Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the hate for Nathan Jones?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
No way should he be our new manager. Nowhere near enough experience. However, as a no2 to the new guy, whoever it is, would be a decent appointment. It gives us some continuity which is important. He can explain the background, capabilities and failings of our current squad. Of course the new guy will want to make his own mind up on many areas but to do this without someone like NJs input would probably take longer. I hope he stays as our no2.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
You mean apart from him having done absolutely nothing to have earned the role other than having some generic coaching badges, being a below-average former player and being a bit of a snide? Oh, hang on, he's got GCSE Spanish you say? Hire! Hire!

nobody earns a football coaching job, they get appointed...

chickrun

Sep 13, 2006
surrey
I was very impressed with him when he played against us for southend . Thought he was a great player for us and showed since he left us he is a guy who wants to win. I think he was the one off field positive from last year and hope we can keep him. ok unlike most of us he was not born or raised within say30 miles of the city but he does love it down here and wants to win

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I am in no way jealous of him but simply not a fan of how he came from nowhere to be a majorly influential figure in the running of the team.

Oscar supposedly bought his trusted team with him that was good enough to win the Israeli Premier league at the first attempt without prior knowledge of the squad or players and it would appear that the hiring of Jones was a knee jerk reaction to the fact that linguistics were not Oscar's strong point.

I just feel that he isn't the finished article, has the history going against him, he clearly recommended Obika which lacks serious judgement of player potential and perhaps childishly I dislike him because of the past too much to warm to him.

Either way for me he isn't the future.

chickrun

Sep 13, 2006
surrey
I am in no way jealous of him but simply not a fan of how he came from nowhere to be a majorly influential figure in the running of the team.

Oscar supposedly bought his trusted team with him that was good enough to win the Israeli Premier league at the first attempt without prior knowledge of the squad or players and it would appear that the hiring of Jones was a knee jerk reaction to the fact that linguistics were not Oscar's strong point.

I just feel that he isn't the finished article, has the history going against him, he clearly recommended Obika which lacks serious judgement of player potential and perhaps childishly I dislike him because of the past too much to warm to him.

Either way for me he isn't the future.

just he was a decent player for us who has had a decent stab at coaching and recognized by those in the know. he was a winner like say Kiupers, Cullip , Watson. mayo, Cartenter. Oatway of his era. Just that he had a go for his team v us. I am sure if their careers had not changed and they had come up against us for other clubs they have not been any different. As for Oscar and his team. We may remember him or a while but not the rest,and will any of them know how the Albion get on next season unless we win the league or cup they will not know or care.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I like Jonesy but would not want him as our Manager maybe as a coach though.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I await the flaming for this but...

In the thread about the coaches Juan and Ruben leaving, many people are saying that oscar should take Nathan Jones too...

Why do so many people on here have a problem with him, he seems like a pretty good coach to me.

Don't hate him, but don't see him as a manager in the slightest. I rather despair at the lack of ambition of those that would want him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To repeat my earlier post on a different NJ thread:

"Jones would be a disaster. Yes, there is more chance of him staying longer, but that is only because nobody will want him once he follows the Tinselhead pattern of results, which IIRC was:

WDLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL sacked."

Those who support his appointment as our manager seriously need a rethink. Do you really think Tony, who has invested 10's of millions of pounds in our club, is going to put that investment in the hands of a man who has:

1. Never managed before
2. Constantly spouted trite BS in all his pre- and post-match interviews (whilst covering OG's media shortcomings)
3. Thinks Obika is a good player
4. Has done nothing at the Albion to suggest he is ready for the role?

Personally, I want him out. Calde would make a far better number 2; intelligent, articulate, etc.

Every candidate that has hit the top of the 'next Brighton manager' betting, including the latest two, are far, far better candidates in terms of experience, skills, etc.

Finally, Tony will not want to send the message to the fans "We no longer have any ambition to get our club up to the Prem", which is exactly the message he would send if Nathan Jones is appointed.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
To repeat my earlier post on a different NJ thread:

"Jones would be a disaster. Yes, there is more chance of him staying longer, but that is only because nobody will want him once he follows the Tinselhead pattern of results, which IIRC was:

WDLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL sacked."

Those who support his appointment as our manager seriously need a rethink. Do you really think Tony, who has invested 10's of millions of pounds in our club, is going to put that investment in the hands of a man who has:

1. Never managed before
2. Constantly spouted trite BS in all his pre- and post-match interviews (whilst covering OG's media shortcomings)
3. Thinks Obika is a good player
4. Has done nothing at the Albion to suggest he is ready for the role?

Personally, I want him out. Calde would make a far better number 2; intelligent, articulate, etc.

Every candidate that has hit the top of the 'next Brighton manager' betting, including the latest two, are far, far better candidates in terms of experience, skills, etc.

Finally, Tony will not want to send the message to the fans "We no longer have any ambition to get our club up to the Prem", which is exactly the message he would send if Nathan Jones is appointed.

To me you lose all credability when you say calde would be a better number 2. I love calde as much as the next man (and thats a lot), but why do you think he would be a better coach than jones? Calde has no coaching experience, but you think because he is articulate he will be a good coach. I think there are more skills needed to be honest.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To me you lose all credability when you say calde would be a better number 2. I love calde as much as the next man (and thats a lot), but why do you think he would be a better coach than jones? Calde has no coaching experience, but you think because he is articulate he will be a good coach. I think there are more skills needed to be honest.

Just my opinion. What makes you think Nathan is a good coach? And would make a good manager?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Just my opinion. What makes you think Nathan is a good coach? And would make a good manager?

I don't know what he does as a coach, but he was held in high regard at Charlton when he managed the development team for them. I was just pointing out that your argument for calde being a 'better' number 2 was based on calde being articulate. Jones has experience of being a coach, and like him or not, he was part of a 'successful' management team last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here