Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will 6 More Points Be Enough?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We rightly concentrate on who will catch us, but actually the teams right in the relegation mix will be looking at each other.

For instance, Villa are just 1 point from being out of the relegation zone and Norwich will be looking at the 7 point gap to safety not the 12 they are behind us.

I suppose this means that soon we won't be mentioned as relegation candidates. 3-5 more points should do it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I suppose this means that soon we won't be mentioned as relegation candidates. 3-5 more points should do it.

Yep - that'd move us from being the clear leaders of tier 3 (relegation candidates) to the very bottom of tier 2 (also-rans), which'll do just fine for me for this season. Next season, with the improvements in the squad recently coming through and another year of Potter instilling his vision and tactics, I'd hope for mid-lower tier 2.

Of course, we need to get those 3-5 points first...but I believe we will.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
The comforting factor in this run in is that its three teams from below that have to overhaul us for us to drop into the relegation zone. That's a significant improvement in form for three different sides. Becoming more and more unlikely with every point gained. I always think goal difference is a good reelation indicator. Ours is better than most sides immediately above us and miles better than the teams below. Never say never but I think we are almost there

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
On reflection, 36 points will see us safe.

That means 3 of Bournemouth, Villa, West Ham and Watford need 9/10 more points which seems a bit fantastical.

1 more Win.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Get 4 points in our next two and I think/hope it will be enough.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Basically every result since the restart has gone as well as we could have hoped it would. We have done well, no team below has done well, most badly. It can’t carry on like this - lower teams will pick up wins and we will lose some. I am very happy with it so far, but I’m not believing that we aren’t in for a bit of stress in the weeks ahead.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Basically every result since the restart has gone as well as we could have hoped it would. We have done well, no team below has done well, most badly. It can’t carry on like this - lower teams will pick up wins and we will lose some. I am very happy with it so far, but I’m not believing that we aren’t in for a bit of stress in the weeks ahead.
The hope is that the teams below us will have run out of road before they see any improvement.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
I doubt it will be enough

I think we 've got enough points already weirdly

Two from Villa, West Ham and Bournemouth need 7 points from 7 games and we would need to get 0 points from 7 games - plus watford are 5 points behind us ( so 6 in reality ).

That said I still think we'll get another 2 wins and 2 draws so end up on 41 points .

The break has been good for Potter

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A point a game from here on in. Be nice to go to Burnley with nothing at stake

And tear them a new one.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We rightly concentrate on who will catch us, but actually the teams right in the relegation mix will be looking at each other.

For instance, Villa are just 1 point from being out of the relegation zone and Norwich will be looking at the 7 point gap to safety not the 12 they are behind us.

I think you are right here. If we were in Villa’s position would we would highlighting every game as a must win or more likely try to win but every point is vital as they are so close to those teams around them. Helps us and I think 38 points will be plenty. More likely36/37.
What will also come into play is the fact that West Ham play Villa last game of season so they will both know that being within 3 points of each other gives them a lifeline if Bournemouth are gone or still in the mix. The fact that there is little difference between 4 teams at the bottom helps us I think so long as we can maintain some sort of cushion for the next 3/4 games which will be very difficult.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The amount of money plunged into the PL in the last ten years alone is HUGE. Looking at previous 10 shows 38 has become even more likely to see us safe.

38 points since the 09/10 seasons goes up to 90%, 35 is 50%.

Points to be safe since 09/10: 31, 40, 37, 37, 34, 36, 38, 35, 34, 35

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The amount of money plunged into the PL in the last ten years alone is HUGE. Looking at previous 10 shows 38 has become even more likely to see us safe.

38 points since the 09/10 seasons goes up to 90%, 35 is 50%.

Points to be safe since 09/10: 31, 40, 37, 37, 34, 36, 38, 35, 34, 35

It's worth noting that in the 10/11 season, where Birmingham were relegated with 39 points, at 31 games the bottom 3 had 32, 32 and 31 points.*

This season, after 31 games the bottom 3 have 27, 27 and 21 points.

*N.B. at 31 games Birmingham were 15th, with 34 points... :eek:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think we 've got enough points already weirdly

Two from Villa, West Ham and Bournemouth need 7 points from 7 games and we would need to get 0 points from 7 games - plus watford are 5 points behind us ( so 6 in reality ).

That said I still think we'll get another 2 wins and 2 draws so end up on 41 points .

The break has been good for Potter

I can see Watford and West Ham getting enough to catch us, but not Villa and Bournemouth, my guess is that the bottom 3 now are the bottom 3.

That said I predicted we would have 0 points from our first 3 games after the restart, so what do I know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here