Why we see performances like today!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
Obviously not the case but the impression given by the performance today is that somebody above has told the players that (a) .we dont want to go up. (b) we cant afford to go up (c) we are not good enough and if we did most of you will be released.

i agree with this im not so sure the club intend to get promoted yet

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Leicester - Vardy/Nugent & Burnley - Ings/Vokes is how you get teams promoted and put on performances

Have to agree with you Ern , teams have had enough time to suss out tippy tappy 4-5-1 in this league and gone back to the old fashioned 4-4-2 to get the results.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Kuszczak, Ward, Buckley, Stephens, Ulloa, Lingard, Dunk. I know we have had enquires from top flight clubs on most of those. I cannot comment about Leicester, but the set up in the past few games has been no different. Expect right at the start of the second half today, when it looked like 4-4-1-1, but that lasted 40 seconds because soon as we scored, Buckley was ordered off the wing and back inside. Good minute whilst it lasted though:lol:

So how do you think we set up differently today, then from say Barnsley or Middlesborough?

So we as a club have had enquiries from Prem teams for 2 players that aren't even ours and a player who we signed less than a week before the transfer window closed. Wow

nick65

Jun 9, 2013
New Jersey
I have to agree that promotion wasn't part of the plan this season. Oscar's post match interview was quite telling when he talked about his pre season plans and said, there would be changes in the summer now that he knows the club and this league. To me that sounded like he expects us to be a Championship club next season. Not that you can plan promotion obviously.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Every good team has bad days, every bad team will have a good day. The trouble with Albion, this season, is the almost inevitability of a 'below par' performance.

Ability wise our side compares fairly well with others in the division yet the application and desire just too often isn't there. Where's the leadership on the pitch, where's the leadership on the touchline. Garcia looks as though he's sulking around the box and substitutions often have an air of desperation rather than tactical planning.

Most of us have seen far worse Albion teams but everything is their, 6th place is almost being handed to them but still they cannot step up to the plate and that's what so galling.

In previous years we've been used to suffering only a small amout of poor games over a season. This time it'll be hard to look back and recall the great games.

The nail's head has been well and truly hit.

I believe I've enjoyed some of our relegation battles more than this season. At least there was some passion.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
reasons:

arguments or splits within the camp, or severe lack of motivation from staff and players.........i go with the latter.

Get Mullery in there to do the pre game talk.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No point in going up and coming straight back down again.

Fatuous statement! - there's every reason to want to go up:

1). We would be able to attract some better players (maybe only two or three, but that would still improve the team).
2). The players would learn and improve from playing against top quality teams.
3). We might not come straight back down at all.
4). Even if we did, we'd have millions of quid handed to us to build and improve for a better tilt at the prem. next time.

Win / win situation.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Dreadful set-pieces today, surely that is something that should be worked on intensely in training. The one opportunity you have to put in a quality delivery under no pressure at all, yet umpteen times the corner cleared everyone (for both teams it has to be said). Incredibly frustrating. Slow out of the blocks again, Blackpool showed more intent early on. March was anonymous, though seemd to be playing centrally so can't see what we are going to get out of him there. As others have said, Ulloa too isolated too often. Good to see Buckley but he did nothing, same as CMS. We may still stumble into the playoffs, but I very much doubt we'll get through them. My 8 year old daughters first game, after 25 mins she said "Daddy I'm bored", sadly a sentiment that I guess was widely held at that point.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Every good team has bad days, every bad team will have a good day. The trouble with Albion, this season, is the almost inevitability of a 'below par' performance.

Ability wise our side compares fairly well with others in the division yet the application and desire just too often isn't there. Where's the leadership on the pitch, where's the leadership on the touchline. Garcia looks as though he's sulking around the box and substitutions often have an air of desperation rather than tactical planning.

Most of us have seen far worse Albion teams but everything is their, 6th place is almost being handed to them but still they cannot step up to the plate and that's what so galling.

In previous years we've been used to suffering only a small amout of poor games over a season. This time it'll be hard to look back and recall the great games.

Spot on.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Ulloa was isolated as our midfield lost the ability to pass to one of our players and our wingers did not turn up meaning we had no impetus going forward. Blackpool came at is and we sat deeper. This and despite the negative approach you are trying to portray we finished the game with 2 strikers and 2 wingers on the pitch and still had a chance to win the game which again one of our 'premier league' players in waiting failed to score
We did finish the game like this, yes. Would be nice to allow them to start the game like this, or even play a half like this, so we are not always frantically chasing a late goal to get points against relagation fodder. If we start against Yeovil with as you put it, two wingers and two strikers on the pitch, and we continue to struggle and waste easy chances, then I'll shut up. That is on the condition though, that the two wingers are deployed as wingers, and the two striker play as strikers. That doesn't mean playing LuaLua or Buckley or March central, and asking CMS to play out wide.

