Wigan make approach for Poyet

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
A Zaha-free season will be the true test of the man.

You are correct, he'll be hard to replace.
Holloway will use the relegation favourite tag to his advantage, just like in the play offs.
Hopefully we sign good quality championship players, better and sensible way of doing things.

Aug 23, 2011
Do you not think he should be respectful of the club that pays his wages? Following on from that do you also not feel he should be respectful of the supporters who are going some way towards pay his wages? A lot of people earn considerably less than Poyet and follow the Albion up and down the country, his comments post Palace were very poor and naive at best.

Poyet has been a brilliant manager and he should be respected for his achievements.

How many managers say silly things after bad matches that deflect criticism from the players. Mourinho, wenger, fergie etc and it works as everyone concentrates on what they said and not the match

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I also think some of the best football I have ever seen from Albion. I know some people maintain we were dull to watch (and at times it was frustrating) but when we were on form over the last 3 seasons, the football has been fantastic. We improved every year under Gus and I think the improvement has led some to forget where we were when he joined. As has been said elsewhere, it may be a while before people realise it but he has done a great job and will be missed assuming he leaves.

Spot on. We've been SUPERB under Poyet, in large part thanks to the players HE has managed to get hold of.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How many managers say silly things after bad matches that deflect criticism from the players. Mourinho, wenger, fergie etc and it works as everyone concentrates on what they said and not the match

So what Poyet said is ok? If I slated my employer publicly then I would be in hot water......

The examples you give, normally refer to officiating not to the fact that they have 'internal issues'.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Do you not think he should be respectful of the club that pays his wages? Following on from that do you also not feel he should be respectful of the supporters who are going some way towards pay his wages? A lot of people earn considerably less than Poyet and follow the Albion up and down the country, his comments post Palace were very poor and naive at best.

Poyet has been a brilliant manager and he should be respected for his achievements.

Yeah, he probably should. But it was heat of the moment stuff and he was hurting like the rest of us. I imagine most of us probably said things after that game that perhaps weren't quite what we meant, I know I did. He's a young, passionate manager, and he says what he is thinking, when sometimes it would be better to just keep quiet. But that's what his character is. You must have said things on a football pitch or straight after a game that actually, after a couple of pints in the pub later on, you'd admit we're a bit over the top and you'd give a different perspective on things if asked now. I'm sure you'd argue that it's his job to be more media savvy, and it is, but he's a young manager and he's pretty bloody good at the rest of it so we should allow him one fault!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Unbelievable. A league 2 clogger who countless managers had not been able to get anything more out of. Gus turns up, turns the style of play on its head, says E-Abd is the best defender in the club, we all think he's mad, works with El-Ebd to adapt his game to the Poyet philosophy, and within a season El Abd becomes a very competent upper-Championship level defender. And you put it down to... the other players around him.

Utterly ridiculous.
So you don't think it would have been beneficial for El-Abds game when he played alongside Greer, Calde and Painter in league One as opposed to pkayers like Mayo, Hawkins and Pethick?
I do appreciate that AEA has come on tremendously but that ability must have been within himself all along.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm sure you'd argue that it's his job to be more media savvy, and it is, but he's a young manager and he's pretty bloody good at the rest of it so we should allow him one fault!

I'm sure I would!! :smile:

You could also argue that as soon as he made one of his outbursts (perhaps post FC Utd, when he heard booing at half-time), the club should have taken him to one side or offered him media training of some sort.

Do you think he'll stay?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
For some I think it is a case of don't know what you've got till its gone. Shame that a vocal few are tying to diminish what Gus has achieved here.

Personally I don't mind a manager with confidence in his ability and is truthful enough to say that he wants to manage at the highest level.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Obviously makes a difference, but it's obvious that Gus' man management and player development skills are top, top class - as seen in other players such as Bridcutt & Barnes too.

I haven't disputed that at any point. I merely included AEA amongst the QUALITY defenders we have had and the Poyet sycophantic crew got all flustered :lol: the funniest thing is that I have been labelled anti-Gus now by some people that have never spoken to me about it, the truth is I want him to stay. Sorry if that throws a spanner in the works :lolol:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
For some I think it is a case of don't know what you've got till its gone. Shame that a vocal few are tying to diminish what Gus has achieved here

Maybe, maybe not. It could be that some people are disappointed by how last season finished and are being vocal about it. Just because some people are upset doesn't mean they want Gus gone.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If Watford had gone up instead of palace I think SOME people would be less pissed off at Gus and the Club.

I know that feeds the trolls and they'll love it but for SOME people I think that's the case.

We got 4th place and improved on 10th........ now let's make sure we make the play-offs again and keep building. Off the field and on! We've come a LONG way in 3 1/2 seasons and Gus is AS responsible for that as ANYBODY INCLUDING the god that is Tony Bloom :thumbsup:

Gus isn't perfect but he's bloody good and if he goes and we get a fee plus a decent new manager (I'd trust TB on that) then all's well...... but whatever happens they need to get it sorted the next 10-14 days else it will start to drag on. Currently it's about the right time frame especially with holidays etc.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
. Shame that a vocal few are tying to diminish what Gus has achieved here.

Good grief, why don't you actually read what is posted here,...?..... Most of those who are NOW daring to offer a critical opinion are presenting their views of the post playoff episodes, you know, form and express an opinion in discussion on the rights, wrongs, ifs and maybes. I have read very little that throws a critical net across Gus's entire tenure at the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I appreciate we played some lovely football that season, and gave the league one cloggers the run around, but when you look at the personnel he had at his disposal that season he wasn't as up against as it some like to think. I know it's a bit of a flimsy case to make but our team that season consisted of 3 players who are now in the premier league, 2 that have gone on to receive international call ups and several players that have more than proved themselves to be competent championship players. It's not like he took Yeovil up.

Who coached them? We were in the relegation zone with Murray & Bennett. Gus brought Noone in and improved him.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He hardly stuck the boot in, did he? He was asked questions in the media and to be fair answered them honestly......

...... with no thought as to the consequences or implications for the club, fans or indeed himself..... reckless really.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So none of these players would have amounted to anything if Poyet hadn't have coached them? Is it because of Poyet that Murray scored 30+ goals this season?

You can't deny that he had a part of their development. Murray scored 22 goals whereas before he couldn't achieve that with 3 previous managers, Bennett came on in leaps & bounds, & Noone certainly improved from his Plymouth standard.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You can't deny that he had a part of their development. Murray scored 22 goals whereas before he couldn't achieve that with 3 previous managers, Bennett came on in leaps & bounds, & Noone certainly improved from his Plymouth standard.
:lol: Christ alive I'm not trying to deny anything, it's the same as with AEA, all had potential but he helped them realise it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

It's a myth that Murray scored more goals when Poyet arrived. If you look at his goals-to-game ratio it was pretty much the same the entire time he was with us.

Personally, I've always rated El-Abd. Poyet obviously did too which is why he played him when he came to the club. El-Abd rejected Everton to stay with the Albion when he was a youth player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports