Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why why why why... SAMBUCA

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Apparently I thought it was a good idea to finish my night with rum shots the other night....at least 10 later I dont remember much.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Before it was fashionable in the 70s we used to have Sambuca in coffee now I have been given Jagerbombs by my sons, what a load of rubbish virtually non alcoholic I would think by the taste of them. After about 8 one evening after a few pints of London Pride I felt fine but didn't remember going home to bed and slept like a log so obviously not non alcoholic. The drink that used to get my wife drunk after 2 or 3 at the most was an American Sombrero which is a shot of Southern Comfort, shot of Tequila over ice in a large bowl glass topped up with dry cider. Wow it knocked her head off.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
I opened this thread thinking it would be a new song...

to the tune Delilah...

Why, why, why... Sambuca!

Me too.

Incidentally, my nephew was supposed to be staying with us last night after a pub crawl of our local town which has something like 17 pubs. He turned up this morning to pick his car up as he never made it back here last night. Hope to God he didn't get stopped, he REEKED of booze and was very much a whiter shade of pale.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
The ONLY reason for doing that stupid thing with a glass of Sambuca and a coffee bean (then setting it on fire) is to burn off most of the alcohol. Maybe that's what you should have done?

Personally, I like my Sambuca neat, and my Pernod and Ouzo diluted with water. It's a taste thing - and I enjoy the taste. But to drink large quantities is just stupid.

Having said that, we can all be stupid on occasions.

I feel ever so slightly chastised!

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
I swear it was that one black sambuca, that pushed me over the edge.

And the extended half time allowing 2 beers at half time was a nice bonus :)

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I don't get out as much as I used to, but in the near past I've been out with friends for their birthdays, and on both occasions they've ended up going home about half nine, because they've smashed the sambuca, and couldn't carry on :nono: The stuff (like all shots ??? ) is pure spirit, and the body can only take so much of it's assault on the system...

Post sponsored by:- Alcohol Advice | Drinkaware - for the facts about Alcohol

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I like a drop of Sambuca but it has to be drunk neat and is a bit naughty if I have more than a couple. Generally at teh end of an evening, if I'm having a short it will be brandy with ice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I like a drop of Sambuca but it has to be drunk neat and is a bit naughty if I have more than a couple. Generally at teh end of an evening, if I'm having a short it will be brandy with ice.

Modern day drinkers Brandy should be served in a pre warmed glass hence decent bars will wash the brandy balloon under hot running water before serving. If done it is very noticeable in the taste. This coming from somebody, who for my sins, drunk well in excess of a bottle of REMY Martin VSOP a day.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Modern day drinkers Brandy should be served in a pre warmed glass hence decent bars will wash the brandy balloon under hot running water before serving. If done it is very noticeable in the taste. This coming from somebody, who for my sins, drunk well in excess of a bottle of REMY Martin VSOP a day.

Call me a phillistine, but I like it with ice so I'm gonna have it with ice

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Somewhere, possibly in Sussex (I could have been on holiday in England though), there was/is a pub that has the whole bar areas decked out with a complete run of empty Coivosier (sp French brandy) bottles, encircling the whole joint, on shelves just below the ceilings...:ohmy:

I took it the landlord (or a punter) was a bit partial to a drop :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A couple of Sambuca at the end of the night used to guarantee a clear head in the morning for me. Tequila is the one I don't understand.

There's nothing wrong with good tequila. Unfortunately, most pubs and bars in the UK choose to sell rubbish to be drunk as a punishment rather than for the taste.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Sambuca is the devil. I broke an oven door after a night on double sambucas, and accused my wife of having a party whilst I was out. Cut my foot on the broken glass, and had to buy a new cooker.

I haven't touched the stuff since.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There's nothing wrong with good tequila.

Yes there is. I've had so called 'good tequila' and it still tastes like paint stripper.

The 'fun' element of a group of people doing tequila slammers is the only reason why this evil stuff gets sold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here