Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will Albion break their transfer record this window?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If the Mwepu deal had broken the record set when we signed Webster it would have been announced as a club record fee, even if the actual amount remained undisclosed.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I keep all of the press releases the club send me, and the Webster signing copy does not mention record fee...

DEAL DONE FOR WEBSTER
Brighton & Hove Albion have completed the signing of defender Adam Webster from Bristol City, on undisclosed terms.
The 24-year-old has agreed a four-year deal with the club, having passed a medical at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre earlier today.​
Head coach Graham Potter said, “Adam is a player the club has been aware of for sometime, and someone we came up against last season at Swansea City.​
“He is a quality defender, comfortable on the ball, fits the profile of the type of player we want to bring to the club, and he was very keen to join us.​
“He is still relatively young, but has good experience from the number of games he has played. Predominately a centre-half, he can also play at right-back, and he will bring additional competition alongside our existing defensive options.”​
Born in Chichester, West Sussex, Webster began his career just across the Hampshire border with Portsmouth; before moving to Ipswich Town in 2016, with Albion defender Matt Clarke moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal.​
Webster has made more than 200 senior appearances, with around half at Championship level. He played 47 times last season for City, after joining from Ipswich a year ago, scoring three goals.​

He has also represented England at under-18 and under-19 level, where he will have worked alongside Albion’s technical director, Dan Ashworth.​
Press releases which do mention record fees include:

Shane Duffy
Maty Ryan
Davy Propper
Jose Izquierdo

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The winter transfer window is the most boring anticlimax story in Football. Nothing to see here. There never is!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I keep all of the press releases the club send me, and the Webster signing copy does not mention record fee...

DEAL DONE FOR WEBSTER
Brighton & Hove Albion have completed the signing of defender Adam Webster from Bristol City, on undisclosed terms.
The 24-year-old has agreed a four-year deal with the club, having passed a medical at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre earlier today.​
Head coach Graham Potter said, “Adam is a player the club has been aware of for sometime, and someone we came up against last season at Swansea City.​
“He is a quality defender, comfortable on the ball, fits the profile of the type of player we want to bring to the club, and he was very keen to join us.​
“He is still relatively young, but has good experience from the number of games he has played. Predominately a centre-half, he can also play at right-back, and he will bring additional competition alongside our existing defensive options.”​
Born in Chichester, West Sussex, Webster began his career just across the Hampshire border with Portsmouth; before moving to Ipswich Town in 2016, with Albion defender Matt Clarke moving in the opposite direction as part of the deal.​
Webster has made more than 200 senior appearances, with around half at Championship level. He played 47 times last season for City, after joining from Ipswich a year ago, scoring three goals.​

He has also represented England at under-18 and under-19 level, where he will have worked alongside Albion’s technical director, Dan Ashworth.​
Press releases which do mention record fees include:

Shane Duffy
Maty Ryan
Davy Propper
Jose Izquierdo
I always thought we did announce Webster as our record signing, but even if we didn't it was widely reported by the press that he was. That certainly didn't happened with Mwepu, in fact some reports went as far as mentioning the fee was some way short of the £20m paid for Adam.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The winter transfer window is the most boring anticlimax story in Football. Nothing to see here. There never is!
The league table suggests there's a chance this window could break the mould.
(Not for us, obvs)

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Yeah I kind of doubt it is the case though. I imagine it most likely Mwepu actually, somewhere over £20m but below £25m.
When a player’s career is prematurely ended by injury or illness, like Mewpu, does a club have some sort of insurance policy in place to cover the loss of the purchase price or current value, or does the club just have to write the £millions off?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I always thought we did announce Webster as our record signing, but even if we didn't it was widely reported by the press that he was. That certainly didn't happened with Mwepu, in fact some reports went as far as mentioning the fee was some way short of the £20m paid for Adam.
Naylor said "well below £20m", Austrian media spoke about €23-25m. Difficult to know who is right as it would be in the best interest of Brighton if the fee was low and for RB Salzburg to say it was high. Possible that Salzburg mentioned the exact fee later in some annual money-thingie but not seen anything about it.

