (IMO) by 2 steady experienced players in him and Upson. Greer just got called up to his national side (ok...I know it is Scotland) off the back of his performances less than 6 months ago. One doesn't suddenly become shite overnight. Arguably Bruno was out of position and Greer covering when he lost the ball on Saturday - but....without Wardy and Bruno going on - we looked damn toothless in midfield.

On the ball he is way better than the likes of Elphick or El Abd. As much as I liked Adam - it was always heart in mouth for me whenever he was on the ball or heading towards an opponent. I think people tend to forget how far we have come in just a few years. I'm not nostalgic, and believe that we shouldn't keep someone in the team if they are showing constant poor form....and granted, he may not be quite as good this season as in prior seasons (but find me a player that is, this year?). There should be competition and Dunk should get a run out if OG believes that is the better option.

What I do hate though are the people that boo him - one geezer behind me even boos him on the team sheet. And almost ejeculated on the guy in front of him when he was sent off the other week. Whatever your thoughts are....just get behind the players on the pitch.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Not me. He is a LIABILITY at the back. Primary job is to DEFEND. Play him on the wing then Oscar as he is your mate.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What I do hate though are the people that boo him - one geezer behind me even boos him on the team sheet.

I noticed booing of GG pre game for the first time on Saturday. I couldn't get my head round it.

Booing your own players should be a last resort for the kind of situation that Wolves found themselves in when they visited at the tail end of last year (i.e players not trying.) Not because our club captain and stalwart of 4 successful seasons has a had a couple of poor games in an otherwise excellent season.

There's a section of fans (and every club has them) that I guessing as a result of not being influential elsewhere in their lives HAVE to feel like they are exerting an influence on their football team. The irony being that nine times out of ten, the influence they exert is a counter-productive, negative one.

However, the silent majority do ourselves no favours. Drown these moaners out with singing. That's what we should have done when Greer made the first mistake and we went 1-0 down rather than sit on our hands.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
100% this.

I'm not getting this Greer clamour either. Yes - he's made a few errors. Yes, it cost us on a couple of ocassions but at the same time we still have one of the tightest defences in the league. It's well marshalled (IMO) by 2 steady experienced players in him and Upson. Greer just got called up to his national side (ok...I know it is Scotland) off the back of his performances less than 6 months ago. One doesn't suddenly become shite overnight. Arguably Bruno was out of position and Greer covering when he lost the ball on Saturday - but....without Wardy and Bruno going on - we looked damn toothless in midfield.

On the ball he is way better than the likes of Elphick or El Abd. As much as I liked Adam - it was always heart in mouth for me whenever he was on the ball or heading towards an opponent. I think people tend to forget how far we have come in just a few years. I'm not nostalgic, and believe that we shouldn't keep someone in the team if they are showing constant poor form....and granted, he may not be quite as good this season as in prior seasons (but find me a player that is, this year?). There should be competition and Dunk should get a run out if OG believes that is the better option.

What I do hate though are the people that boo him - one geezer behind me even boos him on the team sheet. And almost ejeculated on the guy in front of him when he was sent off the other week. Whatever your thoughts are....just get behind the players on the pitch.

My post was about Bruno. I don't mind Greer, but not sure I'd ever describe him as 'expressive' or 'creative". :lolol:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Greer?! Bruno, a.k.a. best mates with OG, puts more pressure on Greer than the opposition simply by vacating the right back position for most of the game! And when bruno'clock (60 mins) arrives when know its gonna be tough there in. Bruno has needed to put in shift in all season, one or two moments of good during a game isn't enough.
That said Dunk earned the right to start after recent performances and at least Calde gives 5hit!

This post is correct in every respect.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If Greer deserves to be dropped then so does Ulloa as he had a poor game as well and his mistake cost us the chance to pull level.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure how the second goal is Greer's fault as he appeared to be left with three attackers and blocked the cross

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Total lack of respect for Greer shown by many on this thread. The guy's barely put a foot wrong for years, yet he makes a few errors near the end of a long season and all of a sudden "he's been crap all season", "he's a liability" etc etc.

It would appear the days of him playing every game and delivering high quality week in, week out are over, but this is just Father Time catching up with a player, it doesn't mean he's gone completely. We tried to sign Van Dijk over a year ago, so we've known for some time we need a younger, fitter centre-half. I hope we sign one in the summer but I still think there's a role for Greer here next season if he wants it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With all due respect to Lewis Dunk, he's not in the same calibre as Virgil Van Dijk.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Total lack of respect for Greer shown by many on this thread. The guy's barely put a foot wrong for years, yet he makes a few errors near the end of a long season and all of a sudden "he's been crap all season", "he's a liability" etc etc.

It would appear the days of him playing every game and delivering high quality week in, week out are over, but this is just Father Time catching up with a player, it doesn't mean he's gone completely. We tried to sign Van Dijk over a year ago, so we've known for some time we need a younger, fitter centre-half. I hope we sign one in the summer but I still think there's a role for Greer here next season if he wants it.

Spot on. "Crap all season"? FFS.

He is central to a defence that was the meanest in the league two weeks ago. If we're going to finger point, how about pointing at Ulloa who really has been utter gash since returning from injury, with a few tap-ins papering over the blatant cracks, such as having the touch of a blind rapist and showing Ashley Neal levels of pace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here