Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will 6 More Points Be Enough?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
36 points will be enough. Other teams down the bottom have no consistency - There is no way 3 other teams will get 37 points

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think 7 may do it.

Certainly wouldn't want to go into the last 3 needing that though.

Sooner the better. Turn the screw

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There's been no evidence this season, that we're the sort of team that gets beaten heavily. There's clearly good team spirit. If we did go, say 3 down at half time against City, I don't see in our team that heads would go down and we'd lose by 6 or 7.

And there is lots of evidence to suggest that the teams below us are more likely to have a worsening goal difference (ie thier current GD).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Since the restart the bottom 6 have taken 5 points from a possible 21. Take us out of the equation and our rivals have taken two points from a possible 18. That feels good doesn't it?

We have a tough run in, but no relegation 6 pointers (Norwich are too far behind). Six points I think will almost certainly be enough. For the pessimists maybe the question should be, which teams below us do you think are prepared to scrap it out?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think Bournemouth look bereft. West Ham are utter garbage but I feel that they make have just enough quality to survive.

I can't see either of them overhauling us to be honest

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The next round of matches :

Leicester v Albion
Spurs v West Ham

Newcastle v Villa ( reasonable potential for Villa to make up ground on us )

Norwich v Everton
Wolves v Bournemouth

Burnley v Watford ( reasonable potential for Watford to make up ground on us ).

I'd take a draw v Leicester if offered now.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
The next round of matches :

Leicester v Albion
Spurs v West Ham

Newcastle v Villa ( reasonable potential for Villa to make up ground on us )

Norwich v Everton
Wolves v Bournemouth

Burnley v Watford ( reasonable potential for Watford to make up ground on us ).

I'd take a draw v Leicester if offered now.

So would I. I've got Leicester to win 2 nil in the score predictor.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
west ham v villa last game of the season could be massive

West Ham also have to host Watford

I suspect lose tomorrow but if its not a heavy loss then there are positives in that

A 4th season in the prem would be good achievement.

Get s afew potter players in and next year could be a good one. Our squad is pretty solid , just needs a bit of gold dust added to it

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Our current form is one defeat in the last six. On current form we are above Leicester and Southampton plus all of the bottom five and headed for a mid table finish, we have some tough games on paper but they could include Liverpool who may have won the league by the time we play them and Man City who may have lost it. The teams around us have so far shown nothing to suggest they can reel us in. and it will take a massive turn around from THREE of those teams to relegate us. Remember that the bottom five also have to play each other in a number of cases and you can see why the bookies have us at 8/1 now.

We are as far removed from last seasons situation as is possible despite being in a similar position in the league. I think we may well end a place or two higher come the end. We have a decent manager, a squad with a number of good young players with more coming through and an excellent infrastructure in place. Add to that the problems all clubs are going to have in buying their way to success in the next couple of years and I think we are well placed to push on significantly next season.

I have watched this lot for 45 years plus and I don't think we have ever been in a better position than we are right now. It could go wrong of course it could, but my money would be on the opposite happening...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think we have a difficult run in. Leicester away is the hardest, but with that out of the way we don't have any away games against top 8, no 6-pointers against teams around us, a game against the rock bottom side and the last three against mid table teams with little to play for.

We still have to turn up and perform, of course, and City, United and Liverpool are obviously very difficult games, but you cannot write us off at home, as Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal will attest.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
As said previously 38 points usually guarantees safety. Often less. It's a cliche but that win on Saturday was huge and would have inspired confidence going into the Leicester game. I'm moderately hopeful of nicking something there. Watching Leicester against Watford on Saturday didn't fill me with fear of the visit on Tuesday. Nick a point or better at Leicester and we're well on the way to safety. I still have a 'hunch' one of those three tough looking home games we will spring a surprise. Assuming they have the title wrapped up and little to play for plus watching that dirge last night, maybe against Liverpool? Positive thinking or deluded? Time will tell.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Our goal difference would be greatly reduced if we had only one more win, especially with Man City and Liverpool still to play

The league will almost certainly have been won by Liverpool by the time we play them both and a natural drop off in intensity by both of them will hopefully mean we won’t be hammered by too many.
I think our defence is good enough to keep it down to single figures in both games.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes I think 38 will probably be enough, but I'm confident we will surpass it anyway and finish on around 40-42 points.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes I think 38 will probably be enough, but I'm confident we will surpass it anyway and finish on around 40-42 points.

If we don't have a nervy finish, then not only will it be good for my ticker (which supporting the Albion properly puts through the mill every season without fail), but also good for our ability to market ourselves to potential new signings for next season. Ie, we're not constantly relegation candidates. If we can get into the 40's that would be a great achievement. Odds are that's at least 5 more than we'd need.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If we get relegated on the 26th July at Burnley, it will be the worst Birthday ever....

I am confident this won't happen now, and actually could see us beating Leicester on Tuesday.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I'd be interested in seeing what the table looked like with 8 games to go in the seasons where 38 points (and a good GD) wasn't enough. I'm sure someone with more time on their hands than me can dig it out, but I'm going to guess that there weren't 5 teams with 28 points or fewer at this stage.

At game week 30 of the 06/07 season, the bottom end looked like this;
06-07 38 point safety.png

By the end, West Ham went on a fantastic run, and the Blades went down on 38 points, due to a poorer goal difference to Wigan (by a single goal).

Taking a look at the PPG over the final 8 games...

2.250 West Ham
1.125 City
1.000 Watford
0.875 Charlton, Sheffield Utd
0.625 Wigan, Fulham

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just had an "arrogant" look at the fixtures.

I don't think Norwich or Bournemouth will catch us now.

I also think that IF Newcastle beat Villa on Wednesday, then Villa will also finish below us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here