Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Buckley

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Which if he does and keeps us in the PL then that is worth much more than his token transfer fee and also cover his wages for the rest of his playing career in the money the team will get compared to been relegated

I think you missed the sentiment of my post. I hope that 1 season ends in relegation for you, for him and your club. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear on that.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He lost the heart to play here and for that reason i am glad he has gone. Should have sat down with Calderon and learnt what its like to put 100% in to the club and the fans that pay your wages

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why because I am not always 100% positive about Brighton. They are my local club now and I want to see them do well although I can be more objective than a fan. Good to see Gus give Buckley big praise there - his biggest positive of the match he says

Possibly because he hopes that by talking up his new signing, people will forget the money he wasted getting Bridcutt to keep the bench warm.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Played like he did last season. I thought he did OK.

Scared Man United though and he was not even up to full speed.

On his CV. Got a fouled by Wayne Rooney. Fourth time he was fouled, sixth time fouled whilst playing for Sunderland.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Except he didn't say he didn't try. Quite the opposite. He said he did try, but found it difficult because the interest from sunderland/opportunity to play in the premier was in the back of his mind.

Entirely reasonable.

It's just there are some overly sensitive Brighton fans has interpreted this as "I totally did them over, took all their money and did my best to never touch the ball ever again. Suckers. Mwuah hahahahah!!!" (And some fans who probably didn't even bother to read what he said for themselves and have just taken other people's silly reaction as somehow appropriate.

If the club were stupid enough to try to sue him, they would be laughed out of court.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...nderland_s_interest_distracted_him_at_Albion/

Sami Hyypia certainly didn't think that the effort Will Buckley put in this season (and pre-season) was acceptable, and given that he is in the best position to judge, I'm willing to take his word for it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sami Hyypia certainly didn't think that the effort Will Buckley put in this season (and pre-season) was acceptable, and given that he is in the best position to judge, I'm willing to take his word for it.

It's not about whether we got the best of Buckley after the deal to sunderland almost went through. It's about a) whether it was a conscious decision from him, and b) whether buckley has been so disrespectful to the club by coming out and admitting he didn't bother trying to try.

Whether Hyypia liked his effort or not is irrelevant to either point.

People are angry at Buckley for something he never actually said.

Buckley did not confess to not trying. He says he did try, but admits the potential move was probably at the back of his head, intimating that if there was a lack of application it wasn't something he deliberately set out to do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's not about whether we got the best of Buckley after the deal to sunderland almost went through. It's about a) whether it was a conscious decision from him, and b) whether buckley has been so disrespectful to the club by coming out and admitting he didn't bother trying to try.

Whether Hyypia liked his effort or not is irrelevant to either point.

People are angry at Buckley for something he never actually said.

Buckley did not confess to not trying. He says he did try, but admits the potential move was probably at the back of his head, intimating that if there was a lack of application it wasn't something he deliberately set out to do.

Players can often get themselves up for games a day or so after a close relative dies yet you accept that Buckley couldn't apply himself properly over a few months because of his frame of mind. Much the same as Bridcutt. You are more sympathetic than me because I think it's a lack of character and very childish, a sulk basically. I watched most of Buckley's cameos after January, he generally didn't appear to be trying very hard. I put it down to fear of injury but having watched him yesterday I'd say it was lack of effort.

Maybe you can explain how Barnes managed to show the character to keep trying right up to the game before he left after Burnley tried to buy him last summer?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Players can often get themselves up for games a day or so after a close relative dies yet you accept that Buckley couldn't apply himself properly over a few months because of his frame of mind. Much the same as Bridcutt. You are more sympathetic than me because I think it's a lack of character and very childish, a sulk basically. I watched most of Buckley's cameos after January, he generally didn't appear to be trying very hard. I put it down to fear of injury but having watched him yesterday I'd say it was lack of effort.

Maybe you can explain how Barnes managed to show the character to keep trying right up to the game before he left after Burnley tried to buy him last summer?

Indeed, a weak and small minded man it turns out.
If he was so convinced of his 'right' to be a Premier League player why didn't he pay off his own contract and wait for the phone to ring?
Shameful his attitude to our club, please remember to point this out if you ever meet him in the future, as I have done to a previous welcher

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In the case of Poyet I wonder if in his contract was a clause as would be in most standard employment contract that preclude an ex employee from trying to solicit employees from his previous employ. ie Poyet would then not to be able try and tempt Albion players to join him at Sunderland. I bet though in the crazy world that is football these terms and conditions don't apply, but would be interesting if they did.

I wonder if the fact that Gus was sacked for gross misconduct and this are linked?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
When Buckley was "up for it" he was always the best player on the pitch. I've still never seen someone run as fast during a match as he did to get that goal against Bristol City a couple of seasons back.

But the most frustrating thing (other than the injuries) was that he wasn't very often up for it at all. Far from it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Because these people are all human beings and as human beings they are different. Yes, some people can get up for a game after a close family member has died, but others can't. Others take time off.

Bridcutt didn't even try. That is more disappointing to me.

Buckley tried, didn't quite achieve. I am disappointed he didn't produce. But not being angry with him for what he said in the interview isn't about being forgiving, it's about actually listening to what he said and not twisting it into an erroneous claim he said he didn't try, like he was conning the club.

Barnes tried and to some degree did achieve. But that speaks to his character, not buckley's, because they are different people.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think the OP is fair enough here.

Buckley is a wonderful footballer on his day and it is only right he can showcase his talents on the top flight. Shame its not with us.

Whilst Buckley and Bridcutt are different people, I can understand they were distracted by transfer talk. I'm sure I read that Bridcutt loved it here but naturally, he wanted a taste of the top flight. He said it was a tough period when he was being courted, and I'm prepared to believe him.

We really need to remove 'come and play in the prem' from the equation when others want to nick our better players. Until then, expect more frustration.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I felt he had 'em shocked first few touches as 'unknown' but as per norm after 30 mins they all had him sussed and hence went anonymous really.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Loved watching his trickery on his day. But we cannot afford to have key players being so unreliable from injury. In recent seasons we had so many. Sunderland can afford that risk with Johnson. Like seeing ex Albion players making it at highest level. Think Buckley has all the attributes. But will he stay fit. For 2.5m I'm happy that this is now Sunderland's problem

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Because these people are all human beings and as human beings they are different. Yes, some people can get up for a game after a close family member has died, but others can't. Others take time off.

Bridcutt didn't even try. That is more disappointing to me.

Buckley tried, didn't quite achieve. I am disappointed he didn't produce. But not being angry with him for what he said in the interview isn't about being forgiving, it's about actually listening to what he said and not twisting it into an erroneous claim he said he didn't try, like he was conning the club.

Barnes tried and to some degree did achieve. But that speaks to his character, not buckley's, because they are different people.

well put

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Good luck to him we need to move and support our new players we got a couple of gems plus master smith is playing well again and could this be Dunk season and we have a better keeper than last year. Keep the faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here