Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I actually think this is one of CH's shrewdest tactics. As others have mentioned we've repeatedly scored goals in the last few months by breaking at speed on teams from the edge of our box. By not leaving someone up it encourages teams to get drawn in to pushing up on us. It's certainly a real contrast from Bournemouth's tactics when they came down in their promotion season - they put a player on each touchline on the halfway line to maximise the need for attacking teams to leave cover at the back.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Presumably because CH doesn't think it's the way to go?

I don't know about anyone else but that's good enough for me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I get some amusement from people assuming that fans whose passion is to live and breath football and in particular their club, have nothing to base a viewpoint on and can know nothing about tactics because they are not "professionals"

I actually agree. Several times this season we have cleared the ball up field and it has come straight back due to no outlet. I would leave Kaz up if he is playing or Baldock, they are not that much use in defending corners but are a good outlet should we clear the ball and as BG says, it means the opposing team keep an extra player back too.

Agree with both of these. It may not be the way CH chooses to go, and I'm happy to go with CH's judgement, but the OP's suggestion is quite reasonable.

Bit worried about the idea of 1968 coaching methods though - wasn't that about the time that [can't remember the first name] Hughes had a coaching role at the FA and was basically advocating nothing but long ball tactics?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can somebody please explain why we do not leave the smallest quickest player in the centre circle. This would mean the opponents leaving 2 men back to mark him and if the ball was hoofed out to between those players and the keeper it would give us a valuable outlet to relieve pressure. without the ball being pumped back into our box.

Email Barber.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Presumably because CH doesn't think it's the way to go?

I don't know about anyone else but that's good enough for me.

Maybe CH is reading this now and is changing his mind as we write......

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Has anyone ever seen BG and CH at the same time?

Just saying...
CH would have been very Young to do a coaching course in 1968....... Or is that just a little white lie to prolong the deception?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
CH would have been very Young to do a coaching course in 1968....... Or is that just a little white lie to prolong the deception?
Maybe CH is just the front man, BG is secretly pulling the strings.

In fact, has anyone ever seen BG and TB together? How far does this go?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What happens if we play rush goalie?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here