Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why on earth is Darren Ferguson getting slated on here??

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Anyone who think Darren Ferguson would be a good appointment for a team chasing the Premiership needs their head testing.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Apart from all the people agreeing with me on this thread of course. 3 promotions with a tinpot club speaks for itself.

i cant believe the core of your argument is that he got a peterborough team promoted from league 1
he did nothing with both peterborough or PNE in the championship - brighton dont have that big a budget in the championship, and ferguson jr has proved he doesnt have what it takes with a smaller budget in the league (PNE didnt have a TINY budget like you keep harping on, that peterborough did)
give it up already........seriously

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
i cant believe the core of your argument is that he got a peterborough team promoted from league 1
he did nothing with both peterborough or PNE in the championship - brighton dont have that big a budget in the championship, and ferguson jr has proved he doesnt have what it takes with a smaller budget in the league (PNE didnt have a TINY budget like you keep harping on, that peterborough did)

Thing is though he is not the only person who would be happy with Ferguson is he? My choice would be curbishley but would be happy with ferguson. Out of interest who would you like to see in the dug out?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In fairness I think his teams, although not having a great record against us always gave Gus a tough game. This season we had to wait until the last minute at the Amex and we were held to a draw at their place. Seem to remember that when he does have a half decent team they play good football too. We wouldn't be bored with the football with him as manager, his teams score goals. Ok they concede them to but it is an entertainment game. I'd prefer him than some dull 1-0 manager.

Not touting for him but we could do a lot worse

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

The core of my argument was that he got a double promotion in consecutive seasons whilst spending very little. How often do you see that happen?

Added to his United connections, the fact he is still very young and still learning, the fact he has learnt from the absolute master, and the fact that he has previously been proven to bring out the best in CMS.

Agreed he didn't do a great job at PNE though.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
In fairness I think his teams, although not having a great record against us always gave Gus a tough game. This season we had to wait until the last minute at the Amex and we were held to a draw at their place. Seem to remember that when he does have a half decent team they play good football too. We wouldn't be bored with the football with him as manager, his teams score goals. Ok they concede them to but it is an entertainment game. I'd prefer him than some dull 1-0 manager.

Not touting for him but we could do a lot worse

Indeed.

I'm not touting him as a managerial genius, I'm just staggered by the reaction to him on Uncle Spielberg's thread.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The core of my argument was that he got a double promotion in consecutive seasons whilst spending very little.
No he didn't, Peterborough spent a lot of money in the first few years under MacAnthony, they would have had the biggest budget in League Two by far and a big budget in League One as well.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/p...1072_2006_default_default_alle_a_default.html - £1.9m spent in League Two
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/p...1072_2007_default_default_alle_a_default.html - £875k spent in League Two
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/p...1072_2008_default_default_alle_a_default.html - £950k spent in League One
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/p...1072_2009_default_default_alle_a_default.html - £1.2m spent in the Championship

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/p...1072_2012_default_default_alle_a_default.html - spending this season, hardly tiny either

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The core of my argument was that he got a double promotion in consecutive seasons whilst spending very little. How often do you see that happen?

Added to his United connections, the fact he is still very young and still learning, the fact he has learnt from the absolute master, and the fact that he has previously been proven to bring out the best in CMS.

Agreed he didn't do a great job at PNE though.

1: His United connection has just retired.
2: He is a wifebeater, we are a community club.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Perhaps we should get the best out of CMS by being relegated to League One.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I don't like Fergie Jnr as a person but do admire his achievements on limted resources at Posh, albeit yoyo-ing between League 1 and the Championship isn't the greatest footballing CV.

We are a very ambitious Club with everything geared up for the Prem. So I cannot see Tony Bloom handing control of the Amex and the new training complex to someone who hasn't more of a pedigree at a high level in the game - it would be a tremendous leap of faith to expect Fergie Jnr to lead us to the Prem. No doubt the football might be fun to watch and The Amex might need a bigger scoreboard on the big screens.

Tony showed faith in Gus as a young and unproven manager but suspect he will now be less inclined to take a punt on someone who hasn't some meaningful track record at the top of the Championship or in the Prem (or maybe abroad).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here