Also Bernardo finalised his permanent move to Salzburg only four days before Mwepu was announced so its perhaps not entirely impossible that this had some impact on the Mwepu deal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When a player’s career is prematurely ended by injury or illness, like Mewpu, does a club have some sort of insurance policy in place to cover the loss of the purchase price or current value, or does the club just have to write the £millions off?
I'm manguessing no. We know for instance that Cardiff have to pay in full for the dead Argentinian bloke despite him not playing a game for them.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If they do I’d hate to think how big a proportion of the club’s income is spent on premiums.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree. I think it’s very unlikely he’ll be with us after this season. It’s a Gallagher at Palace situation. That said it’d be great if we could tempt him here, he’s a solid player.
I agree they won't let him go, although I would compare him to Gallagher, who was Palace's best player that season by a mile.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yes clubs often have insurance policies for players covering career ending injuries and death. Bolton got an insurance payout when Fabrice Muamba had his career ended.

Reactions: abc

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If they do I’d hate to think how big a proportion of the club’s income is spent on premiums.

I was told by someone that would know this sort of stuff that clubs often have insurance to cover players’ wages in the event they get long term injuries so can’t play but are still getting paid.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let’s not turn into Leeds….. no chance Chelsea are selling us Colwill, unless it’s part of one of our jewels going there, and I for one do not want to sell a single other player to those ****s.
Difference could be that White was ready to walk into our first team, is Colwill ready to walk into Chelsea‘s? Normally I’d say no chance but with Potter in charge maybe he will be bringing kids in….probably at the expense of binning a CL place this season and next. Will the fans accept it or make it so toxic that they force Boehly’s hand into sacking GP and appointing a winning manager at the top level. I know Boehly has said he’ll give GP time but continues to try and sign very expensive superstars. Superstars and Potter won’t go together imo

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was told by someone that would know this sort of stuff that clubs often have insurance to cover players’ wages in the event they get long term injuries so can’t play but are still getting paid.
That would surprise me. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, and with long-term injuries amongst a squad of 25+ players being quite common, I’d imagine the premiums would be huge and it’d be cheaper for the clubs to cover the wages themselves when it inevitably happens.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Only if there is a position that RDZ thinks we are desperately short in. And I'm not sure he does.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think we only buy in for big money, if we have to sell for big money, which could happen with Chelsea and Liverpool probably both thinking they need to do something in the coming window to try and salvage the season, or Newcastle maybe wanting to ensure they push on and get CL football.
Cifuentes if we are still interested and beat Leeds to a deal for him, might come this window, whether we sell or not, as it's close season in the MLS and we look likely to lose Mac Allister and Caicedo in the near future, I don't think that would be close to a record fee though.
Can't see Colwill joining on a permanent, we tried hard to get him on a permanent transfer at the time of the Cucurella deal, if he signs it would be like the Livramento deal we pulled out of, where Chelsea would have a buy back clause that limited the upside on any future transfer so severely that a loan is better value, as there is less risk if he flops or gets a nasty injury, which is why I think we only have him here on loan now.
Other than that, maybe De Zerbi has a position or type of player in mind that he feels we have not got covered, but he doesn't seem to be at all unhappy with the squad he has.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Let’s not turn into Leeds….. no chance Chelsea are selling us Colwill, unless it’s part of one of our jewels going there, and I for one do not want to sell a single other player to those ****s.

Probably. But they’ve just signed a LCB from Monaco and they’re still in for Gvardiol. Does look like they’ll have an abundance of CB’s in the summer.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I miss the wisdom of Ben's Grandad on these threads, but in his memory do we not need someone to play at Left Back?
As far as I can tell, this fella is the equivalent of a left footed Veltman and could fill the problematic left back role in the same style Joel does at right back.

Whilst I’d be disappointed if he was our record transfer, I can see us spending the sort of money we splashed on Estupiñán Tenorio on this fella.

I really hope we grab him.

Plenty of rumours out there that we’re sniffing about:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Yes clubs often have insurance policies for players covering career ending injuries and death. Bolton got an insurance payout when Fabrice Muamba had his career ended.
Given the many negligent behaviours contributing to the death of Emiliano Sala I would imagine that if there was cover then the struggle to get a payout from the insurers would eclipse that of getting Cardiff to pay Nantes, and may well be related to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here