Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
F1D89BCF-BB98-434A-94F7-D17436AAD336.png

And there’s more.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So, so shortsighted from Johnson.

If he had fired Cummings immediately, he would've gotten a big boost of popularity from both his party and the wider country - a leader being bold and strong, doing the right thing by the people. The people and the press would've moved on much more quickly, and the focus would be on the further easing of lockdown on 1st June.

He has completely invited the coming shitstorm on himself.

He didn't even have to fire him to be honest. Johnson could have come out, said what Cummings did was absolutely wrong, that Johnson took out very seriously, slapped him down vigorously, said he was being given an official warning in his job and removed from the Sage committee. Or something similar. It would have shown that Johnson was in charge and I think the public would accept that on the whole. Calls to fire Cummings would continue but they wouldn't have the same vigour.

Instead this defence of him is pathetic, has occupied the entire cabinet and undermined all messaging. Fools.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
View attachment 124134

Well, this is getting a lot worse.

The story was different yesterday though. Boris wasn't planned to do the press conference and then knowing all the questions were going to be about Cummings they stood them down so they weren't asked questions.

I'd be very very surprised these two senior scientists would refuse to appear and would have handled the questions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They really should be careful about denying Police contacts. If it happened it will be logged.

The Government has already accused the Police of lying, and blamed the Press. They seem to be really spoiling for a fight.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m now of the opinion; Don’t resign and don’t sack him. Let them complete their mistake.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He didn't even have to fire him to be honest. Johnson could have come out, said what Cummings did was absolutely wrong, that Johnson took out very seriously, slapped him down vigorously, said he was being given an official warning in his job and removed from the Sage committee. Or something similar. It would have shown that Johnson was in charge and I think the public would accept that on the whole. Calls to fire Cummings would continue but they wouldn't have the same vigour.

Instead this defence of him is pathetic, has occupied the entire cabinet and undermined all messaging. Fools.

This.

The thing is, for decent people, it is not immediately obvious how indecent shits reach the ludicrous decisions they reach. Our minds are not tuned to theirs.

I had a mad family a few doors down, 20 years ago. The 14 year old accidentally broke the 4 year old's toy. The mother's solution was not to introduce moderate sanctions and recompense, it was to invite the 4 year old to break something of the 14 year old's. FFS.

Bad money management and some other 'hilarious' missjudgements saw them out of the premises fairly soon after. TFFT.

If you have a frame of reference outside the norm, at some point, the norm may bite your arse. Boris seems to be outside most of our norms. Elevated by charm and chutzpa. I have to say that, aside from the benefit to us all, I'd love it, just as a bit of abstract modern dance, to see him drop swiftly out the arse hole of history's darkest dreaming.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m now of the opinion; Don’t resign and don’t sack him. Let them complete their mistake.

You mean for the benefit of the electorate in 4.5 years (or sooner)?

I don't think the country could take it. I'd rather have a tory coup and a moderate tory in next week, myself.

Apologies if I misunderstand.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
View attachment 124135

Not enough evidence.

Yet.

I think part of me seeing all these appear via twitter, rather than being reported following investigation by journalists, are these a tactic to muddy the waters? Someone on Dom's side make spurious claims that will be picked up and spread and then revealed to be false, giving them and their supporters a chance to say 'can we even trust the reports he went there?' - I know there has been varying degrees of confessions, but there's also been stories changed, and editing of months old blogs, and people who want to support Cummings or Johnson will cling to it if they can.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The story was different yesterday though. Boris wasn't planned to do the press conference and then knowing all the questions were going to be about Cummings they stood them down so they weren't asked questions.

I'd be very very surprised these two senior scientists would refuse to appear and would have handled the questions.

Makes you wonder if this was the cause of the 35 minute delay before Cummings spoke.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think part of me seeing all these appear via twitter, rather than being reported following investigation by journalists, are these a tactic to muddy the waters? Someone on Dom's side make spurious claims that will be picked up and spread and then revealed to be false, giving them and their supporters a chance to say 'can we even trust the reports he went there?' - I know there has been varying degrees of confessions, but there's also been stories changed, and editing of months old blogs, and people who want to support Cummings or Johnson will cling to it if they can.

Twitter is 99% bullshit obviously, but 1% has been intriguing. The sightings were being rumoured on there for months as was a post from someone claimed to see Cummings in a hospital in the NE with his son.

I nearly spat my wine out when he revealed in his statement it was true.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You mean for the benefit of the electorate in 4.5 years (or sooner)?

I don't think the country could take it. I'd rather have a tory coup and a moderate tory in next week, myself.

Apologies if I misunderstand.

I was vague. I mean, let them keep digging. If they accuse the police of lying too many times, they’ll Get hammered. If they insist in lying themselves there will likely be some form of civil unrest.

They won’t get away with it. Let them try and follow this through. It’s to their own detriment .

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
So, so shortsighted from Johnson.

If he had fired Cummings immediately, he would've gotten a big boost of popularity from both his party and the wider country - a leader being bold and strong, doing the right thing by the people. The people and the press would've moved on much more quickly, and the focus would be on the further easing of lockdown on 1st June.

He has completely invited the coming shitstorm on himself.

Shore patrol at Portland was a piece of broom handle about 12 inches long. Nothing more intimidating than a pussers shore patrol[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports