Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Buckley in demand

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Buckley's sensational debut at the Amex carried him for the rest of his career at BHA. In truth, he flattered to deceive most of the time and some of the posters on here are tending to wear rose-tinted specs. Being fairly tall for a winger ( a la Glen Little ) it puts a particular strain on the body. Buckley has a very upright style, when aiming to push past people. KLL, is shorter and stockier and pushes off much better, like a sprinter, keeping low to the ground. Buckley overstretches too quickly, putting knee joints under strain and increasing the likelihood of pulling muscles. He does damage just pushing off, before getting into his stride. His style and cadence are all wrong and it will plague him all his career. Any talent he has will be negated by the physiology of his body
I think that's a little harsh.

As and when Buckley was firing throughout his Albion career, he was virtually unplayable.
We could all see that and he got a hell of a lot of goodwill, which don't count for much.

Him and Calde terrorized many left backs in the final third of so many games, the opposition frequently had to drag more and more players across to deal with them.

Of course it wasn't every game, and probably wasn't as many as it should have been, but WB didn't flattered to deceive most of the time.
We should be desperate to have him back, and yet he shouldn't be anywhere near this club if it has pretensions of promotion.

T'is a shame, for him, but the Albion moves on.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If looking for a speedy wide man what is wrong with bringing Elliott Bennett back rather than Buckley?

Not quick enough (sprint speed and acceleration) and he can't shoot as well. The timing of his runs does not make up for his relative lack of speed.

Finding a player with speed of Buckley is going to be nigh impossible though. A few youngsters of the required speed may very well come through next season and they will be playing for rival Championship clubs. More than likely foreign born players. Ability to trap the ball instantly and run into space as well as timing his runs is not really a strong point of Elliott Bennett either.

I am not quite sure how urgently we need a speed merchant with Solly March and Kazenga Lualua? It really depends on how much sheer speed is useful (for breakaways) rather than the ability to cross the ball and shoot. As we see home matches when the opposition sit back, it does not matter so much. But one thing a speed merchant does do (Buckley especially) is discourage the opposition full back from overlapping.

I think it is a case if we get chance to get a good winger, we had better not pass it up. But just to get a winger to make up the numbers I'm not so keen on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here