Ulloa is always isolated. The wingers where there, on the pitch, but no always on the wing. Maybe our midfield lost the ability to pass to one of our own players, as they centre of the pitch was overcrowd, as the "winger" were too narrow. This is down to the manager and how he sets it up. Not the players. If Garica ever decides to play to the players strengths and we continue to struggle, then I will admit our squad is not good enough. In the meantime all the time he hold on to 6th space, playing an over complacated formation, that would not suit half of the premiership squads, I will maintain that if he used them to their strengths, we would be a lot higher than 6th and we would already be confirmed in the play offs at the very least.

This is pure speculation, but I firmly believe if Garica was in charge of Leicester or Burnley this season with the same squads, they would not be sitting in the premiership right now, and if we had a more traditional manager, who played a simpler more traditional formation, we well might be.

I still say we have the squad to succeed. Garica's way will always lead to underachievement, unless we break into the top 6.

My worry is if we go up this season, even with substanial investment, we will get ****ed week in week out playing this way.

God forbid we miss out, and Garica continues to "entertain" the Falmer crowd with his breathtaking style of football, then unless we limp into play off contention again when season ticket renewals are due, like we have this season, the JCL will flee the Amex like rats from a sinking ship.

Again, pure speculation, but if season tickets had to be renewed after the season ended, I fear the uptake would have been far far lower than it has been, and if we start losing fans, then mid table fodder is the best we can hope for.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So we as a club have had enquiries from Prem teams for 2 players that aren't even ours and a player who we signed less than a week before the transfer window closed. Wow
If you read it, I said most of these. The original points was wo was good enough for the premiership. Lingard IS a premiership player, so theres one I would consider for the premiership. Buckley interests at least Palace and Sunderland, theres two. Kuszazak is interesting Leicester should Schimichel go, there's three. Ulloa is coverted by a few, not least Sunderland, theres 4. Tottenham are sniffing around Dunk, there's five. I said most of those. 5 out 7 I think covers that. I would be very surprised if Stephens stays under the premiership radar this summer and hasn't already been watched by a few clubs. Obviously Ward is not our player so I cannot comment on him, but I am sure if we did go up, we would be on Wolves case to keep him here. So 5 out of 7 definites have premiership clubs sniffing around, and two maybes, I would consider those 7 good enough to be premiership players. WOW!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I don't see how you can lay that at the door of the manager or his tactics today. We set up attacking, he spotted march was anonymous and replaced him with Buckley at half time and made 2 further attacking changes. The players were at fault today as aside from some of the most abysmal set pieces I have seen watching the albion whenever we got into wide areas we either failed to deliver a cross or decided to play an additional unneeded 2 passes and lose the ball completely.

For me Oscar did everything in his power to win that game and the players let him down

About right imo.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If you read it, I said most of these. The original points was wo was good enough for the premiership. Lingard IS a premiership player, so theres one I would consider for the premiership. Buckley interests at least Palace and Sunderland, theres two. Kuszazak is interesting Leicester should Schimichel go, there's three. Ulloa is coverted by a few, not least Sunderland, theres 4. Tottenham are sniffing around Dunk, there's five. I said most of those. 5 out 7 I think covers that. I would be very surprised if Stephens stays under the premiership radar this summer and hasn't already been watched by a few clubs. Obviously Ward is not our player so I cannot comment on him, but I am sure if we did go up, we would be on Wolves case to keep him here. So 5 out of 7 definites have premiership clubs sniffing around, and two maybes, I would consider those 7 good enough to be premiership players. WOW!

Lingard is NOT a premiership player. He has never played.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Lingard is NOT a premiership player. He has never played.
But he is highly thought of at Manchester United, and this is about next season, and I think we will go to a premiership club next season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

So complete guess work then

Tottenham and Dunk was 3 years ago !!!

You stated the club had received enquiries for most of them

Lingard and Ward both on loan so couldn't have had an offer... Stephens only just joined the club and Dunk isn't on any premiership wanted list. So that's 4 already which is more than half the list, also yeah I would say your supposed list contains Ulloa and Buckley that's it.

Feb 3, 2013
It should be spanish Dave in the middle playing the through balls, instead of being criticised on the wing. Poyet recognised this and remember how good he was last season because he was played as a CM

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports